SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 105: Django

In today's more PC and SJW climate, films that cast white guys as Mexican's and other hilarity just can't happen anymore like it did in the past. I mean fuck, some people actually get offended at the word Mexican, insisting that you say Latino. My response is the term Mexican is not even a race you stupid son of a bitches, its a nationality. Then the argument ultimately comes that its a form of black face. The practice of white actors playing other races is often referred to as whitewashing.

There are a lot of issues with trying to properly classify people in South America along racial lines. Latino is a linguistic term for people from countries that speak Latin based languages. Hispanic is a cultural based term for people who live in countries that were originally conquered by the Spanish (España = Hispania), so everyone in the Americas in a Spanish speaking country is Hispanic (unless they are 100% indigenous or immigrants from a non Spanish speaking country). Neither are racial terms. They can also be considered geographic terms as South America can also be called Latin America or Hispanic America (in Spanish anyways). But they are not racial! Mexican is as you say, a nationality. The races in the world are black, white, asian, and indigenous And there are Hispanics and Latinos that fall into all of these categories. I did laugh at the brown face they put on the Mexicans. That would definitely not happen now. LOL.

There are a lot of issues with trying to properly classify people in South America along racial lines. Latino is a linguistic term for people from countries that speak Latin based languages. Hispanic is a cultural based term for people who live in countries that were originally conquered by the Spanish (España = Hispania), so everyone in the Americas in a Spanish speaking country is Hispanic (unless they are 100% indigenous or immigrants from a non Spanish speaking country). Neither are racial terms. They can also be considered geographic terms as South America can also be called Latin America or Hispanic America (in Spanish anyways). But they are not racial! Mexican is as you say, a nationality. The races in the world are black, white, asian, and indigenous And there are Hispanics and Latinos that fall into all of these categories. I did laugh at the brown face they put on the Mexicans. That would definitely not happen now. LOL.

Right, because the "brown face" on the Mexicans is a version of doing black face which people get offended at, but, its still happening, its just our techniques to make it look good are not as noticeable. I mean, that is, unless you are talking full Robert Downey Jr. boldness which people seem to give a pass.

th

Pretty fun movie. The opening song is really awesome, it's something I'd listen to if it came up on Pandora or something.

I don't really have much to say about the movie. Fun, gruesome, cool visuals which has already been mentioned. I know they aren't related, but I didn't expect to like this as much as Tarantino's Django. But it's pretty close for me.

I love the way this film is put together and it may be because I love spaghetti westerns but I love westerns in general. For example, when the opening scene begins and we see Django dragging a coffin, the score matches this moment perfectly with the Django theme song even though we have had no lead in or experiences with the film or characters yet. I want to post some of the opening lyrics to that song because it really sets up the idea that this guy has nothing to lose. In prison we call that the mother fucker you don't mother fuckin mess with.

Django!

Django, have you always been alone?

Django!

Django, have you never loved again?
Love will live on, oh oh oh...
Life must go on, oh oh oh...
For you cannot spend your life regretting

Django!

Django, you must face another day

Django!

Django, now your love has gone away
Once you loved her, whoa-oh...
Now you've lost her, whoa-oh-oh-oh...
But you've lost her forever, Django

Usually when we watch a film that @europe1 really likes he blows it out with walls of text that will try to keep out any invaders so its hard to really add to his excellent thoughts on these select films.

th

@europe1 what is the deal with Italians making some of the most awesome westerns? What is their obsession with the wild west? What a strange time in American history and it only lasted really about 20 years, shorter than that if you ask some historians. The thing about spaghetti westerns is they almost always provide a few laughs that crack me up. Here is an example. When Maria is being whipped one of the Mexicans laughs in a hilarious way. He just loves seeing her get whipped.

Timestamped, just watch for 20 seconds. The entire film is available on YouTube so its not a violation to post it here. This is the dubbed version but I'm just using it for hilarity.

In the first 8 minutes of the film we learn so much with so little said. Django is hauling a coffin, the Django theme song sets a somber mood of a man who has had a hard time in life, and we see two warring factions, one Mexican revolutionaries and the other racist southern white men who still don't like Yankees. All in 8 minutes. Its a masterful set up to explain a lot in a short period of time with almost no dialogue. Its not quite on the level of the opening scene of Once Upon a Time in the West but its a damn good first 8 minutes.

Anyway, I really like this movie and I could say more but I'll save it for other posts rather than nuke the thread with another wall of text.

The opening theme song is important too, because it shows Django's motivations. And it explains why he never rode off into the sunset with the girl at the end. His love was killed by bandits.

Also, what is the deal with Westerns and whores? It seems like its a rule that if you are going to make a Western then it must contain at minimum, 1 good guy, 1 bad guy, 2 opposing factions, and at least 1 whore house. I'm not complaining but it seems like there was a lot of whores in the wild west.

If you weren't a house-wife there wasn't much options available to women. And there were lots of widows back then. My parents love reading about the old west and they always complain that westerns lack enough brothels. They were so common back then. The men smelled so bad that paying for sex was the only way they could get it also.

Yeah. I really love that theme song. It works impeccable with the film.

200.gif

That's a huge question, obviously.

One contribution were -- simply -- Mussolini and the Fascists. During WW2, there was an embargo on American films. However, when the embargo was broken, several decades of great American movies where suddenly bombarded onto Italian cinemas. So Italians got to see a whole boatload of the best American westerns in a very short timespan. The future directors who would grow up and make these Spaghetti Western movies -- like Sergio Leone, Sergio Courbucci, Sergio Solima -- all watches these movies in their youths. There was an concertration effect, basically. While in America, people watches all the western as they came out -- in Italy, they watched all the best westerns in a relatively short spann of years.

So this effect created a lot of Italian Western fans. However, while they adamantly loved the genre and its elemental trappings, they were also critical of it. There was basically a cultural difference at work that colour their perspective and assessement of it.

Contrary to popular belief, there were European Westerns looong before Sergio Leone got together with Clint Eastwood. But they all uniformally sucked (except Lemonade Joe... Lemonade Joe is fucking hysterical). Why did they suck? Because they slavishly copied the American formula. They tried to copy-paste American films but, naturally, they could beat the Americans by their own playing rules. The director of this movie, Sergio Corbucci, even made one of them, Minnesota Clay.

What Sergio Leone did -- was to make Westerns after a Italian sensibility. He didn't want to copy the American style but to create his own sub-group of Westerns. This was the 60's after all. Reforming and recreating things were in fashion. American westerns were also being remade by people like Peckinpah. Other directors picked up on this trend and followed.

So here you have a situation with a bunch of directors who grew up watching westerns -- were very knowlagable about the genre -- yet had a mission to see it changed. That a recipe for a pretty dope movement right there.

Corbucci was one of the most ardent disciples of this movement. He said that he deliberately made Django to be a very iconoclastic western. Some examples of how this is a Spaghetti Western as oppose to an Traditional American western:

550px-Django_VLC.png

* Django doesn't ride into town. American cowboys always had horses. Seeing him walk communicates the drudgery and lonesomeness of his situation. Horses signify a sense of freedom -- of being able to travel freely around the frontiers. That's not what Django is about.
Django6-e1436449404251.jpg

* All the design and costuming is very rugged, worn and lived-in. There is a gritty -- yet also evocative -- quality to the production. In comparison, here is a picture from the 1971 John Wayne movie Big Jake (a fairly good film actually), one of the last Traditional Westerns. Notice how prim and straight-laced the clothing is. It's a more classical cowboy design, utilitarian. In Django, there is dirt and grime everywhere. People look more rugged. It gives the film and entierly different feel. There is also a greater attention to detail and ornateness to the production.​

BigJakeSons.jpg

* There is also a more "European and Catholic" sensebility towards morality in Spaghetti films. Characters are cruel and sadistic, almost like animals. However, as we find out, even Django's motivations arn't pure. It's revealed that he wants to escape off with the gold. He isn't the moralistic hero that we first assume him to be. You can also see this in Eastwood's films, where he is a lot more morally ambigious.
Sure you could see ambigiously moral characters in classical Hollywood Westerns. Like, say, the really good The Naked Spurr. But in American Westerns, the entire point of the film was to "overcome" this ambiguity, make the characters wholesome again. In Eastwood's films, there is no "straightening-out" process at all to be had. And in Django, Nero's murky motives is introduced as if the film had just pulled the rug from straight under us. Suddenly he's in-league with the callous Mexicans and really onlt wants a big pot of gold, shooting up the bartenders bar and acting cold-hearted towards his love-interest. It's that Catholic doctrine of everyone being a sinner. There is moral weakness and evil within him. He even kills Federales who seem to be completely innocent. Nero only redeams himself after a whole lot of pain, being crippled, seeing his plans thwarted, and other people dying. You didn't see such harshness before.

* Another point is the focus on music. Italy has a superb music industry. They exploited that fact ruthlessly. So in Spaghetti Westerns, the soundtrack is much more integrated with the movie than it was in American films.

* Spaghetti pictures were also plain more violent and brutal than American's were. John Wayne famously refused to shoot an character in the back, even though it was just a film. Hollywood westerns had to portray a straight-laced morality for its heroes and its use of violence. The Italians went operatic with their violence just as they did with their music and production design (and pretty much everything else I suppose). They made violence a spectable. The violence became a show in-and-of-itself, rather than just something that had to be present in the story. Watch a traditional Western like Rio Bravo. It's a fantastic movie -- one of the best Westerns ever -- but it's use of violence is rather uncreative and stock at its final shootout. Stand behind some cover and shoot at the bad guys standing behind another piece of cover. The Italians made violence into a show that you could have fun with.

EDIT: * Another iconoclastic element is how this movie completely does away with tropes like Cowboys and Indians. There are none to be found in Django (just like in Eastwoods movies). Instead the enemies are more general. There is a war-like atmosphere between the gangs, it isn't just cattle rustling. The Southern gangs racism is more pointedly called out. You didn't see that in traditional Westerns.

* I'm sure there is more... but my fingers hurt...​

Great write-up. There's a documentary on YouTube about Spaghetti westerns and Leone and Corbucci. In it they say "40% of the movies and TV shows produced were westerns. That's an insane amount.

Also in the documentary Clint Eastwood mentions that the laws in America were different. American movies weren't allowed to show someone firing a gun and someone being shot in the same frame. It had to be two shots. This allowed Italian directors to do badass shots like this one, and have the whole shootout from the same angle.
western_showdown.jpg

This helped Spaghetti Westerns to create that rawer, real feel, as compared to American westerns from the time.

Here's the documentary if anyone is interested, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure Europe has seen it, I think he recommended it to me, IIRC.

I have the Django theme song on my computer, I listen to it every now and then and it always makes me smile.

Boy, Beardo bumping this makes me wonder if I should go back and write something up about the films I missed when I had to hang up my club tag because work got too time consuming. I guess I'll knock out Withnail first and then Miracle Mile and maybe the next one before going back.

I have a giant version of this poster framed on my wall. Love this movie.

djangojapaneseposterrr6.jpg

Just a big-time interest in cinema. I've read books and articles on the subject and listened to audio commentaries. Much of what I write is basically me paraphrasing this book from memory. It's absolutely awesome! It's hard to get though, I was thinking about trying to re-aquire it through a library but I just didn't have the time or energy.

12534023.jpg

Needless to say, the book discusses tons of more themes and aspects that I am. I'm just scrapping off the tip of the Iceberg with tese posts.

Yeah. He went big when he started doing comedies but he was in a whole slew of serious Spaghetti westerns before that. Including a few Django films like "Django, Prepear a Coffin", which is one of the better Django cash-ins along with Viva Django and Django The Basterd.

81D2-4xUGsL._SY445_.jpg

To this day, I have never, EVER, laughed as hard as I did when I was twelve years old and watched Terence Hill in They Call Me Trinity. That shit was so hysterical that my lungs hurt. I think it was the first time I ever thought a film was brilliant. When they introduced his brother as the left hand of the devil I thought it was the most clever thing I've ever heard. These days... I honestly don't find the movie funny at all, but the memories remain.

51KbdES4FaL._SY445_.jpg

I almost bought that book before I went to Spain, but didn't have the extra money. It's an expensive book, even the e-book version. One day.

Wow, take it easy bro, lets all just stay calm....I asked you about Italian Westerns and you were ready to draw on that shit.

b2TSQ1.gif

That's awesome. I don't know if you just knew all that or looked it up but it really puts some stuff into perspective. I grew up watching Westerns and Spaghetti Westerns and just loved them as a kid. I can remember watching My Name is Nobody and just thinking it was awesome.

th

In fact, Terence Hill is that sort of unknown, forgotten Western guy that provided some seriously great moments.

Terence Hill and Bud Spencer have a big cult following, read through some of the reviews of their movies on imdb and this becomes apparent. But it's a different fan base from the non-comedic spaghetti western fans, for the most part. So by the standard spaghetti westerns fans he's somewhat overlooked or forgotten.

In case anyone is unaware, Franco Nero even shows up in Django Unchained.

django_jamie_foxxd.jpg

An interesting fact about the original Django is that when it was made, Franco Nero was only 23-years-old, so Corbucci had him grow a beard, and they put fake crow's feet around his eyes to make him appear older and more weathered.

Django-1966-1.jpg

Sometimes being too handsome can be a setback.

I wish I could only speak from experience.

The scene (in Django Unchained) where Django opens the wagon curtains, and shoots up the theatre with the gattling gun, was taken directly from Django 2 as well.

My parents love reading about the old west and they always complain that westerns lack enough brothels.

You can say that about pretty much any historical setting pre-2000nds. There are always two things missing in terms of historical accuracy. Boatloads of prostitutes. And boatloads of animal dung.

American movies weren't allowed to show someone firing a gun and someone being shot in the same frame

That was more of a rule-of-thumb than a hard line that you couldn't cross. But yeah, American censors were pretty strict back then.

I spend way to long trying to figure out which movie this still is from. I thought it was The Fastest Gun Alive from 1956 (very good film) but it seems I was wrong.:D

Boy, Beardo bumping this makes me wonder if I should go back and write something up about the films I missed when I had to hang up my club tag because work got too time consuming. I guess I'll knock out Withnail first and then Miracle Mile and maybe the next one before going back.

That would be the most jei thing you could do.

This is an excellent opportunity to break your Valhalla Rising late-arrival record:p

Back