SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 99 movie!

Cycle 6 / Week 13: Pick the movie!

• Rush (2013)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

Well this was supposed to be Johnson's week, but he's MIA so it looks like Week 99 now falls on me! No theme here. Just a few movies that I think are a bit underappreciated.

Here are our candidates!

Rush (2013)

Director: Ron Howard

Stars: Daniel Brühl, Chris Hemsworth, Olivia Wilde

Premise: The merciless 1970s rivalry between Formula One rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

Why I picked it: It's one of the few movies that I actually went to see twice in the theater. I had never heard of Hunt or Lauda before seeing this movie, but I really found it to be a reveting tale that was brilliantly brought to life by Ron Howard. It's also interesting to see Chris Hemsworth tackle a role like this.

Trailer:

Black Book (2006)

Director: Paul Verhoeven

Stars: Carice van Houten, Sebastian Koch, Thom Hoffman

Premise: In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance.

Why I picked it: I first watched this film several years ago, just to see what the director of Robocop and Total Recall had been up to, and it ended up being a damn good movie. I remember very little about it so it's hard to say exactly why I liked it, but I do remember liking it quite a bit and have been meaning to revisit it.

Trailer:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Director: Robert Wise

Stars: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley

Premise: When an alien spacecraft of enormous power is spotted approaching Earth, Admiral James T. Kirk resumes command of the overhauled USS Enterprise in order to intercept it.

Why I picked it: When it was first released, audiences were turned off by its slow pace and philosophical themes. They wanted Star Wars, but got something more akin to 2001 with a Star Trek theme. Eventually I got around to watching the film so I could judge it for myself, and I found it to be an interesting, thoughtful movie that was also a showcase for effects of its era.

Trailer:

Single White Female (1992)

Director: Barbet Schroeder

Stars: Bridget Fonda, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Steven Weber

Premise: A woman advertising for a new roommate finds that something very strange is going on with the tenant who decides to move in.

Why I picked it: Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh both deliver excellent performances in what is one of the best examples of the early-90s wave of female-led thrillers.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @Strange King @FrontNakedChoke @Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
Voting for the one I haven't seen.

If one of these wins then I'm going to be extra grumpy in the discussion thread.

You know, grumpy, as in surrly or ill-tempered.

This is the sort of mistakes I do when writing on my phone. I am powerless without my Word auto-correct. Blast your english language!

Are you saying that the only film you want to win is the one you voted for, and you're not interested in the discussing the rest?

Are you saying that the only film you want to win is the one you voted for, and you're not interested in the discussing the rest?

Nah. One film I loath pretty bad but I know that explaining why would be quite strenious to articulate. The other three I suspect would be fine discussion material. Almost suspiciously so -- considering my savage bloodfeud with your previous picks.;)

Nah. One film I loath pretty bad but I know that explaining why would be quite strenious to articulate. The other three I suspect would be fine discussion material. Almost suspiciously so -- considering my savage bloodfeud with your previous picks.;)

I can't imagine why you wouldn't like any of these films. . .

I haven't seen two of these, and normally I vote for something I haven't seen, but this time I went for one that seems like it might be fun to talk about. Happy voting peeps.

Lol. I voted and created the 3 way tie.

And I guess everyone has seen Rush and thought it ok but not rewatchable.

Lol. I voted and created the 3 way tie.

And I guess everyone has seen Rush and thought it ok but not rewatchable.

Well it was a two-way tie before that so you just made things more interesting.

As for Rush, I've seen it maybe three times. Enjoyed it each time out.

Btw, what happens now. Is Johnson still alive and will get his turn or are we to assume he's been eaten alive be feral beavers?

Btw, what happens now. Is Johnson still alive and will get his turn or are we to assume he's been eaten alive be feral beavers?

Been meaning to send you a PM about that. He got back to me yesterday and I've got his picks.

Been meaning to send you a PM about that. He got back to me yesterday and I've got his picks.

It was clearly just a ploy so to steal the Week 100 right out from under your nose. Now he gets to bask in the centenial glory.

We could have watched Captain Kirk you bastards.

<DisgustingHHH>

Back