SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 89 movie!

Cycle 6 / Week 3: Pick the martial arts movie with a theme!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@jeicex is up this week and as always he has put together his own OP. So I'm going to step aside and turn the floor over to him:

I've combined the themes of all four suggestions into an even more challenging and fun set of selections. Using shadow_priest_x's "underrated martial arts movies" as an overarching theme (maybe to get Bullitt to join us and subsequently convince him to stick around), while adding in europe1's "movie that centers on a duo", Cubo de Sangre's "revenge movies with female protagonists" and the muntjac's "movie made in or near your hometown". What could possibly go wrong?

Here are our candidates!

Best of the Best (1989)

Theme: Underrated Martial Arts Films

Director: Bob Radler

Genre: Martial Arts

Length: 97 minutes

Stars: Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones, Christopher Penn, Sally Kirkland

Premise: A scrappy US team faces off against a Korean team in a Taekwondo tournament.

Why @jeicex picked it: One of the first underrated martial arts films that came to mind. When you think of those kind of tournament movies, this isn't mentioned nearly enough. A lot of "triumph of the human spirit" and "united we are strong, divided we fall" inspirational stuff in here. Makes you feel good in the end, sort of like if you liked the movie Miracle and you are an American.

Trailer:

Double Impact (1991)

Theme: Underrated Martial Arts Films About A Duo

Director: Sheldon Lettich

Genre: Martial Arts, Action

Length: 107 minutes

Stars: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Geoffrey Lewis

Premise: Long-lost twin brothers reunite to take down a criminal organization.

Why @jeicex picked it: Two brothers, in a van, and then a meteor hits. And they ran as fast as they could from giant cat monsters, and then a giant tornado came. And that's when things got knocked into twelfth gear...A Mexican armada shows up, with weapons made from tomatoes. And you better bet your bottom dollar that these two brothers know how to handle business. Hold on, there's more. Old women are coming, and they're also in the movie and they're gonna come and cross attack these two brothers. But let's get back to the brothers, because they have a strong bond. You don't wanna know about it here, but I'll tell you one thing. The Moon, it comes crashing into Earth, and what do you do then? It's called Two Brothers.

Trailer:

The Next Karate Kid (1994)

Theme: Underrated Martial Arts Films that Take Place Near Your Hometown

Director: Christopher Cain

Genre: Martial Arts, Drama

Length: 107 minutes

Stars: Pat Morita, Hilary Swank, Michael Ironside

Premise: Mr. Miyagi is back with a new student: his buddy's granddaughter.

Why @jeicex picked it: Hardest pick I had to make, because I couldn't think of (or find many) martial arts movies that took place in New England, where I grew up, let alone underrated ones worth revisiting. Sure, this film has been billed as completely unnecessary, but Morita and Swank are still good in it. It gets dumped on a lot, but I found it better than "The Revenge of Cobra Kai" of Karate Kid Part III, and I don't think it deserves the hate it gets if you look at it objectively as a separate film and not as a bizarro sequel/spinoff to Karate Kid.

Trailer:

Chocolate (2008)

Theme: Underrated Martial Arts Films where a Female Protagonist Seeks Revenge

Director: Prachya Pinkaew

Genre: Martial Arts

Length: 92 minutes

Stars: Yanin Vismistananda, Hiroshi Abe, Pongpat Wachirabunjong

Premise: The daughter of a gangster does anything she can to save her mother.

Why @jeicex picked it: Three movies immediately came to mind for this one. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (because everyone always talks about the first), The Bride with the White Hair (Romeo and Juliet and swords vs a cult) and this one. This girl, in her first film, was really impressive - you will be able to see her again in Triple Threat coming soon, which is a film I am excited about more than any other. Chocolate, not to be confused with Chocolat which is just delightful, is definitely strange, but has some fantastic fight scenes and went totally under the radar.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29

Honorary Member: @Bullitt68

I just realized, I have no idea what I'm going to pick.

I just realized, I have no idea what I'm going to pick.

Yeah, I've been sitting here thinking about it for a while.

There's one film that I think could be a good discussion, but I just watched that movie fairly recently. And then another that I love, but I don't think we'll get much discussion out of it and I don't really care to watch it again right now. And then a movie that I've been thinking about rewatching but I suspect it really won't be very good. And then one I haven't seen yet.

chris penn being a believable TMA aside, that movie was pretty dope

well damn, didn't know that

Roberts looked more natural to me, but i could just be subconsciously fatshaming haha

It's funny, of the two guys you mentioned from the film, Penn was the legitimate martial artist and Eric Roberts was just the choreographed actor.

Last edited:
Of the two that were mentioned in the post, Penn and Roberts.

Indeed.

Obviously Phillip Rhee was the most legit of them all. He should go ahead and make Best of the Best 5, which should be the one where he and Eric Roberts go to space.

Easy vote for me, I just voted for the one I haven't seen. Good choices @jeicex

Three of those would be a blast from my past of my childhood, but I held off and went for the one I had never heard of.

Three of those would be a blast from my past of my childhood, but I held off and went for the one I had never heard of.
Gee, considering three were made in the late 80s/early 90s and one ten years ago, I wonder which one you're referring to.

Back