SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 82 movie!

Cycle 5 / Week 8: Pick the bros-helping-bros-out movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@sleepwalk is up this week and he brings us a theme:

Theme of the week: Guys helping each other sort their shit out. (Similar to what happens here on The Sher from time to time.)

Here are our candidates!

Diner (1982)

Director: Barry Levinson

Stars: Steve Guttenberg, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon

Premise: A group of college-age buddies struggle with their imminent passage into adulthood in 1959 Baltimore.

Why @sleepwalk picked it: The first of Barry Levinson's personal "Baltimore" films, it showcases a who's who of 80s talents, headed by lead Tim Daly (who I always felt was just a nudge away from being a big time leading man.) Levinson encouraged improvisation and the dialogue benefits from the natural flow and delivery.

Trailer:

Reign Over Me (2007)

Director: Mike Binder

Stars: Adam Sandler, Don Cheadle, Jada Pinkett Smith

Premise: A man who lost his family in the September 11 attack on New York City runs into his old college roommate. Rekindling the friendship is the one thing that appears able to help the man recover from his grief.

Why @sleepwalk picked it: This one has a personal reflection. Like Don Cheadle's character, I was in a rut (an existential crisis, actually, but that's neither here nor there.) A chance meeting with an old client and friend showed me how much worse it could be and that you can always help and be helped regardless of current situation.

Trailer:

Beautiful Girls (1996)

Director: Ted Demme

Stars: Matt Dillon, Timothy Hutton, Noah Emmerich

Premise: A piano player at a crossroads in his life returns home to his friends and their own problems with life and love.

Why @sleepwalk picked it: Lots of fun and highly quotable with a laundry list of household names (albeit 90s zeitgeist) in pretty much every scene.

Trailer:

Win Win (2011)

Director: Tom McCarthy

Stars: Paul Giamatti, Amy Ryan, Jeffrey Tambo

Premise: A struggling lawyer and volunteer wrestling coach's chicanery comes back to haunt him when the teenage grandson of the client he has double-crossed comes into his life.

Why @sleepwalk picked it: Rather than fall into being a coming of age film, it's about a mid-life guy righting his ship while learning from a kid who doesn't know where he's going and an old man who doesn't know where he is.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @sleepwalk @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r

Tough one here. Used to have Diner on laser disc. Love that movie.

Went with my pick because I keep hearing that it's an underrated film and has a surprisingly good dramatic performance from you-know-who.

wait so this is a thing here? I want in.

wtf.gif

Went with my pick because I keep hearing that it's an underrated film and has a surprisingly good dramatic performance from you-know-who.

Yea I was pretty impressed. I started watching the movie just for laughs at how ridiculous it was and ended up watching the whole thing and enjoying it.

Heads up everybody, we have a new member.

Let's all welcome @jasonrest29 to the Club!

And in this age of Hollywood sexual harassment and allegations thereof, probably best to go ahead and give him a Weinstein-style slap on the ass. Or maybe just pull a Ratner and masturbate at him.

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @sleepwalk @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r

I will definitely file a complaint....... about 20 or 30 years from now.

We have a winner!

diner%20vintage%20poster.jpg

Reign Over Me got off to an early 3-0 lead and I thought this one might be over before it had even gotten off the ground, but Diner came from behind to win.

This is one of those movies where I've seen the box art around for years, but I've never actually watched the film. So no time like the present, I suppose.

All right homies, let's do this thing and be ready for discussion on Wednesday. Thanksgiving excuses won't work next week.

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @sleepwalk @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @jasonrest29

Voted Dinner cause 80's.

:cool:

EDIT: Just realized that there is a difference between the words Dinner and Diner.

Your mysterious english tongue keeps confounding me even in this age...

Whoa. The Movie Club is going old school Mickey Rourke? Time to get the popcorn...

...if you know what I mean ;)

Voted Dinner cause 80's.

:cool:

Just realized that there is a difference between the words Dinner and Diner.

Your mysterious english tongue keeps confounding me even now...

I consonant indicates hard vowel sound. Two means soft vowel. Di vs. Din.

Whoa. The Movie Club is going old school Mickey Rourke? Time to get the popcorn...

...if you know what I mean ;)

You first!

Back