SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 74 movie!

Cycle 4 / Week 12: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@RabidJesus is back, this time with a pretty eclectic set of films.

Here are our candidates!

Okja (2017)

Director: Bong Joon-ho

Stars: Tilda Swinton, Paul Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn

Premise: Meet Mija, a young girl who risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend - a fascinating animal named Okja.

Why @RabidJesus picked it: I love director Bong. Don't really have a better reason than that. It's available on Netflix.

Trailer:

Zero Effect (1998)

Director: Jake Kasdan

Stars: Bill Pullman, Ben Stiller, Ryan O'Neal

Premise: The world's greatest detective Daryl Zero aided by his associate Steve Arlo investigates a complex and mysterious case of blackmail and missing keys for shady tycoon Gregory Stark who is less than forthcoming about what is really happening!

Why @RabidJesus picked it: It's my go-to hidden gem movie. A fun mystery/comedy that was written and directed by Lawerence Kasdan's son that pretty much no one has ever seen.

Trailer:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

Director: Coen Bros.

Stars: George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson

Premise: In the deep south during the 1930s, three escaped convicts search for hidden treasure while a relentless lawman pursues them.

Why @RabidJesus picked it: Still haven't seen it lol.

Trailer:

Pennies from Heaven (1981)

Director: Herbert Ross

Stars: Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Jessica Harper

Premise: During the Great Depression, a sheet music salesman seeks to escape his dreary life through popular music and a love affair with an innocent school teacher.

Why @RabidJesus picked it: Another hidden gem. Back when Steve Martin was at the height of his powers he put everything he had into adapting one of the saddest musicals in the history of depression. Everyone thought it was going to be a comedy so it never really found an audience. I've been meaning to see it for years so now seems like a good time.

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @RabidJesus @usulrah

Easiest pick for me in quite some time. One I have no interest in seeing, another I have no interest in seeing again, and a third I don't feel like revisiting. But that means SPX and I are out of sync again.

Easiest pick for me in quite some time. One I have no interest in seeing, another I have no interest in seeing again, and a third I don't feel like revisiting. But that means SPX and I are out of sync again.

Your pick was my #2.

Went with my #2 pick because my #1 pick I'm much more likely to watch anyway. Good list only seen one film on it

So @europe1, I finally counted up the number of times we crossed streams while voting. We didn't link up until Week 15, surprisingly enough, both picking The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

We voted together for a total of 19 times, one more than SPX and I. Woo.

Thank you for valuing my contribution.

The winner does look good though!

LOL. I actually thought about waiting for you just to give you the chance to vote, but as you can see no matter which way you went it wouldn't have changed the result.

chickenluver failed to participate for four weeks straight and then didn't respond to the two PMs I sent him asking what was up.

Not sure what the deal is. I know he's been on the site because I've seen him post stuff in other threads and he's even liked a few of my posts.

He ghosted us, bro.

chickenluver failed to participate for four weeks straight and then didn't respond to the two PMs I sent him asking what was up.

Not sure what the deal is. I know he's been on the site because I've seen him post stuff in other threads and he's even liked a few of my posts.

He ghosted us, bro.

He is clearly under the influence of the Devil's Lettuce. I knew that damnable weed would turn his mind to mush sooner or later. It is the only logical explanation to this whole ordeal.

He is clearly under the influence of the Devil's Lettuce. I knew that damnable weed would turn his mind to mush sooner or later. It is the only logical explanation to this whole ordeal.

Something clearly happened. Not sure what the deal is. He also oddly didn't show up for the Harakiri discussion even though it was his own film and he had been trying to push that one through from the beginning.

Maybe he just got bored with us and was like, "Fuck those guys!"

Sucks to lose an OG like that.

Back