SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 65 movie!

Cycle 4 / Week 3: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@iThrillhouse says Wassup? this week and has decided to steer us decidedly back toward the mainstream after @europe1's week.

Here are our candidates!

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Directors: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi

Stars: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer

Premise: A documentary team films the lives of a group of vampires for a few months. The vampires share a house in Wellington, New Zealand. Turns out vampires have their own domestic problems too.

Why @iThrillhouse picked it: I heard it was funny.

Trailer:

Apocalypto (2006)

Director: Mel Gibson

Stars: Gerardo Taracena, Raoul Max Trujillo, Dalia Hernández

Premise: As the Mayan kingdom faces its decline, the rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar Paw, a young man captured for sacrifice, flees to avoid his fate.

Why @iThrillhouse picked it: Butt hurt that no one picked it last time, Mel G's best movie he's ever made.

Trailer:

12 Angry Men (1957)

Director: Sidney Lumet

Stars: Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Martin Balsam

Premise: A jury holdout attempts to prevent a miscarriage of justice by forcing his colleagues to reconsider the evidence.

Why @iThrillhouse picked it: We watched this in law class back in high school, but instead of appreciating Sidney Lumet's famous film, I slept....so probably a good time to give'r a watch.

Trailer:

The 13th Warrior (1999)

Directors: John McTiernan, Michael Crichton (uncredited)

Stars: Antonio Banderas, Diane Venora, Dennis Storhøi

Premise: A man, having fallen in love with the wrong woman, is sent by the sultan himself on a diplomatic mission to a distant land as an ambassador. Stopping at a Viking village port to restock on supplies, he finds himself unwittingly embroiled on a quest to banish a mysterious threat in a distant Viking land.

Why @iThrillhouse picked it: I remember liking this movie when I was 9.... but Its on so many lists of "the worst movie ever made!" and "so bad it made Omar Sharif retire from acting" ... but then I also see it on every single "guilty pleasure" lists that it makes me want to revisit it to see JUST WHATS SO BAD ABOUT IT!!!

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @iThrillhouse @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @TheRuthlessOne @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @FierceRedBelt @RabidJesus @RhinoRush

Watched the one I picked about 13 years ago, put it up on the projector at the movie theater I worked at. Haven't watched it since. Should be fun to give it another go.

Eh @shadow_priest_x?

Watched the one I picked about 13 years ago, put it up on the projector at the movie theater I worked at. Haven't watched it since. Should be fun to give it another go.

Eh @shadow_priest_x?

Damn, we are on a fucking ROLL!

I haven't seen it since about the time it first came out, but I remember enjoying it and have actually been thinking of revisiting it. So here we are.

I haven't even voted yet and I'm convinced @jeicex and @shadow_priest_x have chosen the wrong film. There is a ringer on this list and I understand why you might not choose it but you should have.

I haven't even voted yet and I'm convinced @jeicex and @shadow_priest_x have chosen the wrong film. There is a ringer on this list and I understand why you might not choose it but you should have.

It came down to two movies for me: the one I voted for and the one I think is your ringer. Ultimately I decided to go with the film I thought would be the most fun.

I voted for the sole film I haven't seen yet but even I did feel a bit guilty not voting for the one you picked. shadow and blue-named guy's film will make me explode into a cascade of nit-picks (even though I quite like that one).

I voted for the sole film I haven't seen yet but even I did feel a bit guilty not voting for the one you picked. shadow and blue-named guy's film will make me explode into a cascade of nit-picks (even though I quite like that one).

Nitpicks in what regard? Authenticity?

I think I'm actually going to watch my pick regardless of whether it wins. Shit, I might even watch @MusterX's too since I've never seen it and have been meaning to watch it for a while.

I knew it wouldn't have the support to win but I voted for it because its a superb example of smart dialogue and its as relevant today as when it was written. Metacritic scored it a 96/100, on Rotten Tomatoes it scored a 100% with critics and audience members, 103,672 of them, scored it a 97/100. Basically everyone that sees that film walks away thinking it was damn good. @shadow_priest_x hasn't even seen it.

Now I'm 1 Angry Man about it.

Now I'm 1 Angry Man about it.
I couldn't vote for it because I've seen it so many times that I can almost quote it. I watch it almost once a year. Remember, I am an attorney, I've seen all of those law-related movies time and time again.

I couldn't vote for it because I've seen it so many times that I can almost quote it. I watch it almost once a year. Remember, I am an attorney, I've seen all of those law-related movies time and time again.

Fan of the law stuff eh?

So what's the ultimate court movie? 12 Angry Men? Spencer Tracy and Fredric March putting on an acting hoe-down in Inherit the Wind? Analysis of a Murder? Pesci making us laugh in My Cousin Vinny? A Few Good Men? Or are you a fan of the Nazis in Judgement at Nuremberg?

Tell me damit I want to know!!!:D

Fan of the law stuff eh?

So what's the ultimate court movie? 12 Angry Men? Spencer Tracy and Fredric March putting on an acting hoe-down in Inherit the Wind? Analysis of a Murder? Pesci making us laugh in My Cousin Vinny? A Few Good Men? Or are you a fan of the Nazis in Judgement at Nuremberg?

Tell me damit I want to know!!!:D

Voted for the only one I haven't seen, which I almost added to my picks on my last go around.

Muster's pick...okay, no need to be vague...12 Angry Men is a great movie. Henry Fonda puts them all in their place.

Back