SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 53 movie!

Cycle 3 / Week 5: Pick the noir movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@MusterX has the honor of kicking off SMC: YEAR 2! And this week's theme? Noir/Neo-Noir.

Here are our candidates!

Chinatown (1974)

Director: Roman Polanski

Stars: Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston

Premise: A private detective hired to expose an adulterer finds himself caught up in a web of deceit, corruption and murder.

Why @MusterX picked it: Chinatown is considered not only one of the greatest movies of the 1970's but also one of the greatest performances by Jack Nicholson. I couldn't have a Neo-Noir week without including Chinatown. Some will argue that Chinatown was the last great Noir filmed in the classic style, others argue its one of the first in the Neo-Noir style, I don't care. If you are having Noir/Neo-Noir week then Chinatown has to be on that list.

Trailer:

Taxi Driver (1976)

Director: Martin Scorsese

Stars: Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd

Premise: A mentally unstable Vietnam War veteran works as a night-time taxi driver in New York City where the perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge for violent action, attempting to save a preadolescent prostitute in the process.

Why @MusterX picked it: Taxi Driver showcases perhaps one of the greatest anti-hero's of all time in Travis Bickle, played by Robert De Niro. The movie is maybe best described by this quote, "Scorsese is often referred to as the 'Godfather of Neo-Noir ,' because he was one of the first filmmakers to 'rediscover' classic film Noir. Taxi Driver is considered one of the most influential films in 70s revival of interest in film noir. As such, it harkens back to sources in classic film noir. Note in particular the expressionist visual style of Taxi Driver , which features the 'darkness' of the big city and the fog and vapors that rise up from a 'rotting' urban environment."

Trailer:

Angel Heart (1987)

Director: Alan Parker

Stars: Mickey Rourke, Robert De Niro, Lisa Bonet

Premise: Harry Angel is a private investigator. He is hired by a man who calls himself Louis Cyphre to track down a singer called Johnny Favorite. But the investigation takes an unexpected and somber turn.

Why @MusterX picked it: Angel Heart was one of those movies that came along with a little bit of controversy because of a sex scene in the film involving Lisa Bonet, who was rather young at the time. I don't remember how old but the movie caused some controversy. It stars Mickey Rourke when he still looked like Mickey Rourke as well as Robert De Niro. Roger Ebert summed up the film, "This sounds like a million other private eye movies, and, in a way, it is. A few things make it different: a sly sense of humor, good acting and directing, and a sudden descent into the supernatural as Harry Angel discovers the horrifying true nature of his investigation."

Trailer:

Mulholland Drive (2001)

Director: David Lynch

Stars: Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux

Premise: After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality.

Why @MusterX picked it: Taken from Wikipedia: Mulholland Drive launched the careers of Watts and Harring and was the last feature film to star veteran Hollywood actress Ann Miller. It is now widely regarded as one of Lynch's finest works, and as one of the greatest films of the 21st century. A. O. Scott of The New York Times writes that while some might consider the plot an "offense against narrative order ... the film is an intoxicating liberation from sense, with moments of feeling all the more powerful for seeming to emerge from the murky night world of the unconscious."

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @iThrillhouse @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @Coolthulu @AndersonsFoot @TheRuthlessOne @Scott Parker 27 @Mr Mojo Lane @WebAlchemist @the muntjac @Caveat

4 votes so far, one for each movie. I like it. I'll be getting to Coonskin soon, and I look forward to the anniversary threads.

4 votes so far, one for each movie. I like it. I'll be getting to Coonskin soon, and I look forward to the anniversary threads.

Taxi Driver vote is fake (non-member).

And yeah, I want to get a couple of days' discussion under our belt for NxNW so we can officially say we've completed 52 weeks and then I'll post up our anniversary thread. Crazy we made it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed.

I tried to watch Chinatown before and found it boring as hell.

However I was young then, and uncouth.

I actually watched it a couple of years ago and pretty much had the same opinion. I think it's just an overrated film, simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are supposed to select a movie and then view it before we score it a Hate/10.

One of the best fan made videos I've ever seen. The music & lyrics captures the spirit of Taxi Driver perfectly. Mike Patton is one fiendishly marvelous motherfucker. Dude is a vocal chameleon.

I think that's the best combination of "wrong" gifs I've ever seen.

Last edited:
We have a winner!

mulholland-drive-poster-art-gabz.jpg

Yes, that's right, we will be diving into the weird world of David Lynch for the first time in Club history. In fact, this will be the first Lynch movie I've ever watched.

I've been wanting to see this one for years, so I am pleased. I'm sure we'll be having some interesting discussion this time.

So there it is, boys! It's time to get Lynched! Make it happen and be back on Wednesday to discourse.

Attn: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @iThrillhouse @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @BeardotheWeirdo @Coolthulu @AndersonsFoot @TheRuthlessOne @Scott Parker 27 @Mr Mojo Lane @WebAlchemist @the muntjac @Caveat

I'm pretty sure its a movie about a Cowboy.

th

Mulholland Drive is streaming on Netflix right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back