SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 124 Movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 124 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One more vote left. 3-way tie coming in?

Shit I thought it would end now:confused:

We don't have a tie. One non-member voted (though he participates so much he should just join up and be a member)

Now that the pool has run out I can do my top 5 list! Adventure is a rather nebolous, often overlapping subject. Arem't most action and western movies adventures by default? So I'm not counting stuff like Seven Samuraij, Good Bad Ugly here. But here goes.
Nope, westerns are westerns and samurai movies are martial arts movies by classical genre definition. :p Of course there are war adventure movies (Kelly's Heroes), adventure westerns (Jeremiah Johnson) and adventure martial arts movies (Fantasy Mission Force) etc.

4. She (1982 one of my all time favorite B-movies)
I admit! It is actually is even better than my weirdo TOP-5'er Fantasy Mission Force. I just have longer history with the Jackie Chan movie, so I went with that.

) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

Hell yeah, classic Harrihausen!

) Romancing the Stone

Am I the only person who is not hot on Romancing a freaking stone?

5) Princess Bride

HM: Clash of the Titans (the original not the godawful remake), African Queen,

Didn't even think of those. Great additions!

Tarzan and His Mate

Personally, I think the first Tarzan film in that series is the best. Mate is its only competition though. Maureen O'Sullivan is just a gem of a woman. I can think of no other actress who so spiritedly projects loveliness like she does. The series really suffered when she left (and boy that was a series that got weird fast, messing with continuity in every installation).

Fantasy Mission Force

I've seen that movie yet all I remember is thinking it was meh.

“Shut up! We don’t want to hear about your imaginary friends, and how you have movie discussions with Cher’s dog.

Quiet you! Or Tufts will be convinced to nominate Moonstruck!

Cher's dog? Haha.

adventure westerns (Jeremiah Johnson)

I think Jeremiah Johnson is one of the best Westerns of all time btw.

Strange adventure though. Mostly he just meanders around aimlessly and runs into things.

We Have A Winner

The_general_movie_poster.jpg

The General wins via a 5-4-4 score! Let's get silent!

A non-member voted in the poll for Die Nibelungen to make it appear to be 5-5, but alas, earwax.

All the people who wanted to watch Siegfried are right now feeling like
400px-Nibelungen_film2.jpg

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @Deus Ex Machina

Stalker (1979) and The General (1926) in back to back weeks is testing the resolve of the SMC.

th

I love Fritz Lang and was really hoping that that'd win. And I'm honestly not a big Buster Keaton fan and find The General to be the dullest and most overrated of all of his films.

giphy.gif

Don't worry, though, @Yotsuya. I won't be a buzzkill next week. With any luck, The General will have grown on me...

Ah man, that shoot. One of my favorite pieces of symbolism in silent cinema. Its so almost criminally blatant and ostentatious but so heartfelt and great at the same time.

And I'm honestly not a big Buster Keaton fan and find The General to be the dullest and most overrated of all of his films.

Duller than his talkie career? Man I've seen some of those early 30's films. Shit was rough for him.

My personal favorite is his is Three Ages. Some of the jokes like when the loveplay turns into a genuine wrestling match is just hilarious.

I love Fritz Lang and was really hoping that that'd win.

How high do you rank him on your GOAT's list? I'm inclined to squeeze him in there in the top 3 with Kubrick and... Kurusawa, I suppose. While someone like Hitchcock might have had more "great films" and a more consistent career, for all his mastery I'm not sure he ever reached the best levels of Fury, Siegfried or Metropolis. Though Hitchi is a contender for the pedestal as well, of course.

I'll probably have to wait until I get my home-internet back to respond to yours and @sickc0d3r Stalker stuff. But just heads up, the situation appears so grevious that jei could be forced to take next Wensday's nominations as well. So it'll take a while.:confused:

Duller than his talkie career?

No. I should've been more specific. What I meant there was "of his major films." Out of stuff like Our Hospitality, Sherlock Jr., The Cameraman, and Steamboat Bill Jr. - the films that everybody knows and talks about and references as evidence of his greatness - The General is at the bottom of the list.

My personal favorite is his is Three Ages. Some of the jokes like when the loveplay turns into a genuine wrestling match is just hilarious.

I know that one, where he spoofs Griffith's Intolerance, but I haven't seen it. Unlike Chaplin, who I've seen literally everything from, there are more than a few holes in my Keaton viewing. As far as favorites go, it's been so long since I've watched any of his films that I'd just be going off of memory, but from what I remember, I thought The Cameraman was his best. I also remember really loving College, which has the most hilariously audacious romantic comedy ending ever. But I'd need to revisit his work to say anything more definitive than that.

How high do you rank him on your GOAT's list?

Unquestionably top ten. I don't know about top five, but top ten for sure. Kubrick, Hitchcock, and Bergman, in that order, are my 1, 2, and 3. Past the top three, I haven't given it much thought, but Lang would absolutely be in the mix with the likes of Wyler, Cukor, Stevens, Welles, Preminger, Kurosawa, Leone, Scorsese, Cameron, Tarantino, and Nolan. Those are the names that immediately jump out as demanding top ten GOAT consideration. What my top ten list would actually look like, I don't know, but I know for sure that Lang would be in the top ten if not in the top five.

I'm inclined to squeeze him in there in the top 3 with Kubrick and... Kurusawa, I suppose. While someone like Hitchcock might have had more "great films" and a more consistent career, for all his mastery I'm not sure he ever reached the best levels of Fury, Siegfried or Metropolis. Though Hitchi is a contender for the pedestal as well, of course.

You and I have Hitchcock and Lang flipped in our respective esteems. I'd say that, while Lang was more innovative and sort of wrote the playbook that Hitchcock expanded upon, Lang never reached the best levels of Vertigo, Psycho, or The Birds.

I'll probably have to wait until I get my home-internet back to respond to yours and @sickc0d3r Stalker stuff. But just heads up, the situation appears so grevious that jei could be forced to take next Wensday's nominations as well. So it'll take a while.:confused:

200.gif

Huh. Well I didn't know this was a thing but then again I haven't been in the Berry a lot (Sherdog a lot for that matter either). I've seen a good chunk of that list but I'm a film guy so that's abnormal. I guess I just assumed a Sherdog movie club would be can-level just like general posting acumen of the site but now that I see I was wrong, it's more like regional promotion's champ or no. 1 contender with a solid amateur background.

Although I can't believe you guys willingly watched The Room

{<jordan}

Personally, I think the first Tarzan film in that series is the best. Mate is its only competition though. Maureen O'Sullivan is just a gem of a woman. I can think of no other actress who so spiritedly projects loveliness like she does. The series really suffered when she left (and boy that was a series that got weird fast, messing with continuity in every installation).
First is the coherent one and superior in jungle creepiness. Second one is by far the grandest, most adventurous and action filled Tarzan movie ever. Production code took the series into a lot more wholesome direction and then later it went for just whatever. O'Sullivan is one of the pre-code goddesses for sure, but got her wings clipped by the censorship.

I've seen that movie yet all I remember is thinking it was meh.
For me Fantasy Mission Force was the first encounter with the macabre and often surreal Asian war time adventure movies (Golden Queen’s Commandos, Heroes Shed No Tears, Riders of the Doomed Kingdom...). As we're in the subject, I also think it's the only Chan movie that captures the spirit of Keaton's wilder movies (visit to the ghost house for example) and not just copies the stunt work.

I think Jeremiah Johnson is one of the best Westerns of all time btw.

Strange adventure though. Mostly he just meanders around aimlessly and runs into things.
That’s why Jeremiah Johnson is so great movie IMO. A man tries to get away from everything and ends up with a family and a personal war with Indians. One of the few adventure movies I can think of that truly has the spirit of Jack London books, which for me best define the whole wilderness adventure sub genre.

I love Fritz Lang and was really hoping that that'd win. And I'm honestly not a big Buster Keaton fan and find The General to be the dullest and most overrated of all of his films.

giphy.gif

Don't worry, though, @Yotsuya. I won't be a buzzkill next week. With any luck, The General will have grown on me...

Hah, as nominating just silent adventure movies felt a bit radical, I thought I'd soften the blow by including one really mainstream classic with 67 minutes running time and conservatively also voted for it too. I remember that The General was not as whacky as Sherlock Jr. or Three Ages, but I did like it a lot and it fits the bill of an action adventurer. For me Keaton is the greatest silent comedian and one of the greatest film makers of silent era in general.

Also I thought 2.5 hours would be too much for most who might not be that familiar with silent movies and didn't think Nibelungen would get any traction at all. Happy to see that it almost got nominated!

Last edited:
For me Keaton is the greatest silent comedian and one of the greatest film makers of silent era in general.

<DisgustingHHH>

Team Chaplin ride or die :cool:

Also I thought 2.5 hours would be too much for most who might not be that familiar with silent movies and didn't think Nibelungen would get any traction at all. Happy to see that it almost got nominated!

You could've gone the all epic silent Lang route and nominated the two-part three-hour Spider films, the two-part four-hour Die Niebelungen films, the five-hour Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, and the two-and-a-half hour Metropolis.

giphy.gif

Huh. Well I didn't know this was a thing but then again I haven't been in the Berry a lot (Sherdog a lot for that matter either). I've seen a good chunk of that list but I'm a film guy so that's abnormal. I guess I just assumed a Sherdog movie club would be can-level just like general posting acumen of the site but now that I see I was wrong, it's more like regional promotion's champ or no. 1 contender with a solid amateur background.

Although I can't believe you guys willingly watched The Room

{<jordan}

I haven't actually seen the room but after seeing the franco flick parodying it i wouldn't be against it. I forgot the name but that movie was suprisingly excellent. Franco does some trash but every now and then i love him like in pineapple express.

<DisgustingHHH>

Team Chaplin ride or die :cool:
fq6Luc5.gif

You could've gone the all epic silent Lang route and nominated the two-part three-hour Spider films, the two-part four-hour Die Niebelungen films, the five-hour Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, and the two-and-a-half hour Metropolis.

giphy.gif
:D I could have! Call me Ming the Merciful.

I haven't actually seen the room but after seeing the franco flick parodying it i wouldn't be against it. I forgot the name but that movie was suprisingly excellent. Franco does some trash but every now and then i love him like in pineapple express.

The Disaster Artist was fucking great. If you want to cultivate a film knowledge see it just so you know what happens but the Franco one about it is ironically way better of a movie.

giphy.gif

Back