SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's Pick the Week 124 Movie!

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 124 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

jei's Note: This is a temporary holdover measure to help out a homie in need. I'm not taking over, don't you worry. We're going oooooold school up in here this week, with picks from the mid 1920s from Yotsuya.

Here are our candidates!

The Black Pirate (1926)

Director: Albert Parker
Stars: Douglas Fairbanks, Billie Dove, Tempe Pigott, Donald Crisp
Premise: A young nobleman infiltrates a ship full of pirates to avenge his father's death.

Why: Douglas Fairbanks might still be today the most badass pirate on film and The Black Pirate features an action scene that is still one of the greatest and grandest in the history of cinema.”

514Y0PKJ0EL.jpg

The General (1926)

Director: Clyde Bruckman, Buster Keaton
Stars: Buster Keaton, Marlon Mack
Premise: When Union spies steal an engineer's beloved locomotive, he pursues it single-handedly and straight through enemy lines.

Why: ”This is the prototype of the modern action movies: A lone hero on a mission against horde of enemies. Supreme action and stunt work. The General is a unique movie in so many ways.”

234px-The_general_movie_poster.jpg

The Lost World (1925)

Director: Harry O. Hoyt
Stars: Bessie Love, Lewis Stone, Wallace Beery, Lloyd Hughes
Premise: The first film adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic novel about a land where prehistoric creatures still roam.

Why: ”It’s been a long while since I saw this. I just remember, that it’s a wonderful adventure movie.”

377px-The_Lost_World_%281925%29_-_film_poster.jpg

Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (1924)

Director: Fritz Lang
Stars: Paul Richter, Margarete Schon, Hanna Ralph, Bernhard Goetzke
Premise: Based on the epic poem from the 1200s Nibelungenlied, this is the story of Siegfried who goes on a grand adventure to find magical swords and enchanted artifacts, and slay dragons and monsters and everything else along the way.

Why: ”I can’t wait to see this! From today’s point of view I suppose it must be the first megabudget high fantasy adventure movie and Fritz Lang was on fire back in 20’s and early 30’s.”

Nibelung.jpg

Yotsuya's Top Theme for this week is "Top Five Adventure Movies!"

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @Deus Ex Machina

Voted based on google images since no trailers.

Did they even make trailers then? :p

Voted based on google images since no trailers.

Did they even make trailers then? :p
I found a few fan made trailers from 50-80 years later, but they weren't worth including.

Die Niebelungen is a two-part movie totalling 5 hours, so the vote is supposed to be about part 1. Should be like watching Fellowship of the Rings instead of the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy.

• Romancing The Stone
  • The Goonies
  • Raiders Of The Lost Ark
  • The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen
  • Pirates Of The Carribean

I found a few fan made trailers from 50-80 years later, but they weren't worth including.

That's cool. I liked that they're all ancient.

The one movie looks particularly interesting to me.

Just adventure films? That's tough after my obvious number one pick:

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2) The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
3) Lawrence of Arabia
4) Romancing the Stone
5) Princess Bride

HM: Clash of the Titans (the original not the godawful remake), African Queen, Master and Commander
DM: Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, the film that should not be involving a fridge and a nuke

Hmm so I've heard of exactly none of those but I was about -65 when they came out so I suppose that makes sense.

WTF is this? A coup? WHO AUTHORIZED THIS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

How would you even go about locating these films

Library I guess

giphy.gif

Youtube is also a phenomenal resource particularly for silent movies, a lot of which are public domain titles.

1. Tarzan and His Mate
2. King Kong (1933)
3. Conan the Barbarian
4. Sorcerer / Aguirre
5. Fantasy Mission Force

Adventure movies are my favourite genre in a way. Earliest non-cartoon movie I remember seeing in my life is Tarzan and His Mate. It was in a big old movie theatre with my best friend. I also saw as a kid a ton premiering adventure movies like Goonies, Neverending Story, Krull, Howard the Duck, Young Sherlock Holmes, The Jewel of Nile and Golden Child. I still like to chase that feeling of being blown away by a movie like back then.

Last edited:
How would you even go about locating these films

Library I guess
Every movie has been released on DVD several times both in US and in Europe. The Black Pirate, The General and Die Nibelungen are available as excellent restaurations on bluray. I’m sure they are on YouTube/other streaming services too.

This looks like a cool week, and I’m gonna try to get in on this one.

Oh btw, you may not see me as much around here because of a promotion I got at work that demands me to travel and work longer hours. I tried telling them about you guys and they said, “Shut up! We don’t want to hear about your imaginary friends, and how you have movie discussions with Cher’s dog.”

So yeah, I’m not going to be as active anymore depending on workload and other obligations in life. That’s not saying I won’t miss you guys and lady.

D9tRqo3.gif

Oops! Wrong gif...

Cheers!

tumblr_nk3tocUWab1qh59n0o1_500.gif

Top 5 adventure:
1-3. Lotr trilogy
4. Pirates (the first one)
5. Princess bride

One more vote left. 3-way tie coming in?

No internet yet. Still typing on my phone with borrowed wifi.

Now that the pool has run out I can do my top 5 list! Adventure is a rather nebolous, often overlapping subject. Arem't most action and western movies adventures by default? So I'm not counting stuff like Seven Samuraij, Good Bad Ugly here. But here goes.

1. Mad Max 2
2. Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (see why I had to wait?)
3. King Kong 1933
4. She (1982 one of my all time favorite B-movies)
5. Conan the Barbarian

Special mention to Die Nibelungen Part 2: Kremhilda's Revenge, which almost made the list.

WTF is this? A coup? WHO AUTHORIZED THIS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Do not worry fellow SMC member! Everything is at ease! Jei will take care of you all for an undisclosed amount of time right now. I think you should all follow and be lojal to him! He is great leader! What is that you ask? Why no I have not at all been tortured or brainwashed! Hahaha! What a silly thing of you to ask!

Back