SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 111 movie

Sherdog Movie Club: Let's Pick the Week 111 Movie!

• The Shape of Water (2017)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have a Winner

51UtgNizINL._SY445_.jpg

We have a smashing victory! Long time since we've seen such Fedor-esque domination. This is like the opposite of how most votes go, with the well-known favorite that everyone has seen absolutely smashing its competitors. Is Pan's Labyrinth just such a widely-loved filmed?

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu

Its about Satan.

Just kidding.

No but seriously, the debil
th

I've seen all of these movies previously. I voted Pan's Labyrinth because it was the first del Toro film I saw, back when it was recently released, and I remember having liked it very much and thinking it was unlike any film I had seen before. I haven't watched it again, and enough time has past that I've forgotten most of the details. It's been high on the re-watch list for a long time.

As far as the top 10 list, I couldn't think of too many movie dogs. Here's my top 3 all of which I took from the lists of other members.

3. Dog from Up
2. Toto from the Wizard of Oz
1. The Dog-Thing / Thing-Dog / the dog from John Carpenter's The Thing.

Been busy with rabbit holes, bro. :cool:

I'm still trying to digest this revelation. It never even occurred to me that Ted was right in the middle of the Zodiac killings the exact years they happened. And then again with the Tylenol killings he is in the area, working the Chicago area, and his parents house is right in the middle of it all.

I'm still trying to digest this revelation. It never even occurred to me that Ted was right in the middle of the Zodiac killings the exact years they happened. And then again with the Tylenol killings he is in the area, working the Chicago area, and his parents house is right in the middle of it all.

I hear that.

Was Zodiac a fledgling evil-genius killer that turned to political bombings after nearly being caught, or was Unabomber an eco-terrorist copying the style of a sexually-frustrated serial killer? One thing's for sure. Out of all the suspects, Ted is the only one who we know for a fact has attempted murder with a gun and bombs.

What makes things extra juicy is that Ted was an MKUltra test subject. Might be why the feds supposedly agreed to not prosecute Ted for previous crimes? :eek::D

I hear that.

Was Zodiac a fledgling evil-genius killer that turned to political bombings after nearly being caught, or was Unabomber an eco-terrorist copying the style of a sexually-frustrated serial killer? One thing's for sure. Out of all the suspects, Ted is the only one who we know for a fact has attempted murder with a gun and bombs.

What makes things extra juicy is that Ted was an MKUltra test subject. Might be why the feds supposedly agreed to not prosecute Ted for previous crimes? :eek::D

th

What in the actual fuck.

• Ted Kaczynski, a domestic terrorist known as the Unabomber was a subject of MKULTRA. As a sophomore at Harvard, Kaczynski participated in a study described by author Alton Chase as a "purposely brutalizing psychological experiment", led by Harvard psychologist Henry Murray.[89][90] In total, Kaczynski spent 200 hours as part of the study.[91]
Well that just tears it. That takes the story next level because MKULTRA now ties government mind control to the entire thing. What did they do, make some sort of Manchurian candidate out of Ted?

I've seen all of these movies previously. I voted Pan's Labyrinth because it was the first del Toro film I saw, back when it was recently released, and I remember having liked it very much and thinking it was unlike any film I had seen before. I haven't watched it again, and enough time has past that I've forgotten most of the details. It's been high on the re-watch list for a long time.

What did you think of the other three? How would you rank them?

What did you think of the other three? How would you rank them?
1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Cronos
3. The Shape of Water
4. The Devil's Backbone

Keep in mind that I haven't seen Pan's and Devil's Backbone for 10+ years. I saw Devil's Backbone after Pan's, but I remember almost nothing about Devil's Backbone, just that I found it rather boring.

Cronos and Shape of Water I liked quite a bit. Cronos especially is a really odd and inspired take on vampires.

I haven't seen any of del Toro's other films.

How about yourself?

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Cronos
3. The Shape of Water
4. The Devil's Backbone

Keep in mind that I haven't seen Pan's and Devil's Backbone for 10+ years. I saw Devil's Backbone after Pan's, but I remember almost nothing about Devil's Backbone, just that I found it rather boring.

Cronos and Shape of Water I liked quite a bit. Cronos especially is a really odd and inspired take on vampires.

I haven't seen any of del Toro's other films.

How about yourself?

I loved Pan's and Shape of Water. Have not had the chance to watch the other two. Since you ranked Cronos so highly, I am curious to watch it. I thought it would get more votes. I clearly totally underestimated the popularity of Pan's. I also like seeing a director's first attempt. Sometimes there will be a raw and honest quality to it that hints at their potential. And at times, they are a little more free to do what they want as they are not pandering to critics or pre-established expectations. I'll probably watch The Devil's Backbone just to see his take on vampires. I liked your use of "odd." I made me curious.

I love the imagery of his movies. His take on monsters is amazing, and you can see the influence that being a make up guy, as well as the work he did on Exorcist, had on his work. I have seen his other films. I liked Mimic pretty good. It wasn't a bad first Hollywood attempt. I do wonder what challenges he faced filming in the US film capital that drove him to start his own production company in Mexico - The Tequila Gang - Now that is a production company I would willingly work for :)

Blade II was entertaining. As usual my favorite part was his creation of visually interesting creatures. I am very visual, so totally dig the worlds and protagonists he creates, regardless of the movie. And I loved Hellboy because it felt so different to me. Keep in mind, I have zero familiarity with the source material so my opinion is based entirely on the film, with no prior judgement regarding the adaptation.

I chose his Spanish language films though, because a) I had not seen two of them (although in the end I went with Pan's coz it had been so long since I had seen it. 2) I wanted to compare apples to apples, and not include films made under the influence of Hollywood, that were made to appeale to mainstream, mass audiences.

Back