SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 107 movie!

Let's Pick the SMC Week 107 Movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

europe1

It´s a nice peninsula to Asia
@Steel
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC.

2ae773.jpg

sickc0d3r noticed that our old leader shadow_priest_x seemed a bit spooked by all the santanism that has been going on around here lately. So let's see if we can give him a heart attack by having a theme centered around the Devil!

Here are our candidates!

The Ninth Gate (1999)

Director: Roman Polanski

Stars: Johnny Depp, Frank Langella, Lena Olin

Premise: A rare book dealer, while seeking out the last two copies of a demon text, gets drawn into a conspiracy with supernatural overtones.

Why sickc0d3r Picked it: Criminally underrated, perfectly understated. A thinking man's supernatural thriller. My favorite Polanski flick.

Angel Heart (1987)

Director: Alan Parker

Stars: Mickey Rourke, Robert De Niro, Lisa Bonet

Premise: A private investigator is hired by a man who calls himself Louis Cyphre to track down a singer named Johnny Favorite. But the investigation takes an unexpected and somber turn.

Why sickc0d3r Picked it: I picked this one in case anyone's in the mood to watch near perfection in an atmospheric mystery with a great blues soundtrack.

Time Bandits (1981)

Director: Terry Gilliam

Stars: Sean Connery, Shelley Duvall, John Cleese

Premise: A young boy accidentally joins a band of time travelling dwarves, as they jump from era to era looking for treasure to steal.

Why sickc0d3r Picked it: I love the quirky, dark humor and kind of Monty Python meets mythology vibe.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

Director: Terry Gilliam

Stars: Christopher Plummer, Lily Cole, Heath Ledger

Premise: A traveling theater company gives its audience much more than they were expecting.

Why sickc0d3r Picked it: Speaking of Monty Python... this former Python animator Terry Gilliam offering looks interesting, but I have always put off seeing it. Will this be the week?

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @chickenluver @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts

sickc0d3r Top 10 for this week is "Most Quotable movies."

I think I have to think about this one... (and steal other peoples picks)

Last edited:
Oh shit Ive wanted to see one of these for a long time! All great picks though, so its a win win even if mine loses.

Bump because the pool is up!

AoYjv_f-maxage-0.gif

sickc0d3r Top 10 for this week is "Top 10 Most Quotable Movies."

Last edited:
Top 10 most quotable movies

Just off the top of my head.

1. The Holy Grail (if this doesn't top your list then you're not a good list-maker)
2. Life of Brian
3. Dune
4. "I'll be Back"
5. The Princess Bride
6. Once Upon A Time in the West
7. The Big Lebowski
8. Scarface
9. This is Spinal Tap.
10. Tombstone

There is this one friend I have. When he calls me, I sometimes answer the phone with "This is Yuri Boyka most complete fighter in the world!":D

Seen two of four.

Voted for one I haven't seen, but there's another that I wouldn't mind winning.

(Hint: It's the only other one with any votes.)

In whatever order @MusterX prefers.
  • Who's Harry Crumb?
  • Blue Velvet
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Aliens
  • Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
  • Weird Science
  • The Terminator
  • Scarface
  • Monty Python's Life of Brian
  • Miami Blues

Top 10 most quotable movies

Just off the top of my head.

1. The Holy Grail (if this doesn't top your list then you're not a good list-maker)
2. Life of Brian
3. Dune
4. "I'll be Back"
5. The Princess Bride
6. Once Upon A Time in the West
7. The Big Lebowski
8. Scarface
9. This is Spinal Tap.
10. Tombstone

There is this one friend I have. When he calls me, I sometimes answer the phone with "This is Yuri Boyka most complete fighter in the world!":D

In whatever order @MusterX prefers.
  • Who's Harry Crumb?
  • Blue Velvet
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Aliens
  • Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
  • Weird Science
  • The Terminator
  • Scarface
  • Monty Python's Life of Brian
  • Miami Blues

Gonna have to think on this but I can say that both of you must be suffering from amnesia.

No Pulp Fiction?

Seen two of four.

Voted for one I haven't seen, but there's another that I wouldn't mind winning.

(Hint: It's the only other one with any votes.)

So far it's a two horse race between what I really want to win and what I really don't want to win. :mad:

Other than "English Motherfucker. Do you speak it?", can't really think of any quotes from there that I use.

I could imagine that some of our members say the words "bring out the gimp" from time to time

Other than "English Motherfucker. Do you speak it?", can't really think of any quotes from there that I use.

A few that come to mind immediately:

"Royale with cheese!"

"Yes, but you are aware that there is this invention called television and on this invention they show shows. . .?"

"I wouldn't go so far as to call the brother fat. I mean, he's Samoan, what the fuck's he gonna do?" (This one can be modified to fit all kinds of situations.)

"Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'll never know because ain't gonna eat the nasty motherfucker."

"Did you see a sign on my garage that said dead :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: storage?"

And of course. . .

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children."

So far it's a two horse race between what I really want to win and what I really don't want to win. :mad:

I'm surprised that the movie you don't want to win is not a movie that you'd like to revisit.

I'm surprised that the movie you don't want to win is not a movie that you'd like to revisit.

I already know the twist and the film as a whole didn't really resonate with me. One of the films with no votes I've watched numerous times and would much prefer watching it again.

As for those Pulp Fiction quotes, I get more use out of Reservoir Dogs.
  • Where's the commode in this dungeon? I gotta take a squirt
  • He's like Charles Bronson in "The Great Escape." He's diggin' tunnels.
  • I'd go over 10% for that.
  • We got places all over the place.
  • Hold still.
  • Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie... or are you gonna bite?
  • Job type job
  • You shit your pants, dive in and swim.
There's probably more, but you get the idea.

We're about 2 votes from wrapping this up.

Back