***Sherdog Exclusive***Top 3 Performance Supplements, by David Barr

Is taking beta alanine in small doses, say 2grams a day going to show any benefits?

My plan is to take Beta Alanine 2grams before bed

And L-Carnatine 1 gram, fish pill, and a men's multivitamin everyday with lunch or dinner.

This article has inspired me to try taking all these supplements minus the creatine. I am at a point in my life I am realizing that every extreme sport I love I would be twice as good at if I weighed less. So I am trying to really lean up and am well on my way with 0 help from any supplements.

take 4 grams a day, 2 after workout and 2 before bed

and whats wrong with creatine?

I have a question. I rolled my ankle pretty bad about two months ago and it still is swolen after an hour or so of working/walking. I recently found out im extemely vitamin D decicient and ive been supplementing for that. Are there any supplements that can speed up and stengthen my ankle so I can get back to normal soon? Is creatine good since it speed up recovery? PM.

None of the sports I am going for require more strength, only endurance/stamina and agility. And creatine makes me put on weight.

Try using Creatine Ethyl Ester instead of monohydrate.

I always gained weight with the monohydrate and tri-phosphate types of creatine. But the with the ethyl ester im only getting results without the water weight.

Taking "Bsc Creatine Ethyl Ester" ATM

Try using Creatine Ethyl Ester instead of monohydrate.

I always gained weight with the monohydrate and tri-phosphate types of creatine. But the with the ethyl ester im only getting results without the water weight.

Taking "Bsc Creatine Ethyl Ester" ATM

When RaiseTheBarr.net comes back online, you're going to want to go over there and read the Creatine FAQ... or you could just do a search on CEE here, as I'm pretty damn sure the results have been posted here numerous times as well.

Yeah, I have been taking Beta Alanine and L-Arginine for over a month now, and it makes muscle twitch. My eye has developed an annoying slight twitch, various other muscles twitch when i am doing nothing, its not dehydration or lack of potasium.

Also It hasnt really helped anything either. The lack of lactic acid has made me go to the point where my muscles are almost tearing, this is not good! My cardio is slightly better, but not worth all the side effects. Anyone else notice these?

2 months into Beta Alanine L-arginine regime.

Possitives:

-my cardio is for sure better

-very slight gain in muscle endurance

Negatives:

-Muscle twitching (gotten better after 1 month, still very present)

-Tearing of muscle is more likely. (since I rock climb my forearms get heavily used and where i never had issues, now I will push the limit slightly to far and tear my forearms a little. Nothing I cant fully heel from in a week or 2, but it has happened 3 times in 2 months.

Bottom line:

I am abandoning this supplement. If you are a long distance athlete, it would help. I never lifted weights so I dont know how it would effect that. But for rock climbing, it is more a hazard than a help.

Signing out --->

I only get the twitches when my carbs are too low. I'm prone to muscle strains whenever my legs are tired regardless of whether I'm taking alanine or not. I'm not taking the carnitine b/c I don't like the antsy feeling it gives me.

Ok report from almost 2.5 months of usage. The twitching has mostly gone away, the buggy eye twitch fully gone, but I still get random muscle twitches every now and then, not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning.

And I can for sure tell my cardio is better.

Also my ability to maintain strength and endurance is longer now. I went 2 weeks without doing any hard cardio, and when I did Bas Rutten 3 minute rounds I hadn't lost a step.

Also I didnt do pushups for roughly 2 weeks, and I can still do just as many. So the ability to maintain my level of fitness with less effort = awesome.

I think I am do heavy weights for a 1 month cycle and see how much I can gain.

Ok report from almost 2.5 months of usage. The twitching has mostly gone away, the buggy eye twitch fully gone, but I still get random muscle twitches every now and then, not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning.

And I can for sure tell my cardio is better.

Also my ability to maintain strength and endurance is longer now. I went 2 weeks without doing any hard cardio, and when I did Bas Rutten 3 minute rounds I hadn't lost a step.

Also I didnt do pushups for roughly 2 weeks, and I can still do just as many. So the ability to maintain my level of fitness with less effort = awesome.

I think I am do heavy weights for a 1 month cycle and see how much I can gain.

is this usage of BA or what?

I would have to say, regardless of what type of athlete you are, BCAA's are one of the most valuable supplements anyone can take. If you take a product like Scivation's Xtend (at least it has a scientific study on it) and combine BA with it, killer combo. With athletes that are on a restricted diet and typically overtrain, they will see incredible results with that combo.

I thought I had been taking AIFM but it turns out I was taking Beta Alanine. I remembered reading this thread many months ago and I came back to reread it. I didnt really notice it till now..... but Ive been doing 1.5 hour rolls, and more recently 3-3.5 hour rolls, I average 4/5 rolls every session, 10 minute rounds. My buddy who as far as Im concerned in better shape in every way (stronger, lower bf%, doesnt smoke cigs/weed) is gassing way tougher/quicker than I am.

Then I remember training back in the states and gassing after 1 hour session with 20-30% of the time spent on technique.

Beta Alanine is the fucking shit!

If we are considering protein as a supplement I would have to take out Carnitine as one of the three and replace it with a good quality whey protein, having a blend of more whey isolate then concentrate. Without the sufficient amount of protein an athlete needs, Creatine and Beta Alanine can only do so much. Rule of thumb 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, divided up 5-6 X

If we are considering protein as a supplement I would have to take out Carnitine as one of the three and replace it with a good quality whey protein, having a blend of more whey isolate then concentrate. Without the sufficient amount of protein an athlete needs, Creatine and Beta Alanine can only do so much. Rule of thumb 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, divided up 5-6 X

Shit just got real-
Put in my order with True Protein and picked up a pound of Creatine Monohydrate and 100 grams of Beta Alanine. I already have Whey Protein, some fish oil. Next pay check I'm going to stock up on some frozen greens. Not as good as organic greens, but I'm a college student. Can't afford to be political about it.

I'm going to try to keep taking Beta Alanine, so I'll order another 200g in about 4 weeks, maybe less.

Taking whey along with creatine won't have any long term negative effects on my liver will it? My plan is to take my daily dosage of creatine about an hour before working out, and then take whey in my post work out.

Do I take my beta alanine an hour before working out with creatine monohydrate or should I take it PWO with my whey shake? I know I'm going to take about 2.5 grams before working out and 2.5 grams before bed. On rest days I'll do 2.5 mid day and 2.5 before bed.

Back