Sherdog 2014 Game of the Year Poll

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So we've had a solid 14 weeks to play through even the last titles released in 2014, and now that the all the major awards have been announced I thought I would make a poll for us to put our own stamp on it.

Honorable Mentions
Alien: Isolation
Banner Saga
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Bravely Default
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Endless Legend
Far Cry 4
Forza Horizon
FIFA 15
LittleBigPlanet 3
Mario Kart 8
Monument Valley
NBA 2K15
Shovel Knight
The Talos Principle
Titanfall
Threes!
Transistor
Velocity 2X
The Wolf Among Us

**EDIT**
Polled Games by North American Sales according to VGChartz
In Descending Order of Our Vote Total as of this Edit
  1. (1.52m) Dragon Age: Inquisition
  2. (0.68m) Dark Souls 2
  3. (0.82m) South Park: Stick of Truth
  4. (1.71m) Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  5. (0.35m) Bayonetta 2
  6. (5.32m) Destiny
  7. (2.7m*) Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
  8. (N/A) Divinity: Original Sin
  9. (N/A) Endless Legend
  10. (N/A) Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  11. (4.20m) Super Smash Bros. {Wii U & 3DS combined}
Note #1 >> I also added in the only write-ins with 2 mentions a piece since it was as many votes as Divinity or Hearthstone received. These were Endless Legend & Diablo 3: RoS.
Note #2 >> Reaper of Souls reportedly has sold 2.7m units, but globally, not in North America alone. I had to pull this from a separate source since VGChartz didn't separate this expansion's sales.
Note #3 >> Both Divinity: Original Sin & Endless Legend apparently sold fewer than 10k physical units in North America, so neither tracks on VGChartz. The majority of those games apparently sold via Steam, and apparently also to overseas gamers. It's impossible to know their total sales. Note #4 >> Hearthstone, meanwhile, is on the Free-to-Play model. There are over 25 million registered accounts.

Last edited:
Out of all those games i've only played Shadow of Mordor and Advanced Warfare haha, my vote goes for Shadow of Mordor.

Out of those I've played:
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Destiny (got it a few weeks ago)
Divinity: Original Sins (about 5 hours- been meaning to get back into it)
Dragon Age: Inquisition
South Park: Stick of Truth
Super Smash 3DS

And I would definitely say DA:I is my favorite. Destiny probably will see more playtime since it's multiplayer. I loved South Park too but it was short. Super Smash is fun and I'd play it more if my 2.4ghz speed wasn't complete shit at the apartment I'm living at. Advanced Warfare is pretty fun too.

Tough pick this year, considering the bounty that was 2013. I guess it's between Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, and South Park. Probably South Park, I suppose, but I'll waffle every time I play another game. I also didn't play a ton of the games on that list so I couldn't pick them in good conscience.

I was a bit disappointed with The Talos Principle. I appreciated what it was going for, but it didn't hook me at all. I don't have time for a ton of games, so in a world where Talos and Portal exist, Portal will win every time.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 2 i'd say. Destiny is up there too, i put a ton of hours into it, haven't played in around 6 weeks though.

Other games i really liked were Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, Shadow Of Mordor and South Park

Only played a few of those (Destiny, Mordor, SP), but I found South Park to be the most well done. Despite simpler graphics it looked exactly like the show, had a great story and was incredibly fun and interesting to play

Man what a shitty year for games. Dark Souls 2 was the only good thing.

Including the honorable mentions I've only played 7 of these, and wouldn't say they were anything special

I suppose I'll vote for Divinity. I was seriously butthurt at some of its mechanics, but that was more me being an impatient asshole and not really a legit fault of the game.

For me it was down to Dragon Age, Destiny, Mario Kart, and Far Cry. I went with Dragon Age because I put well over 200 hours into it and I didn't even do everything.

I spent most of 2014 playing EU4. I know it is a 2013 game, but still much better than most of the listed options.

I voted for destiny. It's the only game I'm still playing, I mean like now. I'm playing this game.

It's got a lot of faults but none of them matter when it's do much fun.

I spent most of 2014 playing EU4. I know it is a 2013 game, but still much better than most of the listed options.

I tried getting into EU4 but holy shit nothing brings out my inner-retard like a Paradox game. I had the same problem with Hearts of Iron

I heard Crusader Kings 2 doesn't have that steep learning curve, so I should get that and hope it eases me into the more complex games

Bayonetta 2 should win however i understand that it wont because most of sherdog probably doesn't own a wii u. Rightfully so because as a game console it is lacking.

I've only played DS2 and Shadows of Mordor on that list, so I feel like I shouldn't vote.

Dork Souls 2, easiest pick in awhile. Bayonetta 2 was a really great game though and is easy runner up.

The two I put the most hours into and enjoyed playing the most were Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dark Souls 2.

I picked Dragon Age: Inquisition because the game did a great job developing the characters and I played it with my wife who is now obsessed with that game. She is even reading the Dragon Age books.

Honorable Mention: Dark Souls 2

Other: Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

Back