Shaolin Kung Fu fighter - Yi Long KO'd while showboating like Silva

Yin Yang

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Was browsing youtube and came across this Shaolin Kung Fu VS Muay Thai fight video. In most instances, with these style vs style videos there is always a one sided beat down, but in this case it was actually a good display of kickboxing.

[YT]NSd2W3miaOM[/YT]

Interesting things to note from the video:

1. The Shaolin Kung Fu guy Yi Long was doing very well and probably winning the fight up until the KO

2. Like Silva, prior to getting KO, Yi Long had his hands down, goading his opponent to hit him. Even worse than Silva, he actually wasn't dodging or leaning back to evade any of the punches.

3. It appears that from his other fights on youtube, this is what he does, just stands there and lets them unload on him without moving, and he doesn't get knocked out. Is he trying to prove something?

4. Cecil Peoples is reffing the fight LOL

He wasn't pulling an Anderson Silva. He was a victim of "Bullshido". That's when you've been studying too much mystical ancient secrete techniques. In this case he was trying to show off his "iron shirt" technique and learned what it doesn't work.

yeah i think so too. he was putting his qi to the test.

i think it failed.

I can't believe how staggered he had the American in the first round.

He should have stopped fooling around and just used the Dim Mak already

He's an idiot.

Cockyness was his downfall not his qi or martial skill....

People often tend to forget the spiritual side (character building side) to martial arts, even though I'm pretty damn young, I can see the wisdom in it - you need a calm & neutral mental state when fighting - being emotional or giving into the excesses of character compromises the self - both in a fight & in life - a true martial artists applies these spiritual lessons to life not just fighting.

It's a shame actually imo, to see Yi Long - a shaolin kung fu fighter - a style that is quite intimate with zen buddhism & heavily ingrained in it's fighting philosophy - behave so cockily - doesn't give a good impression especially to any students he may teach.

Anyway this has turned into quite the ramble....

I've seen this guy before on youtube. As you've noted, this is his 'thing.' He lowers his head and walks into punches. I don't think it has anything to do with his style or his strategy, it's almost his 'trademark.' Likely, it is his way of being a 'bigger name' and how he gets promoters to pay him more. I wouldn't recognize him if I didn't remember him just walking into bombs like they were nothing.

Alas, either his chin is fading or that American packs a fuck ton of a punch.

Yi Long is a bit of a controversial figure. Wulinfeng has been trying to make him the face of their promotion and has made all sorts of unsubstantiated claims about his backstory, but the fact of the matter is that he isn't a full-fledged, ordained Shaolin monk as he doesn't have the surname Shi. I've heard he's just another Sanda guy that has spent some time training at the Shaolin temple, but was never ordained or spent any major part of his life there.

A little more source info:
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/90872/7244745.html

He was pulling it off till that left got him on the button...

His main problem was pulling his head upright while not stepping back at all. He lost any support his neck hand and didn't turn it at all or duck into the punches. This guy has nothing on Mayorga:

I bet he can defend a guillotine though, something El Matador needs to work on

I doubt very much this dude could do that.

what I'm more amazed with is how he seems to understand distancing quite well and appropriately moves in and out pretty well (except for the ko) and judges when attacks are coming his way but his delivery and technique is not very good and even quite sloppy. I see that for someone to have the amount of experience to effectively understand distancing, they must have been training for a while and develop good technique on their delivery of attacks. this guy, not so much

He has terrible knees, no power, no hip extension.

Are there in fact any Shaolin monks of good level that test themselves in the ring or cage?
Have had this discussion with a friend of mine for quite some time and he believes that a true Shaolin monk does not have the desire to test himself in the ring and therefor we only get to see the weak extracts.
Also the whole gloves thing does not go well with the Shaolin technique he says.
I disagree with him on all besides the glove thing, thoughts?

Are there in fact any Shaolin monks of good level that test themselves in the ring or cage?
Have had this discussion with a friend of mine for quite some time and he believes that a true Shaolin monk does not have the desire to test himself in the ring and therefor we only get to see the weak extracts.
Also the whole gloves thing does not go well with the Shaolin technique he says.
I disagree with him on all besides the glove thing, thoughts?

Most of the techniques Shaolin Monks use are banned in kickboxing and MMA. Shooting fireballs and electricity out of your hands was officially banned in the Unified Rules in 1997.

^^^^

LMAO.

On a serious note - most guys who claim to be shaolin monks are not. In fact there are probably no legit monks fighting in any entertainment show anywhere in the world - I'd wager.

^^^^

LMAO.

On a serious note - most guys who claim to be shaolin monks are not. In fact there are probably no legit monks fighting in any entertainment show anywhere in the world - I'd wager.

Pretty much. To my understanding if one did compete, they'd get the boot. But I'm not Shaolin monk expert so what do I know.

Kind of goes against pacifism.

Back