Shadowboxing critique

GhostofGibran

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Also posted in support.

How do I post videos from my iPhone?

Sorry I’m sure I’m an idiot. I click upload file on thread creation, choose my video, it compresses, and then nothing happens. I’m back where I started.

Need the striking forum to pick apart my shadowboxing. Please help!

Anybody help a brother out so you all can critique my shadowboxing?

Last edited:
Also posted in support.

How do I post videos from my iPhone?

Sorry I’m sure I’m an idiot. I click upload file on thread creation, choose my video, it compresses, and then nothing happens. I’m back where I started.

Need the striking forum to pick apart my shadowboxing. Please help!

Anybody help a brother out so you all can critique my shadowboxing?
Upload it to youtube, then post the YT url here

Thanks!

So I see plenty of flaws, hoping all the striking nerds here can spot some more.

don't lead with uppercuts. the double left hook looks good. watch the ribs on the left side. it's the first thing i would look for. (it's a bad habit i have also, overprotecting against the right to the head leaves the ribs open). step across and set your weigh on the left hook more.

You're not really punching.
Moving your head and thinking about blocking is great but you've got your hands loose and you're not actually punching especially on the 1 and 2.
You're just sort of pushing your arm forward a few inches no internal hip rotation and all from the elbow which means you're at least 6 inches short of your full reach. Shadowboxing is where you can really get into bad habits of "punching short".
Also as has already been said a naked uppercut with nothing to hide it especially if you don't move afterwards is begging for a left hook across the chin.

Also as has already been said a naked uppercut with nothing to hide it especially if you don't move afterwards is begging for a left hook across the chin.

Unless you're countering something. There are plenty of reasons to lead with an uppercut in MMA. People do it all the time.

TS, I think you look tense. you could try to work on the technique of individual moves and make sure you are using your legs and hips, turn your body, and extend your punches with less tension. some of your defense is tense as well.

sometimes when people say that you look tense, it means they are seeing tension in your body that isn't related to your movement - not efficient.

Unless you're countering something. There are plenty of reasons to lead with an uppercut in MMA. People do it all the time.
Yes normally after the threat of the takedown has been established and you can catch them on faked shot sprawling into it ala Chad Mendes or if you're so tall and long for the weightclass that your opponent keeps falling short ala Gus' Vs Texiera. But as a general rule and especially for a beginner it's a bad idea.

it's a risky move and generally not one i advocate. unless you are countering something. i have boxed for a while, and i find if you look for an uppercut you get countered, it only works if you opponent puts their head in the right position. some opponents you uppercut heaps. others not at all.

Yes normally after the threat of the takedown has been established and you can catch them on faked shot sprawling into it ala Chad Mendes or if you're so tall and long for the weightclass that your opponent keeps falling short ala Gus' Vs Texiera. But as a general rule and especially for a beginner it's a bad idea.
i figure you have boxed a bit. i have boxed for years and still can't throw the counter uppercut effectively. the way george benton threw it was poetry.

i figure you have boxed a bit. i have boxed for years and still can't throw the counter uppercut effectively. the way george benton threw it was poetry.
Fair few years now yes. I find It's possible in the pocket off the shoulder roll against the 2 or one of my favourites is if you see your man reaching on the left hook to the body then block it with elbows tight and straight away bang a short uppercut into his jaw before the left fist can get back to his chin. Ahh man Benton had that shoulder roll defense on lock.

Fair few years now yes. I find It's possible in the pocket off the shoulder roll against the 2 or one of my favourites is if you see your man reaching on the left hook to the body then block it with elbows tight and straight away bang a short uppercut into his jaw before the left fist can get back to his chin. Ahh man Benton had that shoulder roll defense on lock.
i was just watching his fight with carter, his defence was so efficient it was amazing. the way he used his offence to keep his opponent off balance was masterful.

just never been able to get past the right hand counter, makes me kinda predictable. the only time i really use uppercuts is against duckers or people that superglue their hands to their face. then its the old tyson right body shot right uppercut.

I never just lead with an uppercut in sparring, in fact I barely throw them at all, which is why I’ve been focusing on them. When I’m throwing them here I’m either visualizing countering a sloppy clinch attempt or an overcommitted right hand from too far out, as those are the only scenarios where I’ve had any real success with it in the past. So having said that, any tips on how to set up the uppercut on my own terms? I mean I know the general ideas of course but I always struggle to do it and I’m noticing now that I’ve just kind of given up on throwing it in sparring (minus the occasional counter).

Please help! Also, thoughts on the uppercut otherwise? Form, balance, transfer, etc.? I have other questions and comments but I’ll take it one topic at a time.

Thanks again dudes

Also, are all these comments in regards to the first video? Any thoughts on the second?

I never just lead with an uppercut in sparring, in fact I barely throw them at all, which is why I’ve been focusing on them. When I’m throwing them here I’m either visualizing countering a sloppy clinch attempt or an overcommitted right hand from too far out, as those are the only scenarios where I’ve had any real success with it in the past. So having said that, any tips on how to set up the uppercut on my own terms? I mean I know the general ideas of course but I always struggle to do it and I’m noticing now that I’ve just kind of given up on throwing it in sparring (minus the occasional counter).

Please help! Also, thoughts on the uppercut otherwise? Form, balance, transfer, etc.? I have other questions and comments but I’ll take it one topic at a time.

Thanks again dudes
if you want a critique on balance and weight transfer we need to see your legs and feet.

I like: You're clearly imagining an opponent. (I thought it was obvious you were countering with the uppercut by the way.) I would take it a step further and add more pivots and footwork, although since you had some of that in there you may have just been trying to face the camera. But on your own, be mobile as hell. Shadowboxing is all about getting the perfect scenario down in a relaxing environment.

I don't like: You not extending your jab or just punches in general. Shadowboxing is a great time to practice technique. Throw everything perfectly.

I also don't like whatever that rear hand haymaker thing is. You throw a few different versions of it. Ask your coach about rear hand hooks or overhands or whatever you're trying to do. Both of those are harder than you think to throw correctly.

Thanks again dudes
sounds like you on the right track. they really comes into play against certain opponents. i find the easiest uppercut to use aggressively is the right body shot followed by the right uppercut if you trap them on the ropes. i have always found you can't look for an uppercut, they put their head in the right place you uppercut. looking for uppercuts tends to lead to reaching with uppercuts and that is dangerous.

Follow through on your punches (see sig for inspiration). You're also quite stiff. Be water, my friend. How you transfer energy is vital. Focusing on fluidity is important when developing your skills. You move your body via electrical impulses, and you can get better at how you manipulate the flow of these impulses through meditative movement - think tai chi, for and example of one such way of improving in this area.

Toy around with how you govern balance - proprioception practice. Shift your weight around a bit (front foot to back foot, leaning forward to sell an illusion of closeness for pull back counters, and so on). How you utilize gravity to your advantage is a skill in and of itself. One not to be overlooked in its intricacy.

Letting your fist/arm be dead weight at specific intervals isn't a bad thing, as it will help you generate momentum and force. Like the head of a hammer as you swing it.

As the old saying goes, "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.". You should be throwing like you would in an actual fight, aside from a brief warm-up period in which you loosen up.

That you're working in blocks and head movement is a good thing, and not solely focused on offense. So that is a positive.

Keep at it, and props to you for offering up yourself for criticism.

Last edited:
Back