Shadowboxing critique

Inquisitus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In the spirit of all the critique videos I've commented on, it's my turn now to jump into the flame. So, please critique away this shadowboxing video. Apologies in advance for the crappy quality and bad angle. I literally propped my phone up against the wall.

In case it's not obvious, this was meant to be kickboxing.

I hate it when people walk in when I'm shadowing lol. Why didn't you throw some more punch combinations?

But you look like you know what your doing, your a step above me so can't really give anything helpful.

You tense your legs and straighten them during punch combinations. Stay bent and hold the earth with your feet. You could use a little more hip as well. You only move one direction when you're striking... forward. Try to do some sideways attacks (like your sidestepping uppercut... that was really good).

That girl that walked thru looked cute.
Either way, don't be timid about shadow boxing in front of people. If you're worried about what people think, then you're not showing the commitment you need to. Do you just DO kickboxing or ARE YOU a kickboxer? Kickboxers shadowbox, it's just what they do. Next time someone comes through look at them, smile and nod like you're the aerobics instructor warming up for the next class he's gonna teach. Shadowboxing is where you belong.

In the spirit of all the critique videos I've commented on, it's my turn now to jump into the flame. So, please critique away this shadowboxing video. Apologies in advance for the crappy quality and bad angle. I literally propped my phone up against the wall.

In case it's not obvious, this was meant to be kickboxing.

Good points I noticed:
you keep chin tucked
knees bent

Keep it up!

Couple of notes:

1) Do NOT look sideways at the mirror. This is a terrible habit. Envision your opponent before you, or moving around you, look at that guy.

2) The moment you begin punching your back foot kicks outward. This shifts all of the pressure to your front hip. Not only does this sacrifice power, but it also leads to that front hip being stiff (but strong) and the back hip being more loose, but weak. Keeping the back foot under or close to the rear hip (your right hip) will also make your teep a lot easier and you won't have to hop into it even as dramatically as you do.

3) I can see by your movement that you're more externally rotated than internally, your knees easily point away from each other, not so easily towards each other. This is going to mean that the "back foot in a bucket" problem is going to be especially potent when you throw the right hand. Everything will shift forward except the right foot, unless you work on your hip rotation AND practice bringing the right foot with you when you throw the right hand.

4) The good news about being externally rotated is your hook will be hard as hell, basically any circular punch will be. So throw that often in sparring.

I hate it when people walk in when I'm shadowing lol. Why didn't you throw some more punch combinations?

But you look like you know what your doing, your a step above me so can't really give anything helpful.

Haha, i didn't mind cause it was my condo's public gym area and the camera was propped up behind a jog in the wall. Plus, she wasn't bad looking.

I have a bad habit of being a defensive potshotter. I wait for the other guy to attack before i do anything. Then, when i connect, i try to unload. Although when i think about it, in sparring, i forget to do the unloading part. Thanks for commenting.

apizur said:
You tense your legs and straighten them during punch combinations. Stay bent and hold the earth with your feet. You could use a little more hip as well. You only move one direction when you're striking... forward. Try to do some sideways attacks (like your sidestepping uppercut... that was really good).

That girl that walked thru looked cute.
Either way, don't be timid about shadow boxing in front of people. If you're worried about what people think, then you're not showing the commitment you need to. Do you just DO kickboxing or ARE YOU a kickboxer? Kickboxers shadowbox, it's just what they do. Next time someone comes through look at them, smile and nod like you're the aerobics instructor warming up for the next class he's gonna teach. Shadowboxing is where you belong.

Thanks for the feedback. I stopped just to let her through because the area is not that big. I definitely prefer attacking ahead, must be the karate guy in me. Even in sparring, i will move back and around and not strike. Gotta think about how to do this one though.

NVSemin said:
Good points I noticed:
you keep chin tucked
knees bent

Keep it up!

Thanks! When i first converted to kickboxing/MT, my jaw would get smacked around and actually hurt. I promised myself never to let anyone touch the side of my jaw. Unfortunately, i still let people in through the front door.

Not bad man. I like how you work in defense. Looks pretty technical, clean and crisp.

Things I would suggest - work on flow. You seem like you think really hard. No problem with thinking, but try to relax your mind and find your flow... imagine your opponent in front of you like sinister said. Have fun with it. Didn't see very many knees or teeps. Try to cut more angles intentionally as you throw combos. Just relax and enjoy yourself. Good work!

Positives:

You move around, simulating vying for position, and you have defensive motions mixed in.

Things to work on (IMO):

Overall, you seem to be relaxed for the most part just moving around; but as soon as you start using your hands and feet things become disconnected. Basically there's still a lot of friction in your some of your striking. Try to stay completely relaxed when you punch and kick. I.e. get loose, let your hands go a little more, let your legs get full extension and don't try to pull them or slow them down.

As far as specifics...your punches are way too close at times, your uppercuts especially. There's times when you're standing tall and your uppercut is literally right in front of your face. Get down lower, let your hips do the work on that punch if you're going to use a more vertical pathway. Otherwise you're going to need to extend it out a little further since the guys head isn't going to be RIGHT in front of yours when you're standing tall like that unless you're in clinch range...speaking of which, for variety you can try and add some clinch work during my shadowboxing as well. Simulate getting certain grips and throw your knees. It's great for your core. Also, where were the knees, elbows, and so forth?

On your leg checks, make sure you always come back with some counter. It doesn't have to be a same-side kick either. It can be punches, or a kick from the opposite leg as well. But get used to giving your opponent something back for trying to hit you.

Your kicks need some polishing too. You're seemingly trying to pull them. Relax your leg and torque your hip. Let the leg just go. Hump the air, let the kick go just past the impact point and then down, then bring it back. Try switching up the angles and kicking immediately after with the other leg. It's good practice to get your feet moving a little quicker. Don't forget about lead leg kicks, switch kicks, low kicks, and downward (neck) kicks too!

Lastly, you should have worked on talking to that chick too. Tsk Tsk.

Couple of notes:

1) Do NOT look sideways at the mirror. This is a terrible habit. Envision your opponent before you, or moving around you, look at that guy.

2) The moment you begin punching your back foot kicks outward. This shifts all of the pressure to your front hip. Not only does this sacrifice power, but it also leads to that front hip being stiff (but strong) and the back hip being more loose, but weak. Keeping the back foot under or close to the rear hip (your right hip) will also make your teep a lot easier and you won't have to hop into it even as dramatically as you do.

3) I can see by your movement that you're more externally rotated than internally, your knees easily point away from each other, not so easily towards each other. This is going to mean that the "back foot in a bucket" problem is going to be especially potent when you throw the right hand. Everything will shift forward except the right foot, unless you work on your hip rotation AND practice bringing the right foot with you when you throw the right hand.

4) The good news about being externally rotated is your hook will be hard as hell, basically any circular punch will be. So throw that often in sparring.

Thanks for the detailed notes. I had to read and absorb for a couple of days to understand them. Regarding notes 2 & 3, I may have to chalk that down to karate training. We were always taught to push off the rear leg for shifting or reaching. I'll have to look at some of your vids on what the back leg should look like on the rights.

I do try to throw the left hook on people coming in or setting them up with a couple of weak 1-2's then pop them when they react.

Positives:

You move around, simulating vying for position, and you have defensive motions mixed in.

Things to work on (IMO):

Overall, you seem to be relaxed for the most part just moving around; but as soon as you start using your hands and feet things become disconnected. Basically there's still a lot of friction in your some of your striking. Try to stay completely relaxed when you punch and kick. I.e. get loose, let your hands go a little more, let your legs get full extension and don't try to pull them or slow them down.

As far as specifics...your punches are way too close at times, your uppercuts especially. There's times when you're standing tall and your uppercut is literally right in front of your face. Get down lower, let your hips do the work on that punch if you're going to use a more vertical pathway. Otherwise you're going to need to extend it out a little further since the guys head isn't going to be RIGHT in front of yours when you're standing tall like that unless you're in clinch range...speaking of which, for variety you can try and add some clinch work during my shadowboxing as well. Simulate getting certain grips and throw your knees. It's great for your core. Also, where were the knees, elbows, and so forth?

On your leg checks, make sure you always come back with some counter. It doesn't have to be a same-side kick either. It can be punches, or a kick from the opposite leg as well. But get used to giving your opponent something back for trying to hit you.

Your kicks need some polishing too. You're seemingly trying to pull them. Relax your leg and torque your hip. Let the leg just go. Hump the air, let the kick go just past the impact point and then down, then bring it back. Try switching up the angles and kicking immediately after with the other leg. It's good practice to get your feet moving a little quicker. Don't forget about lead leg kicks, switch kicks, low kicks, and downward (neck) kicks too!

Lastly, you should have worked on talking to that chick too. Tsk Tsk.

Haha, yeah i should've.

One thing i noticed that night was that i was pulling my kicks. Probably due to two things;

1. This was the first time i tried round kicks with shoes on and the surface was one of those non-slip rubber surfaces. I had to use my dance shoes with plastic soles. I feel better kicking barefoot on mats or something.

2. I was afraid to pull something going full force without my leg being stopped by a target. I guess i should shadow box more at full force. I rely too much on a pad/bag/target to land.

I'll also have to do some squats because I have low tolerance for maintaining a lower stance.

Thanks for the detailed notes. I had to read and absorb for a couple of days to understand them. Regarding notes 2 & 3, I may have to chalk that down to karate training. We were always taught to push off the rear leg for shifting or reaching. I'll have to look at some of your vids on what the back leg should look like on the rights.

I do try to throw the left hook on people coming in or setting them up with a couple of weak 1-2's then pop them when they react.

Check out my thread. I just updated it with a video. I still have the problem, but I do think it's improved when compared to the first vid in the thread. Watch the first one and see how I tend to leave my rear foot behind, and then watch the new one, and see how I attempt to step my rear foot forward as I throw the right hand. It helps with weight transfer, and with the bucket-foot problem.

In that thread you'll also see a video of Arni Isaksson. He does it very well. Watch the way he steps with his punches.

Check out my thread. I just updated it with a video. I still have the problem, but I do think it's improved when compared to the first vid in the thread. Watch the first one and see how I tend to leave my rear foot behind, and then watch the new one, and see how I attempt to step my rear foot forward as I throw the right hand. It helps with weight transfer, and with the bucket-foot problem.

In that thread you'll also see a video of Arni Isaksson. He does it very well. Watch the way he steps with his punches.

Thanks, i think i understand better. I also watched the Isaksson video and two things spring out.

1. the width of his stance is about shoulder width
2. on the rights, his right leg moves with him until it ends up pretty much underneath him at the roughly the same time the punch lands.

It's been a couple of years but I wanted to check out a couple of things with my hands. New recent vids as follows. Please flame away.

Checking punching form and shoulders. The bag setup is not ideal as it is in the corner of a room is hung from a stand. Loud clinking alert!

Footwork while punching only;

Here is a short video of hands only sparring (I wouldn't call it boxing as we're kickboxers). Note this is not my video, just one of me. I'm the shorter guy.

Last edited:
Back