Shadow of War - Officially Removes Microtransactions

It's 20 bucks on Green Man right now, I was seriously considering it, I need some single-player goodness in my life, and enjoyed the first one for a good while.

if you grab it ill follow behind

You wanna bet your account that I’ve never played the game? The defense mode is used to see the true ending and get 100%. It’s BS and used strictly to entice you to purchase loot boxes. That’s a fact. Now technically you don’t have to buy loot boxes and grind your ass off. But I’m sick of games arbitrarily inflating the length of gameplay/difficulty of gameplay for micros. Especially in a fucking single player title. And LOL@AC stealing from this. All Warner Bros published titles are complete rip off of Ubisoft open world design games, right down to the climb the tower to reveal the region mechanic. If anything, AC origins borrows heavily from Witcher and the devs freely admit that. But I guess I’ve never played Orgins too right?

It's not the "true ending". It's something called an epilogue.

Had a coupon on Gamefly that was getting ready to expire so picked this up for like $14. No DLC, but hard to argue with that price after they removed all of the micro transactions.

Star Wars Battlegrounds and Shadow of War really showed how low they can stoop though.

They shouldn't even be compared. SoW is fine with its micros. They don't affect the game. I suppose unless somebody really wanted to drop a bunch of $$$ it might give you slightly faster progress through the campaign. But since it's single player I couldn't care less. If they had a big "I Win" button for sale for 50 bucks that lets you beat the game instantly I couldn't give less of a shit so long as it doesn't affect the game I'm playing. Other people can do whatever they want.

They shouldn't even be compared. SoW is fine with its micros. They don't affect the game. I suppose unless somebody really wanted to drop a bunch of $$$ it might give you slightly faster progress through the campaign. But since it's single player I couldn't care less. If they had a big "I Win" button for sale for 50 bucks that lets you beat the game instantly I couldn't give less of a shit so long as it doesn't affect the game I'm playing. Other people can do whatever they want.

This is true.

However, I don't want to support the business practice of microtransactions/lootboxes in single player campaigns.

Yeah, they wouldn't/didn't have much of an effect in SoW, but that could have been due to the fan outcry, and WB/Monolith made a late change in development to minimize their effect.

But other developers could have interpreted the microtransactions/lootboxes in SoW as accepted by the fanbase, and implimented them into other franchises across the industry, in the same way they have now infested online multiplayer.

What does this mean? Literally nothing came out in 2014. Destiny was disappointing. Watch Dogs was disappointing. WB puts out mediocre shitty games. Mad Max? The last two Batman’s. Outside the nemesis system this was boring also. I mean unless super repetitive dull games is your thing
Fuck you man, Mad Max was awesome!! :D I really liked that Batman trilogy too.

I agree that Shadow of Mordor wasn't that great. I loved the nemesis system though and enjoyed the combat, but it just felt like a game with some great ideas that was incomplete. It reminded me of Borderlands 1, which needed a sequel for its new/cool ideas to be fleshed out. I was pumped for Shadow of War, but once I heard about the microtransactions and shady late game leveling/filler, I was really disappointed.

I might give this a go when it's super cheap.

Wow great news, im actually waiting for the goty edition to purchase this, bought the 1st game for like $20 only.

I finally beat the shadow wars(I guess the patch toned down the difficulty with the removal of the DLC) The ending is so flat and incomplete. I’m sure you find out more about key characters in the story DLC

I finally beat the shadow wars(I guess the patch toned down the difficulty with the removal of the DLC) The ending is so flat and incomplete. I’m sure you find out more about key characters in the story DLC

The biggest complaint about both games is the story is shit.

Its best to just ignore it.

The aesthetic of the LOTR universe is a big plus, but they could have easily developed as a new IP in a separate fantasy universe and it would have been so much better.

Gamestop has the game for $20 and comes with a free pass for the DLC

...but they could have easily developed as a new IP in a separate fantasy universe and it would have been so much better.

Probably because it would have gotten 1/10th the sales if lucky without the LOTR branding

Probably because it would have gotten 1/10th the sales if lucky without the LOTR branding

Not neccessarily.

That's like saying if Halo was set in the DOOM universe it would have sold even more.

Not neccessarily.

That's like saying if Halo was set in the DOOM universe it would have sold even more.

Halo was, for better or worse, revolutionary as a console fps. That's why it sold so well.

Shadow of Mordor did not have that kind of hype. It doesn't revolutionize it's genre at all. It's a very derivative game thus the LOTR greatly added to it's value. Take away that branding and not nearly as many people would be interested. Next to Star Wars I can't think of a more lucrative IP than LOTR that gives you such a huge built in audience. The game had like you said minimal story so it relies on this branding heavily.

Halo was, for better or worse, revolutionary as a console fps. That's why it sold so well.

Speaking the obvious doesn't dodge my point.

And it was a revolutionary FPS, not just for console, that PC players were salty that they didn't get to play for a while.

Shadow of Mordor did not have that kind of hype. It doesn't revolutionize it's genre at all. It's a very derivative game thus the LOTR greatly added to it's value. Take away that branding and not nearly as many people would be interested. Next to Star Wars I can't think of a more lucrative IP than LOTR that gives you such a huge built in audience. The game had like you said minimal story so it relies on this branding heavily.

Not exactly.

LOTR games haven't done very well in recent years, or ever, since the movie-tie-ins back in the early 2000s.

What made SoM so unique, and was its main selling point, was the Nemesis system. Its the most revolutionary original revolutionary game mechanic since Mass Effect 2's loyalty mission and suicide mission finale.

Without the Nemesis system you would be correct, SoM would have been a decent Batman/Assassin'sCreed rip-off with a well-known movie license, and a smaller and less dense open world.

The biggest complaint about both games is the story is shit.

Its best to just ignore it.

The aesthetic of the LOTR universe is a big plus, but they could have easily developed as a new IP in a separate fantasy universe and it would have been so much better.
How's the game play in this I really liked the first one and found my self hooked even if the story is Meh.

How's the game play in this I really liked the first one and found my self hooked even if the story is Meh.

Haven't played it myself, but based on all the gameplay vids it looks just as smooth and well optimized as SoM.

Judge for yourself - Here's a stream from Monolith from yesterday.

Speaking the obvious doesn't dodge my point.

And it was a revolutionary FPS, not just for console, that PC players were salty that they didn't get to play for a while.

Not exactly.

LOTR games haven't done very well in recent years, or ever, since the movie-tie-ins back in the early 2000s.

What made SoM so unique, and was its main selling point, was the Nemesis system. Its the most revolutionary original revolutionary game mechanic since Mass Effect 2's loyalty mission and suicide mission finale.

Without the Nemesis system you would be correct, SoM would have been a decent Batman/Assassin'sCreed rip-off with a well-known movie license, and a smaller and less dense open world.

I see your points. I think we are both making good ones. The nemesis system was definitely cool and unique. We might just have to agree to disagree about the impact of the LOTR branding. Personally I think it most likely boosted their sales by a great amount while you think the impact on sales is minimal.

If you liked the first one you'll love this one. I've put in a lot of hours since I bought it and there are so many little quality of life improvements that help you move around and fight. That's not even mentioning the new additions to the Nemesis system. I've spent so much time just finding great pitfighting Uruks to battle online. It's like Orc Pokemon at this point.

You haven’t played the game, have you?

Nobody rants about the Nemesis system, nobody...

Back