Shadow of Mordor vs. Dragon Age: Inquisition

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
These two Action RPG's were the most acclaimed major titles of 2014. Dragon Age: Inquisition won the granddaddy GOTY at the DICE awards while-- though running up-- Shadow of Mordor garnered the most wins and nominations at that ceremony as well as also winning GOTY from the Game Developers Choice Awards and Giant Bomb.

Between the two which would Sherdog recommend? Please vote only if you have invested a substantial amount of time into both (you don't have to have beaten both). Feel free to add any comparative analysis in your comments. Thanks.

I have been pondering buying one or both myself, so I like this question.

Both are outstanding games - if I could only pick one it'd be Dragon Age though - since I bought this I've hardly played anything else - the replay value is outstanding.

Played both, Dragon Age for me personally.

Excellent combat, nice open areas to discover and you can take the game at your own pace. Interesting classes to play as.

Both are good though.

I tried to play Dragon Age: Origins but never got into it, so I'm wary of the new one. I would really like to play Shadow of Mordor, reviews have been pretty good.

Both great games. Haven't beat SoM yet but I feel like I've played enough to make a judgement and I'm enjoying it but Inquisition has been my favorite of the series, definitely one I don't plan on selling back.

Shadow of Mordor is pretty bad on Xbox 360 and Ps3, but great on the new gen

DA:I can be played like an Action RPG if you play on Normal or possibly Hard

definitely need to make use of the Tactical Camera if you play on Nightmare and if you're using the Tactical Camera very often, then it's no longer an Action RPG imo

Can't vote because I've only played DA:I. Shadows of Mordor looks pretty cool. Dragon Age was one of the best single player games I've played in years

DA: I

I couldn't play through Mordor's story. it was just so much better fighting the captains and side quests.

Mordor

DA:I was a perfectly fine Bioware game with another huge, sloppy game crammed into it's ass. Messy

Dragon age is much more of a classic RPG while SoM is definitely more action oriented. I say DA:I has much more depth and is more involving while SoM is much easier to get into and play through.

DA:I has a very deep story that involves solving disputes and posing as ambassadors in a Court. There are also a huge number of side quest which are all closely related to the main plot. SoM is all about beating legions of Orcs and getting your revenge for your family's demise. Once you have killed your first hundred Orcs, it gets old very fast. Sure you have to chase the warlords and find the hidden symbols but there is not much incentive to do so. You can just follow the story and get done with the game, it has very limited replayability, not to mention the repetitive combat scheme.

DA:I has much more replayability but it's limited by the time invested in it. If you're doing everything, digging deep and farming XP in your first run, you can easily break the 100 hours. Not many people will want to do that again!

In my opinion, SoM is much more easier to get into but much less rewarding than DA:I. If you play DA:I on Nightmare, it's much more difficult to play without the tactical cam. In fact, you spend hours planning your attacks, focusing on ranged foes and moving your party out of harms way. You can't do that on SoM, that makes it a much more limited game.

DA:I by a landslide!

I prefer Inquisition but Mordor has a really innovative way of incorporating the enemies in way that makes them seem like more than just fodder during the story line. The gameplay is satisfying and it has a good level of difficulty as long as you don't do the cheap upgrades(max health). I had some really awesome moments with certain captains where we fought like 7 or 8 times before I finally killed them off, and when they came back the dialogue was usually pretty cool, there aren't too many repeats from my experience if you're playing through once. While the ending is a little underwhelming they at least do a decent job of incorporating what happened before in the rivalry system.

I only played ME:SOM so I won't vote. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though. Definitely makes my top 5 for 2014.

The graphics, combat and especially the Nemesis system were great. The story, soundtrack, excessive amount of elements in the HUD (a sin many open world games are guilty of these days) and later boss fights were not. I didn't really mind the liberties they took with the lore, it's just a game after all.

Judging by some of the opinions I read on DA:I, it doesn't sound like I would enjoy it as much as I did DA:O.

These games are pretty different. I don't think I would even call Mordor an action rpg. I haven't beaten Mordor yet but it kind of feels like Assassin's Creed with better combat and more options, while having a worse world (too much large flat space for my liking). Where as Dragon age truly feels like an action rpg.

Personally I have to go with Dragon Age. It basically made me stop playing Mordor and I have hundreds in it over a few characters.

Mordor is brain numbingly easy so I would take most games over it.

DA I definitely kept my attention better. SOM seemed so repetitive. Not saying DA I isn't repetitive either, but much less than Mordor was in the ten hours or so I played shadows.

I really can't say. I played both of them quite a bit but ended up just kind of losing interest in both. I will say though that I have been thinking about firing up DA:I again recently and trying to figure out where I left off while I probably won't pick up Mordor again. I'm not a big fan of LOTR setting anyhow

I bought both of these. Hard to say which one I enjoyed more. I have about the same number of hours into both. I put about 35 on each.

For SOM that meant beating the game, and then having some random play to entertain myself by slaughtering Uruks. Though once I beat it, my interest waned pretty quickly

On DA:I I was having fun at first, but then precipitously lost interest in the game. Too much time running around, too many fetch quests, was never a big fan of how they did combat, just stopped feeling it. I know it's a good game, and part of me says "just finish the main quest" to get what I can out of it, but every time I boot it up, I lose interest quickly.

DA:I was nice but played to much like a single player MMO, liked SoM better

Back