Shadow boxing

Here's the video from today of me doing bagwork, just working on technique again. These video's take a while to upload for some reason, so I will post the shadowboxing video in about 20 mins I'm still training and I'm going to go for a run after.

And here is the shadowboxing video

I was focusing on doing things fast and with accuracy. While also adding in some movement with my head and feet. I also incorporated a defensive hook that my old instructor in NYC taught me the ducking hook as I like to call it. @shincheckin tell me how I did, and don't leave out any details on what I could do better or what is wrong with it. Everybody please give your input.

Last edited:
much better dude, when shadowboxing, throw your punches fast, fast does not mean hard, it means fast., so shadow box fast, move quickly, etc. you should be exhausted and sweating your ass off by the end of a few rounds of shadowboxing, shadowboxing is actually one of the most tiring things out there when done coreeclty

much better dude, when shadowboxing, throw your punches fast, fast does not mean hard, it means fast., so shadow box fast, move quickly, etc. you should be exhausted and sweating your ass off by the end of a few rounds of shadowboxing, shadowboxing is actually one of the most tiring things out there when done coreeclty

Alright thanks man, I was kind of trying to throw speed punches with power so I should focus on speed the next time today is my rest day.

And here is the shadowboxing video

I was focusing on doing things fast and with accuracy. While also adding in some movement with my head and feet. I also incorporated a defensive hook that my old instructor in NYC taught me the ducking hook as I like to call it. @shincheckin tell me how I did, and don't leave out any details on what I could do better or what is wrong with it. Everybody please give your input.

Very monotonous and unimaginative. Just recycling the same combos with the same mechanics.

Switch it up more. Level changes with tempo changes. You box with a partner, you know. Not by yourself. So then why would you imagine yourself alone ?

Very monotonous and unimaginative. Just recycling the same combos with the same mechanics.

Switch it up more. Level changes with tempo changes. You box with a partner, you know. Not by yourself. So then why would you imagine yourself alone ?

Noted I was kind of imagining but I think I should imagine a better opponent. I was however doing bagwork that day, I did not film this round but I was doing a hard round just acting like I'm pressuring my opponent.

So I think I should do the same with shadowboxing, just imagine an opponent in front of me that's a certain type of fighter and just shadowbox.

Noted I was kind of imagining but I think I should imagine a better opponent. I was however doing bagwork that day, I did not film this round but I was doing a hard round just acting like I'm pressuring my opponent.

So I think I should do the same with shadowboxing, just imagine an opponent in front of me that's a certain type of fighter and just shadowbox.
This going to sound very Deepak Chopra (fk him) but it's less imagining an opponent in front of you and more of you imagining yourself in the ring with an opponent.
If you know what I mean.

This going to sound very Deepak Chopra (fk him) but it's less imagining an opponent in front of you and more of you imagining yourself in the ring with an opponent.
If you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean, that's kind of obvious though, because you can only fight inside the ring, but I should try to imagine like a moderate size ring around me.

Yeah I know what you mean, that's kind of obvious though, because you can only fight inside the ring, but I should try to imagine like a moderate size ring around me.
Not what I meant but nvm.

Alright thanks man, I was kind of trying to throw speed punches with power so I should focus on speed the next time today is my rest day.

Speed, no power,1-2's, fast, quick, explosive, you can move around or whatever, but you should actually be tired and sweating doing this.

Speed, no power,1-2's, fast, quick, explosive, you can move around or whatever, but you should actually be tired and sweating doing this.

Alright thanks man, I'll work on it, I debate sometimes whether to shadowbox with weights or not, but I think I might do that today and then post 2 heavy bag videos today, because I want to see everybodies opinion on how my bagwork is when I'm visualizing the bag as an opponent, that's attacking me and what not. Right now I can't even get out of my house lol because their are moving trucks blocking my car.

Weights will make you slower and mess up the mechanics ime. I used to do it. Used to. Counter-productive idea, imo, makes you worse

If you want to speed up that way, practice with 16 oz. gloves on (which is 1 pound each) and those will train you to speed up your punches without adding too much weight

When you take the gloves off or train in lighter gloves, your hands will fly and have some nice extra power

Weights will make you slower and mess up the mechanics ime. I used to do it. Used to. Counter-productive idea, imo, makes you worse

If you want to speed up that way, practice with 16 oz. gloves on (which is 1 pound each) and those will train you to speed up your punches without adding too much weight

When you take the gloves off or train in lighter gloves, your hands will fly and have some nice extra power

Yeah that's what I hit the bag with 16 oz, ok then I guess I'll just shadowbox with just my open hands, I don't think I'm going to be able to go to the gym today but I might do a workout in the park next to where I live now and shadowbox their, I like this location better then my last location though.

@ironkhan57 you should make a vid of you shadowboxing in which your whole body is visible - Ie, including your feet. Good progress though, I see improvements in those second videos.

@ironkhan57 you should make a vid of you shadowboxing in which your whole body is visible - Ie, including your feet. Good progress though, I see improvements in those second videos.

Thanks man appreciate it, it's all muscle memory coming back to me. I need to experiment with the angles a bit because in that gym I'm afraid that if I leave my phone up against the bottom of the wall it may look not clear.

Alright thanks man, I'll work on it, I debate sometimes whether to shadowbox with weights or not, but I think I might do that today and then post 2 heavy bag videos today, because I want to see everybodies opinion on how my bagwork is when I'm visualizing the bag as an opponent, that's attacking me and what not. Right now I can't even get out of my house lol because their are moving trucks blocking my car.

you dont need weights in your hand, try going so fat and so hard for 1 round, you are completely exhausted and tired and need to rest at the end.

you dont need weights in your hand, try going so fat and so hard for 1 round, you are completely exhausted and tired and need to rest at the end.

Yeah I just did a workout at the park, luckily one of my brothers calisthenics friends was over their and he helped me out with some padwork (I actually didn't know he had a boxing and muay thai background he said he use to do mma too) and I did an amp and a quick hard shadowboxing round, and I barely have any energy right now lol and I'm walking back to my house too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back