shadow boxing with small weights

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what do you guys think of this?

tbh i think its a waste people think its gonna be like some dragonballz thing where your gonna be so much faster after but curious t see what others think

It was a part of the daily warm up at Bazooka along with skipping and regular shadow boxing. i know Joe likes it

I don't see it having much purpose, especially for the purpose most people use them for. If you want to increase punching power or speed, there are much better exercises to use.

I don't see it having much purpose, especially for the purpose most people use them for. If you want to increase punching power or speed, there are much better exercises to use.

you mean strrength conditiong or boxing drills

In our gym we use it as a finisher in a circuit - it is basically 2x30 seconds in a round 4 mins and that is straights only. So at most we do it for 3 mins total. But spending entire rounds with it, I think it is a waste of time. If you want to bang, bang the heavy bag with full power to condition yourself.

Actually works quite well for learning to keep the elbows in place.

Just use 16 oz. gloves when you train. That's one pound on each hand, all you need

I like to use 1 lb dumbbells during shadow. Maybe 1.5 lbs max. Higher weights would be good for burnouts or similar conditioning drills but even 2 lb db's would be equivalent to 32 oz boxing gloves and maybe a bit excessive for regular shadow work.

I would guess using heavier dumbbells in shadow might throw off ur form if used too often. Especially, if ur not hitting pads, the heavy bag, or sparring that often.

That's really the only acceptable use I've come across. Using it as some sort of equivalent to a weighted vest doesn't even make sense. You don't punch people with the top of your fist after you've fully extended it. Endurance should not be a problem because you wear gloves for an entire workout anyway.

I use 2.5kg weighted gloves when I run. I continuously punch, parry and block as I run. It drills the shoulders whilst I work my legs and cardio.

to me, minor things like this are what you do once your regular routine has become easy. So lets say you shadow box for 10 minutes everyday, eventually the body adapts and we must intensify the workout. If you just keep adding time to your workouts, youll end up at the gym for 4 hours. So instead of now shadowboxing for 20 minutes everyday instead of 10, you need to find a way to maximize that 10 minutes.

A example i have done myself for this is instead of resting in between rounds, doing burpees etc instead.

Back