Sexual Harassment- It's nearly time for clemency (opinion)

Just don't pull out your dick without being asked in places associated with your work.

How has this become controversial

I guess I am old fashioned, but I always thought it was a good idea to wait until I was in a stable and committed relationship before getting physical with a woman. Here is a crazy idea: show some restraint for at least a month, keep your hands to yourself, keep it in your pants and get to know the person a little before engaging in sexual activity. It will likely save a lot of trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Racism - time for clemency? Was just the “system”.

Oh wait....

The problem I have with this sexual harassment trend is the fact that society considers this people guilty as soon as the accusation is made. I think people today are perfectly fine with destroying a person if it puts them center stage for a few minutes.

The problem I have with this sexual harassment trend is the fact that society considers this people guilty as soon as the accusation is made. I think people today are perfectly fine with destroying a person if it puts them center stage for a few minutes.
Not only the fact that the press/people give them an instant guilty but...

The fact some of the accused are just rolling over so easily, if I had an accusation of that weight thrown at me,one with as much negative ramifications that something like sexual harassment carry..I’d sue every fucker I could for defamation/damages/distress..I’d make it a point to show that accusations of that seriousness shouldn’t be acceptable without evidence.

The attention/money whores would filter out if people fought back imo.

Also, these victims have pretty much fucked the real victims ..they’ve trivialized actual /legitimate claims.

The fact that someone’s word ,from 20/30 years ago can destroy your career is sad/scary...the progressive agenda will not be happy until we truly have lost every right a democracy offers.

It's a good point, or thought process.

But for any sexual harassment in the workplace, that person shouldn't work there anymore.

There can be societal clemency, but not workplace. For the betterment of everyone we have to firm on that.
@HIMBOB too, since he seems to have a similar opinion-

Would it be inappropriate to offer men & women the opportunity to come forward on the condition that minor (non-assault stuff, wherever that line is drawn) harassment would be aired, admitted, discussed, corrected and forgiven? Is that unrealistic?

I don't really see that happening, I see a fear of that happening. It seems like the more credible and serious accusations are the ones getting the press. Maybe Franken and Rose are getting too much heat, but they are also powerful figures.

@HIMBOB too, since he seems to have a similar opinion-

Would it be inappropriate to offer men & women the opportunity to come forward on the condition that minor (non-assault stuff, wherever that line is drawn) harassment would be aired, admitted, discussed, corrected and forgiven? Is that unrealistic?

That's they type of major change in the workplace that could only be implemented through a major law, the federal gov and court system would have to be very involved and so on.

I don't think many people want that at all in the USA.

QoqOby7.gif

the gif that keeps on giffing

Racism - time for clemency? Was just the “system”.

Oh wait....
Byrd is a good example of this. He had to commit to change though. We forgave Reagan for opposing Civil Rights too, despite him not really doing anything to make up for it. Maybe you're not feeling which way the wind blows, but admitting prior racism and committing to corrective action is viewed as virtuous. Even guys like Moore get second chances there. People are praised for shedding racism.

That's they type of major change in the workplace that could only be implemented through a major law, the federal gov and court system would have to be very involved and so on.

I don't think many people want that at all in the USA.
Yeah I'm definitely not calling for an institution of the idea (our laws seem adequate already), just think it's something that people might consider as a middle way between cynicism and capitulation.

Yeah I'm definitely not calling for an institution of the idea (our laws seem adequate already), just think it's something that people might consider as a middle way between cynicism and capitulation.

I re-read your post again and I imagine in some cases what you suggest already happens or is happening.

Al Franken Is still a senator after all.

I don't see where there will be leniency for these sexual predators. Deep down most people are not as enthusiastic about Free Love as Hollywood and the mainstream media like to impose on the masses. If the research is to be believed, younger people are less promiscuous than their parents and are more willing to commit to a relationship which likely means the days of groping and masturbating in front of women is not going to be as acceptable as it once was.

The best way for men to defend themselves against sexual assault claims is to show some restraint and get involved in a committed and stable relationship before getting involved in sexual activity. You are playing with fire if you want to engage in drunken one night stands or masturbate in front of women you do not know.

Free Love is a world i can't linger too long in
"Free Love" was just another party for the hippies to ruin...
Free Love is a knife through the jugular vein son

-LIVE from the song Unsheathed

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t see this retroactive morality ending well

Byrd is a good example of this. He had to commit to change though. We forgave Reagan for opposing Civil Rights too, despite him not really doing anything to make up for it. Maybe you're not feeling which way the wind blows, but admitting prior racism and committing to corrective action is viewed as virtuous. Even guys like Moore get second chances there. People are praised for shedding racism.

Reagan was a racist now? Good lord...

No article here, but if you have one that touches on this idea I'd like to read it.

It's wisest and most moral to start off by recognizing that the recent claims of these women are, by and large, true. Too many men have taken advantage of a tilted system for a very long time, and the remnants of acceptable sexual harassment and work discrimination (even in nontraditional environments like Hollywood) need to be snuffed out. The women who were abused and who felt they couldn't speak up at the time should be heard, and their claims should be evaluated fairly. The mass outing of sexual predators and misconduct is proper and good for the future.

However, granting the claim that this is a systemic problem is also an admission that the responsibility is spread throughout the system. In this case, the system is the entire American work environment. When problems are systemic, individual punishment and responsibility must be adjusted accordingly. Those most in control of their environments and affecting the most people, and who do the most harm, are the people who should be judged the most harshly. This includes the Harvey Weinsteins and the Roy Moores. The "ringleaders" who set the example from their positions of authority and influence.

But as we move down to the Charlie Roses (unless more has come out since I last checked) and the Louis CKs, we encounter less serious offenses, but they should still be aired- the women deserve to be heard. There should be some consequences. But they also deserve a chance to straighten up.

We need a period of clemency. In exchange for the fair hearing of the complaints, and the recognition that the system is undergoing necessary change, men should from this point backwards be judged a little less harshly for their indiscretions. And from this point forward, judged by the stricter standards that have all but become the norm in the workplace. There is something genuinely unsettling about holding full court on every bad act from 1985, or even 2005. It's not a witch hunt, but it's also not quite striking the chord of justice that it should.

There isn't any way to institute this idea, but it should still be argued for. That means that men shouldn't be calling this a witch hunt, or reacting in some other cynical way, and it means accepting the terms of today in good faith going forward. It also means that women shouldn't expect their harassers (in most instances) from five, ten, or thirty years ago to lose their jobs.

If the problem is in the system, the responsibility exists throughout. Can't have it both ways. If you want to maximize individual accountability, you must lower the blame against the system. If you want systemic change, you must lower individual accountability. Forgive, and forget if it's appropriate, but you have to forgive.

So- If your mother or sister was raped 10 years ago, do you think the people that did it should be judged less harshly that if they raped them today?

Sadly, there is nothing you need to do for your desired outcome to manifest Fawlty. It is going to happen on its own. In fact it is already happening. Accountability for past acts is already being minimized.

The belated consequences all these perpetrators are suffering are already orders of magnitude less than they would have been if they were doled out in real time. Bill Cosby will likely never serve a day in jail for drug raping dozens of women. Harvey will never serve a day in jail. Neither will Moore.

We would likely never have even heard of the Charlie Roses and Louis CK's of the world if they had been busted in real time. Because they would have never have become rich and famous. Or at the very least they would have been much less rich and famous than they are now. The life's and lifestyles of these people are immeasurably better off than they would have been had they got busted earlier. No matter what happens.

We agree though that the key to having maximum accountability, and fairness is always going to be addressing things when they happen, not years later.

But no clemency is needed for past acts, either for these people or the ones that follow. They have already enjoyed clemency for their actions by having consequence free lives up to this point, and will continue to enjoy virtual clemency even after they are outed unless by some miracle they are prosecuted.

So No-Fuck No, we do not need to brainstorm ways to help letches that have avoided justice up to this point find ways to continue avoiding it.

You should also be careful the way you throw around the term 'systemic problem'. Because the vast, vast majority of men operate within our current system and climate without ever harassing or sexually assaulting women.

Last edited:
Back