Setting Up The Offense Without the Jab

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The jab has been deemed by many as the most important punch in boxing. Are there any techniques besides the jab that can be used to start the offense? I would figure the right hand but for many it is too slow to be recommended as a lead. The only person I can think of at the moment who uses it effectively as a lead is Floyd. His right hand lead is ridiculous.

Are there any set ups for the offense you can think of besides the jab, and are there any fighters you can think of who utilize these set ups regularly?

Roy Jones and James Toney

Having mention those two, its very common for fast handed fighters to lead without a jab, Ward, who wasnt gifted with fast hands would once in a while would lead without a jab

Roy Jones and James Toney

Having mention those two, its very common for fast handed fighters to lead without a jab, Ward, who wasnt gifted with fast hands would once in a while would lead without a jab

I'll have to watch their old tapes. Can you recall their combinations? Knowing Roy it was probably 3-3-3 lol.

Roy did whatever he wanted

Toney would use feints but mostly counter the hell out of everyone

Cant recall the combos

Naseem Hamed would lead with all sorts of leaping shots like a corkscrew uppercut, he often didn't lead with the jab preferring to hit his opponent with power punches.

Last edited:
The jab has been deemed by many as the most important punch in boxing.
It is given that fights in general and each individual round, by which fights are scored, always start from the outside. It's not a coincidence that there are literally a dozen variations of the jab to serve different purposes regardless of your style, making it the most diverse and versatile punch in the toolbox. It's your longest punch, most accurate, and fastest punch when you're in your stance. It's the most suitable punch to use for finding your range, keeping your opponent occupied (while you're dictating as the busier man), managing distance, creating openings, etc. It requires the least amount of commitment which means that it's generally the safest punch to throw. Saying that, it happens to be the punch most countered largely because it's thrown most frequently (exponentially more), disproportionately to the rest. Though, when it is countered, it's often down to being thrown either lazily or predictably.

Are there any techniques besides the jab that can be used to start the offense? I would figure the right hand but for many it is too slow to be recommended as a lead. The only person I can think of at the moment who uses it effectively as a lead is Floyd. His right hand lead is ridiculous.

Are there any set ups for the offense you can think of besides the jab, and are there any fighters you can think of who utilize these set ups regularly?
Besides the jab, you can utilize a number of feints to set up leads; the jab feint specifically, a foot or shoulder feint (either shoulder), and so on. You can also utilize fakes. Fakes involve less commitment than a feint would but don't "sell" as well. Quick level changes work too (they can also serve as feints), as can dips (get your head off the line before firing your lead), and footwork to advantageously position yourself to more safely throw leads that aren't set up by the jab or by feints/fakes. With the latter you'd optimally want a clean angle on your opponent to minimize or even eliminate any exposure by reducing your attack surface prior to shooting your leads.

If you wanted to cheat a bit on the speed of your rear hand leads then you can stay in your stance but square your upper body up to throw them faster (power will be sacrificed here for speed). You can also play with the weight distribution by staying heavy on the front foot to increase their speed (your weight is pre-loaded to compensate for the extra time it would normally take to transfer it forward).

It is given that fights in general and each individual round, by which fights are scored, always start from the outside. It's not a coincidence that there are literally a dozen variations of the jab to serve different purposes regardless of your style, making it the most diverse and versatile punch in the toolbox. It's your longest punch, most accurate, and fastest punch when you're in your stance. It's the most suitable punch to use for finding your range, keeping your opponent occupied (while you're dictating as the busier man), managing distance, creating openings, etc. It requires the least amount of commitment which means that it's generally the safest punch to throw. Saying that, it happens to be the punch most countered largely because it's thrown most frequently (exponentially more), disproportionately to the rest. Though, when it is countered, it's often down to being thrown either lazily or predictably.

Besides the jab, you can utilize a number of feints to set up leads; the jab feint specifically, a foot or shoulder feint (either shoulder), and so on. You can also utilize fakes. Fakes involve less commitment than a feint would but don't "sell" as well. Quick level changes work too (they can also serve as feints), as can dips (get your head off the line before firing your lead), and footwork to advantageously position yourself to more safely throw leads that aren't set up by the jab or by feints/fakes. With the latter you'd optimally want a clean angle on your opponent to minimize or even eliminate any exposure by reducing your attack surface prior to shooting your leads.

If you wanted to cheat a bit on the speed of your rear hand leads then you can stay in your stance but square your upper body up to throw them faster (power will be sacrificed here for speed). You can also play with the weight distribution by staying heavy on the front foot to increase their speed (your weight is pre-loaded to compensate for the extra time it would normally take to transfer it forward).

Very very informative. I love level changes, and as far as footwork I love the walk off to the right hand. It almost looks like a sucker punch of sorts lol but if timed correctly stepping off that center line to immediately power lunge the right hand at a semi unexpecting target is a thing of beauty.

You'll obviously have to clinch or duck out otherwise your feet probably won't be stable underneath you as a base and you'll get countered perhaps even dropped from balance issues.

Thanks for that post, quality information.

If you are interested Jack Slack did a good article on Prince Naseem on how he would land his leaping corkscrew uppercut by first getting his opponents wary of his check hook. After landing the check hook several times his opponents would keep their lead hand in a high guard position. This cleared the path for the corkscrew uppercut to come up the middle and underneath their high guard. And because their guard was high it blinded them to this shot so it would come through unseen and cause tremendous damage. And because Nas would lean his head offline to the outside of his opponent after his feet landed back beneath his head he'd be in a perfect outside position to throw a follow-up shot from a superior angle with the left hand from their blindside.

Anyway here's the article if you want a good read. It's not that long either.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/17/3886038/the-tricks-of-prince-naseem-hamed

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The shell style that guys like amir imam,floyd,broner,o'Hara davies,lipinets etc use can create opportunities to lead with the overhand right,straight right down the pipe,right uppercut & left hook.

Lead left hooks can pay dividends. Usually athletic guys are ones to add this to their arsenal like Roy Jones. Mayweather killed Corrales with lead left hooks & Sergio Martinez landed it a lot on Paul William's in their 1st fight. I actually think Floyd & Sergio set it up with a jab to the body quite a bit though or maybe the straight right to the body. Ward throws lead left hooks too.

Guys like Zab,Berto & Bute would also land uppercuts without setting them up with a jab, usually as a counter though I believe.

Also you can land a variety of shots on the inside by controlling your opponent with your lead elbow/forearm & hitting him with your free hand. It's a little dirty but Floyd did it his whole career. Devin Haney did it to Burgos & Kid Galahad does it also. Dillian Whyte as well.

Last edited:
If you use your lead hand to check the opponents lead hand, then you should be able to throw the rear hand right over it. That is one way.

Like you slap down the jabbing hand of the guy you punching, and bring the straight. Your straight, and opponent straight should be relatively equi-distant. If opponent lead hand neutralized, you dont worry about getting hit with before your rear hand meets target.

The way PBF does it, is is rear shoulder is actually already out front. He is already leaning in for the lead straight. So his punch travels less distance. That makes up for lack of speed, and negates the reach of the opponent jab.

If you use your lead hand to check the opponents lead hand, then you should be able to throw the rear hand right over it. That is one way.

Like you slap down the jabbing hand of the guy you punching, and bring the straight. Your straight, and opponent straight should be relatively equi-distant. If opponent lead hand neutralized, you dont worry about getting hit with before your rear hand meets target.

The way PBF does it, is is rear shoulder is actually already out front. He is already leaning in for the lead straight. So his punch travels less distance. That makes up for lack of speed, and negates the reach of the opponent jab.

Slap then come over the top with the straight. Classic. Well played.

Or depending on how opponent is standing, if you cannot check lead hand because of guard position, then throw lead straight right down the pipe along a path that puts your read hand and arm in between opponent lead hand, and your own head. Tuck you chin in. Now your own lead hand should be up in case opponent fires his own rear as you come in.

Also, if opponents steps off to the side, he may counter, so you want to duck, and do a little peek a boo once or twice, and circle away to avoid a nasty KO.

Or depending on how opponent is standing, if you cannot check lead hand because of guard position, then throw lead straight right down the pipe along a path that puts your read hand and arm in between opponent lead hand, and your own head. Tuck you chin in. Now your own lead hand should be up in case opponent fires his own rear as you come in.

Also, if opponents steps off to the side, he may counter, so you want to duck, and do a little peek a boo once or twice, and circle away to avoid a nasty KO.

Would you follow up the cross with a hook, or would you duck, and roll out?

Would you follow up the cross with a hook, or would you duck, and roll out?

If opponent slips to the outside of my lead straight, then I have no other option but to peek a boo, and circle away. I am in very bad spot if I miss or dont KO him.

If opponent slips to the outside of my lead straight, then I have no other option but to peek a boo, and circle away. I am in very bad spot if I miss or dont KO him.

Or hit him with that Danny Garcia no look left hook. lol Yeah circle away is probably the safer of the two options. Well played. I like that thought process.

Back