Seth MacFarlane's THE ORVILLE (Season 3 Coming to Hulu)

There's one thing I dont like about Seth, he tries to make everything political. Just tell jokes bud, nobody cares about your views. (imo)

How can any comedian not make jokes about politics, especially today? The jokes write themselves. Trump is a comedian's wet dream.

FOX would only cancel it, if it didn't bring in the viewers. Family Guy, American Dad...not exactly shows that shy away from controversy, and taking shots at conservatism. Just because it's the home of FOX News, doesn't mean they give a fuck when it comes to their shows leaning a certain way, and their track record speaks for itself.

I could see it being cancelled though, simply because it was billed as signature Seth Macfalane comedy seires, and viewers expecting that, might be put off and stop watching. It's a pretty big bait and switch, and I don't know if the target audience is going to stick with it.

Fox has a strange record of canceling shows that got higher ratings in the same season than ones they kept.

Fox has a strange record of canceling shows that got higher ratings in the same season than ones they kept.
Fox has a weird record of what they keep and what they cancel, but in general there's a few reasons that can happen.

First off is production costs: different shows can vary widely in how much they cost to put together. A multi-camera sitcom that reuses the same sets over-and-over and doesn't need costumes beyond regular clothing is going to cost a lot less than something like a sci-fi show with all its props/costumes/special-effects.

Another factor is how long the show has been on the air: this has a lot to do with syndication or streaming. Basically, a show needs a minimum number of episodes for it to be an attractive pickup for other networks/services. So something that is in its third season is almost guaranteed to be renewed because a fourth season will make it a syndication candidate. So even if the ratings aren't great at that point the profits of syndication will generally more than make up for any reduced advertising income. Long running can also sometimes work against a show because the actor salaries will be increasing and may end up taking up too much of a show's budget.

Reminds me of King of the Hill.

I liked episode 4.. I hope I live in a space ship... "do you have a napkin" "its good"

This is the closest thing to actually watching Star Trek I've seen since The Next Generation ended. It's even more authentic than the new Star Trek movies (which are great, but certainly have deviated a bit from the spiritual center of Star Trek...which is dialogue). So, yeah, I'd rank it third among all Star Trek franchises...even though it technically isn't Star Trek-- after four episodes.

I freaking love it.

Finally watched the first episode and loved it
Was exactly what I hoped it would be
Looking forward to catching up on the rest of the season so far

This is the closest thing to actually watching Star Trek I've seen since The Next Generation ended. It's even more authentic than the new Star Trek movies (which are great, but certainly have deviated a bit from the spiritual center of Star Trek...which is dialogue). So, yeah, I'd rank it third among all Star Trek franchises...even though it technically isn't Star Trek-- after four episodes.

I freaking love it.

Samesies.

Yeah its a great show. They have managed to get the balance between comedy and drama/sci-fi exactly right.
I like the new Stark Trek as well.

There's one thing I dont like about Seth, he tries to make everything political. Just tell jokes bud, nobody cares about your views. (imo)

Have you ever even watched TOS?

Rodenberry’s liberal beliefs have been an integral part of the franchise this show is emulating from the very beginning.

Every show in the Star Trek franchise has done political episodes.

Seth MacFarlane is a painfully unfunny live-action actor.

Let me guess the premise of this series. Seth stands there with that stupid smirk on his face and makes politically incorrect "jokes" while doing them in different voices?

Let me guess the premise of this series. Seth stands there with that stupid smirk on his face and makes politically incorrect "jokes" while doing them in different voices?

Not even close.

Thought this was going to be way more parody. Some of the characters growing on me which I didn't expect.

Man did this show start getting really terrible really fast
Loved the first episode, the second episode started good but the ending was retarded and the third episode just fucking sucked
The first episode led me to believe it was gonna be a comedy but there hasnt been a funny moment since
Much disappointed

Man that last episode was pure classic sci-fi, almost like it was ripped out of the pages of a Heinlein short story. I really liked that. So far Seth is out-Trekking actual Trek.
He's out-trekking the shit out of Discovery.

This is one of my favourite new shows. Like I will actually watch it live instead of stream it later.

They got it right for this episode: awesome guest star, lots of sexual/romantic tension and a classic TNG theme. Also, hardcore technical joke from Isaac.

I can't get enough of The Orville!

Back