Seth MacFarlane's THE ORVILLE (Season 3 Coming to Hulu)

I'm 50/50 on giving this a shot. I've never been a fan of the Star Trek series, though my whole family is, so I'm aware of the themes and characters. I like Macfarlane's sense of humor, though it can jump the shark (Cleveland show and American dad, sorry) quite often. His movies are decent, and Ted is great, so I just don't know. One day it'll be on and I won't turn it off.

American dad is his best show

Comparing it to Cleveland show makes me hate you

I've never liked anything McFarlane has done, even back to Johnny Bravo.

With the exception of A Million Ways To Die In The West -- I really liked that, even though it's pretty universally hated, even by actual fans of his. I am going to give The Orville a shot.

Update: September 16, 2017

THE ORVILLE is Fox's Most Watched Premiere Since Empire

2NL5YCV.jpg

The Orville debuted to big ratings on Sunday, and those numbers have grown significantly in the days since.

The Orville’s ratings in the key age 19-49 demographic grew 30 percent in Live+3 ratings, from 2.8 in Live+Same Day to 3.5.

That brings total viewership of the show’s premiere episode in Live+3 up to 11.3 million from 8.6 million Live+Same Day.

The Orville’s Live+Same Day premiere numbers tied those of ABC’s hit This Is Us and Fox comedy The Mick, which were the two highest-rated debuts of last season (not counting 24: Legacy, which had the Super Bowl as a lead-in). In Live+3, The Orville remains on par with The Mick, which also followed NFL Football, at 3.5, but has fallen behind This Is Us, which scored a 4.2.

These numbers make The Orville Fox’s biggest hour-long debut since Empire, which earned a 5.3 in the 18-49 demo when it premiered in 2015.

In the core men’s demographic, which creator and star Seth MacFarlane’s work has traditionally scored high with, The Orville scored a 2.8, which is also the highest since Empire’s 3.1 in 2015.

The Orville is also Fox’s most streamed debut in three years. The show’s premiere has been viewed 650,000 times on Fox Now and Hulu. That’s the most streams since Gotham debuted in 2014 with 865,000 streams.

The Orville is an unabashed love letter to classic Star Trek television, of which MacFarlane is openly a fan. The first episode alone had plenty of Star Trek Easter eggs and homages for fans to enjoy and future episodes will include cameo appearances by Star Trek actors.

'The Orville' Is Fox's Biggest Premiere In Years

Update: September 16, 2017

THE ORVILLE is Fox's Most Watched Premiere Since Empire

2NL5YCV.jpg

The Orville debuted to big ratings on Sunday, and those numbers have grown significantly in the days since.

The Orville’s ratings in the key age 19-49 demographic grew 30 percent in Live+3 ratings, from 2.8 in Live+Same Day to 3.5.

That brings total viewership of the show’s premiere episode in Live+3 up to 11.3 million from 8.6 million Live+Same Day.

The Orville’s Live+Same Day premiere numbers tied those of ABC’s hit This Is Us and Fox comedy The Mick, which were the two highest-rated debuts of last season (not counting 24: Legacy, which had the Super Bowl as a lead-in). In Live+3, The Orville remains on par with The Mick, which also followed NFL Football, at 3.5, but has fallen behind This Is Us, which scored a 4.2.

These numbers make The Orville Fox’s biggest hour-long debut since Empire, which earned a 5.3 in the 18-49 demo when it premiered in 2015.

In the core men’s demographic, which creator and star Seth MacFarlane’s work has traditionally scored high with, The Orville scored a 2.8, which is also the highest since Empire’s 3.1 in 2015.

The Orville is also Fox’s most streamed debut in three years. The show’s premiere has been viewed 650,000 times on Fox Now and Hulu. That’s the most streams since Gotham debuted in 2014 with 865,000 streams.

The Orville is an unabashed love letter to classic Star Trek television, of which MacFarlane is openly a fan. The first episode alone had plenty of Star Trek Easter eggs and homages for fans to enjoy and future episodes will include cameo appearances by Star Trek actors.

'The Orville' Is Fox's Biggest Premiere In Years

Critics just got BTFO

Ohhh I saw the trailer while ago and thought it was a movie - glad it's a TV series

I like star Treks and I like comedy so this seems like a n brainer for me to watch

I think all Start Trek geeks were smiling like this when the ship first engaged.
DAtYfdyXoAA3bcs.jpg

I just watched it again with a friend who hadn't seen it yet. I was really impressed by the quality of everything, especially the aliens.

krill.jpg

bortus.jpg

The CGI is top notch

source.gif

giphy.gif

And I really loved the musical score

This show all the potential to be something special. You can tell there's a lot of love and attention to detail put in. I can't wait to see how the characters grow and the writing evolves. The worst part of the show are the jokes, but they're not the focus and that makes me a happy sci fi nerd!

Fuckin' footbal, I'm glad I remembered to update my DVR to record an extra two hours.

I thought the second episode was better than the first. Its fun having a fun sci fi show again.

I watched the first episode and liked it...but i'm not the type of guy that expects every show to be an instant classic.

It's still surprising to me how earnest the show is. They're really making a Star Trek TNG series but without the restrictions or dealing with the brand owners. CBS and Viacom must be secretly pissed at this.

Anyway 2nd episode was decent. It had less comedy than the first episode. Still waiting for Isaac to say something offensive.

I was thinking of Star Trek: Discovery while driving a while ago and thought about its LGBT main characters. But homosexuality is not that shocking anymore and is normal in the Star Trek universe.

So I thought of what if a character is trans-species. That would be something new, bold and create some drama and tension in the story. I think The Orville should snatch up this opportunity and be the first to do it before Star Trek does.

I was thinking of Star Trek: Discovery while driving a while ago and thought about its LGBT main characters. But homosexuality is not that shocking anymore and is normal in the Star Trek universe.

So I thought of what if a character is trans-species. That would be something new, bold and create some drama and tension in the story. I think The Orville should snatch up this opportunity and be the first to do it before Star Trek does.

Orville could do it but it would be done in a comedic way

Not sure if SJW could handle that

Technically TNG did do that years ago with the episode the outcast, where Riker tried to bang this looker
outcast1.jpg

Seemed like the Orville was going that direction with Bortus(well a one sex species) but who knows now..

or-s1_07-peter-hallway_1110_R1_hires1.jpg

Also just to note, what terrific make up designs they are using on the show. I'm loving the mix of practical effects, models, and CGI

I'm friends on Facebook with a CGI artist on the show, and he said that Fox will be moving the show to Thursday nights due to NFL(which can bring big ratings but also angers fans with screwing up DVR recording), and to go back to back with Gotham, to try and make a solid 2 hour force on Thursday which has little sci fi/action shows.

i dont care for star trek and i dont care for seth mcfarlane.

im guessing this will be terrible or just not for me.

I am loving it! It is like Star trek but with way more humor that does not take it self as seriously. It has a great mix of comedy, and tension/drama. As a trekki I am so happy this is on.

Back