Seth MacFarlane's Space Comedy Series THE ORVILLE (Premieres Sept. 10) | Page 9

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 15, 2017.

1. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    I love this show but I hate to predict that this show will be McFarlanes 'Firefly'.

2. Metal_Daze Geonor St Gregor

Metal_Daze
    Dire observation, but MacFarlane is used to failure. Just think of the backlash when he got the Oscar gig. Also, he had lots of cancelled show already.

Wait, did you mean Firefly as in "awesome show that no one knows about" or as "cancelled after one season, but became a cult classic afterwards"?

3. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    I'm thinking both.

4. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    Any word on if it's maintaining a decent sized audience?

I feel the same. This has "short lived series, with cult following" written all over it.

5. JSN #NotMyNelly

JSN
    Does this show drink diarrhea like the rest of Seth MacFarlane's shows?

6. 2DUM2TAP Red Belt

2DUM2TAP
    On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    Good mix again last night. Great sci-fi with the dark matter storm and time travel along with the humour of Isaac wearing the Mr. Potato Head parts and then cutting off the guys leg.

7. Metal_Daze Geonor St Gregor

Metal_Daze
    It's hard to say, since it's already moved from post-football lead-in Sundays to small lead-in Thursdays. I found some comparison with Star Trek discovery here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/or...gs-watch-week-ending-september-24-1201882187/

Of the two shows, it's ironic that it's The Orville that gets the more "Star Trekkie" vibe. Seth knows how to channel the TNG vibe, last episode was directed by The Beard himself:

[​IMG]

GtehMVP and Madmick like this.
  8. JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

JBSchroeds
    I just checked, the ratings tanked when it got moved to Thursday. Went from a 2.2/6.63mil to a 1.1/4.05 mil. This week did a 0.9/3.43mil. That's not actually bad, but it's also not hit numbers. If it dips into the 0.7/2.5mil range then I think it might be into a "toss up" category.

9. CC's left foot Silver Belt

CC's left foot
    Ep5 was great. This show is getting better and better. If it stays on the air for a few seasons I see it becoming truly great once the characters and universe get fleshed out.

Madmick likes this.
  10. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    agreed ^^

they need to get frakes and spiner in on some more directorial efforts.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Madmick and CC's left foot like this.
  11. CC's left foot Silver Belt

CC's left foot
    No. And I don't watch any of his other shows

12. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Sounds like a good show. I'll wait to see if it's renewed for season 2 before investing my time. Fox cancels way to much stuff whether it's good or bad.

ralphc1 likes this.
  13. Cool Hand Luke The Real Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
    If Netflix is smart, they pick this up. I think this would do VERY fucking well on the Netflix platform.

14. Only Here for Attachments I'm on the prowl... for sexy attachments!

Only Here for Attachments
    brb throwing all my Star Trek stuff into a lake

15. EL CORINTHIAN Brown Belt

EL CORINTHIAN
    Every one from my gym is talking about it and the interesting thing about that is that everyone's primarily middle aged there. I heard about the show from them and now I'm watching it. Personally I think the show is fantastic.

16. JadeOwl Brown Belt

JadeOwl
    To paraphrase J.K. Rowling... they already have your money, so by all means, go right ahead.

17. fonzob1 Black Belt

fonzob1
    This show is getting steadily better. I am glad I have continued to watch despite being lukewarm on the premiere.

18. kevy2pale size 33 belt

kevy2pale
    Im really liking this show...

fonzob1 likes this.
  19. val_lixembeau Blue Belt

val_lixembeau
    Yeah, we now have enough episodes to know that this is basically a continuation of Star Trek The Next Generation.

One thing that kind of bugs me about the show so far is that it only masquerades as science fiction. That is, most classic SF is about "what-if" and exploring the consequences of if something were true. In The Orville, they sometimes raise a question, but do nothing about showing the consequences.

So far we have:

Pilot: I'll give them a pass on this since a pilot has to introduce so many things in a short time

Space zoo: so they get bought out of the zoo. What about all the other sentient beings trapped there? They are just going to continue allowing a race to kidnap people from all over space and put them in a zoo?

Trans baby: no real exploration of what it might mean to be an unwanted sex, outside of one lady who may have been a hermit (but nothing about her feelings or how it affected her). No exploration of what advantages or disadvantages this might bring to their culture. The Orville runs roughshod over a minority culture with no consequences from them? You'd think a diplomatic protest to "Star Fleet" would have some results...

For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky: the interesting part of this story isn't convincing people that they live in a starship. The interesting part is what the natives then do with that knowledge. Unfortunately, we only get to see maybe three seconds of that.

Charlize Theron charms all the men: SFINO. Maybe if they had shown some "wonders of the future" that might have tempted some of the crew, I might have liked it better. Otherwise, this could have been set in modern day with only a few tweaks.

Krill undercover: OK, I kind of liked what they did here. And it was one of the few times that Mercer had to face up to what he did. Wish they had made the Krill personality more alien though. I have trouble imagining a failure of communication when the Krill seem so similar to some humans.

20. Boomslang Blue Belt

Boomslang
    People should have listened to him at the Oscars.