Sessions revives civil asset forfeiture for people suspected but not convicted of crimes.

Why isn't this something take up with the courts if it's so clearly wrong?

Party of personal responsibility (unless you deem yourself responsible to light a naturally occurring herb on fire, then the government gets to take your house).

After reading more that case (Leonard vs Texas) was dropped on procedural grounds. The plaintiff didnt cite due process arguments.

Here's a good article on the case and asset forfeiture.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...ut-at-civil-forfeiture-in-supreme-court-case/

Can't imagine what her defense was that didn't involve due process. Beyond that, it's hard to believe there hasn't been any other opportunities for SCOTUS to protect the Constitution in this regard. Especially considering the report that said governments were now taking more of American's property than thieves.

Can't imagine what her defense was that didn't involve due process. Beyond that, it's hard to believe there hasn't been any other opportunities for SCOTUS to protect the Constitution in this regard. Especially considering the report that said governments were now taking more of American's property than thieves.

There was Honeycutt vs US which the defendant won but that was so blatantly wrong because it involved a "co-conspirator". Still, I don't know how(or why) it ever reached the supreme court. The lower courts were fucking that dude over.

But I think the problem is most rampant on the "lower end" (local LE involving smaller sums) but unfortunately on that level most people just aren't willing to fight it in court.

Disgusted w this Party and this person.

I thought Holder was a piece of shit but at least he fought the civil forfeit stuff. But Sessions? WTF is going on with this guy.

The smart already have their attorneys and accountants working overtime to avoid this shit, but still, Christ.

Disgusted w this Party and this person.

I thought Holder was a piece of shit but at least he fought the civil forfeit stuff. But Sessions? WTF is going on with this guy.
He's Trump's hatchet man.

Sessions only reflects the moral temperature and compass of his leader. That's why he's secretly meeting with Russians!

In another reversal of Obama policy the Feds are bringing back asset forfeiture. The policy which allows the gov to seize assets of those who may not even be charged with anything because the gov suspects them of being involved with a crime. The gov can even seize assets in states where its banned.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/session...partment/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=39940505
its already drawing criticism from utah senator mike lee

So are they seizing trump tower?

ETA Forum admin really needs to improve the search function.

I searched for "Sessions" and "asset forfeiture" and got zero hits.

Should target white collar criminals.

They have lawyers.
th
th

Let's all pray what McCain has is contagious and that pays him a hospital visit.

Has there been a constitutional challenge to civil asset forfeiture? I mean, "no person shall be deprived of their property without due process of law" would seem to conflict with stealing people's shit on suspicion of any trumped up crime...

The slow tumble into fascism continues

This needs to be over ruled by the court.

No way this is constitutional, no due process.

Back