Seriously...

giphy.gif
tumblr_oi7hfokEns1ry1rm7o2_250.gif

Fedor is goat and stipe isn't even close... what are you talking about? Did you not see the lopsided poll that some idiot posted
My issue is with the ease at which any popular fighter enters the GOAT discussion in the MMA community.

It is not about Stipe. He is just a good recent example. I could have used Joanna Champ, Conor McGregor and few more as examples too,

The discussion is about the way the term is so loosely used in the MMA community, not any particular fighter.

Conor won two belts.

Sorry that it took him 3 years instead of 15.

He's just that good. That's why he's the GOAT.
Conor is nowhere near the G.O.A.T....... You Conor fans are delusional.

So if you were Conor, you would not bother making 100M fighting Floyd, and instead you'd defend an MMA belt for less money and less "epicness"?

No offence dude but that sounds like some pretty poor decision making on your part.

Conor will defend his belts when the time is right for him. The haters can piss and whine all they want, but they aren't coming from any logical position. You all are just screaming nonsense like babies.

When is this going to take place exactly? He has yet to defend ONE fkn time, holding four belts. He is nowhere near a G.O.A.T.

The MMA media (the supposed professionals) are talking about it. Other fighters are talking about it. The fans are talking about it.

The entire MMA community is labeling any popular fighter who wins a couple fights a GOAT. If you don't think this is happening then you are in the minority.
You said it was a marketing tool, that would only apply if it were the promotion pushing the nonsense.

Conor is nowhere near the G.O.A.T....... You Conor fans are delusional.

Yes I'm delusional yet you're the one who just wrote Conor is "nowhere near" the GOAT.

If he's not there already, he's at least near it.

GOAT if ...
a) you did fight the best of the best in their prime
b) defended your title for a few years

a+b = GOAT

i know that there are other factors, but these two are the most (imo) important.

When is this going to take place exactly? He has yet to defend ONE fkn time, holding four belts. He is nowhere near a G.O.A.T.

Name a time when you're claiming he should or should've defended.

He's always had bigger shit going on. I'm sure if he beat Floyd he'll come defend his MMA belt. But seriously, when are you claiming he should've defended?

My issue is with the ease at which any popular fighter enters the GOAT discussion in the MMA community.

It is not about Stipe. He is just a good recent example. I could have used Joanna Champ, Conor McGregor and few more as examples too,

The discussion is about the way the term is so loosely used in the MMA community, not any particular fighter.
I agree with you 100%, new fans are so short sided and quick to jump to conclusions... just last year people were calling Cain the goat

The sport is so young it's possible to be in the argument after a great run spanning 3 or 4 years. The benchmarks are there: Fedor, Anderson, GSP, Jones... If Stipe continues to pulverise the division for another 5 or 6 fights, sure, he'll be in contention. In the end It's subjective and the term is ridiculous for a quarter century old sport but it is what it is.

IMO, there is a goat of each division. Just because your the greatest MW doesn't mean your the overall goat. Each division should have a goat. I'm not sure what the age of the sport has to do with it.

Name a time when you're claiming he should or should've defended.

He's always had bigger shit going on. I'm sure if he beat Floyd he'll come defend his MMA belt. But seriously, when are you claiming he should've defended?

Keep gargling man............................................................Keep gargling.

Keep gargling man............................................................Keep gargling.

All I see here is that you didn't answer the question.

So I guess the discussion is over. There was no time yet where Conor should've defended, so therefore you whining about it is pointless.

If you're unable to supply a date as to when Conor should or should have defended, then you're done. Have a nice day.

"Conor never defended! This is bullshit!!"

"When was he supposed to defend?"

"SHUT UP! KEEP GARGLING MAN!"

lol goof

In other sports you have to be at the top for at least 10 to 15 years before people start talking about "GOAT" status.

In MMA you win 5 fights and people already start claiming you are the "GOAT." Stipe had 2 title defenses and now the "GOAT" label is being attached to his name. Really!

I know it is just a marketing tool, but it is stupid, and doesn't even make sense. It makes the UFC seem like WWE without the scripted ending. Just drama with a few fights sprinkled here and there.

The first real GOAT of MMA will probably emerge when current 30 to 35 year old fans are in their 60's.

Thoughts.
I agree with you. For example, as good as Jon Jones has been, he is quite possibly the best LHW fighter MMA has ever seen, but I would still consider Chuck & Randy ahead of him in terms of greatness.
But it's subjective, it's how you perceive greatness

In other sports you have to be at the top for at least 10 to 15 years before people start talking about "GOAT" status.

In MMA you win 5 fights and people already start claiming you are the "GOAT." Stipe had 2 title defenses and now the "GOAT" label is being attached to his name. Really!

I know it is just a marketing tool, but it is stupid, and doesn't even make sense. It makes the UFC seem like WWE without the scripted ending. Just drama with a few fights sprinkled here and there.

The first real GOAT of MMA will probably emerge when current 30 to 35 year old fans are in their 60's.

Thoughts.

No.
The first GOAT is Fedor. That is simply not debatable.

As the sport progresses though, more fighters gets added to the mix I.e. GSP and SIlva

But that is normal.

What is not normal is to lauding people Fighters as GOAT over potential (like Junior then Cain) and then they sputter and fall, and people see they did not accomplish half of what they thought they would.
Now we have Conor & Miocic on those calls.
But they also have not accomplished even half of other "GOAT's" accomplished. they CAN do it, but let them do it first, before claiming they are GOAT.

I agree with you. For example, as good as Jon Jones has been, he is quite possibly the best LHW fighter MMA has ever seen, but I would still consider Chuck & Randy ahead of him in terms of greatness.
But it's subjective, it's how you perceive greatness

Jones has more title defenses and beat better fighters.

GOAT level striking right?

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F08%2F02%2Fronda%2Bko%2Bgif.gif
It's funny watching this in hindsight, Ronda couldn't even hit a static target on the jaw.
Unless she was aiming for a thumb knuckle punch behind the ear

Back