[Serious Topic] Friend's Mental Health (Update: Post #39)

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This isn't a troll or a joke. I have a friend who has recently gone off the deep end. Now, for the last 10 years or so, it wasn't that big of a deal. He'd make comments here and there that made me think he was out there:

(a) He is a bit of a conspiracy theorist
(b) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth women no matter the circumstance
(c) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth white people, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere
(d) He's a bit of a man-child. He's over 30 but he's extremely messy, doesn't shower regularly and will throw tantrums if he gets mad enough
(e) He's probably been smoking pot since college but I can confirm at least the last 3-4 years

Now that all sounds pretty bad but I'd say he has been around a 6-7 out of 10 on the "WTF is wrong with you" scale. Within the last month or so, he's shot straight to 10. Now,

(i) He's extremely paranoid. He thinks secret service is stalking him
(ii) He claims to have figured out the bible and immortality but can't tell anyone because it could mean death to him and his family
(iii) He was all giddy a few days ago because he claims a mosquito landed on his hand and sat there for an hour without biting him.
(iv) He is now babbling about karma, love and being "a child of God". Not in the way the average religious person talks about it. He does it in a really weird, off-putting way.

Has anyone here known anyone similar to this? If so, what mental problem did that person end up having? How did he/she get it treated?

Some of that stuff sounds like the symptoms of a paranoid schizophrenic.

You need to figure out how to get your friend help. He is having some sort of manic episode. I'm not a psychiatrist but none of that sounds healthy. Maybe call his parents and tell them your concerns.

Also weed can "activate" schizophrenia if you have the genetics for it.

Sounds like a manic episode. Manic people tend lash out and get angry easier plus get quite delusional. Does he ever get really depressed episodes?

Sorry to hear that man.

Try to get him professional help. Do you think he'd be willing to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist? Maybe he even needs to be admitted for a while.

If he's not willing to get help maybe you can call his parents or something or find another way to make him get help. This stuff probably won't get better without help.

There must be places to call in your area that can guide you on your options to help your friend. You can also ask him if he has any thoughts of hurting himself or others or any active homicidal or suicidal thoughts. If he does, you could possibly take him to the ER, which would then trigger a 5150 (assuming he admits the same thoughts)

He definitely sounds like he has something going on. Could be psychosis, schizophrenia, bipolar, schizoaffective, etc. Believe it or not there are lot of people that get admitted to a acute psych ward from drug-induced psychosis from pot. It also sounds like he has some personality cluster traits going on.

Sounds like a manic episode. Manic people tend lash out and get angry easier plus get quite delusional. Does he ever get really depressed episodes?
There are times he said he saw someone kill a fly, which made him start crying.

I have a friend just like this who currently serves in the Army. He constantly changes his social media profile names because he claims criminal organizations are looking for him because of a "supposed" sting operation he conducted in California.

Mind you, this guy is 25, doesn't have a drivers license, can't drive either, never had a girl friend, had sex, or even kissed a girl, and thinks hes an "A type personality". This guy has also attempted Ranger school, SF school, and even airborne school and failed out of all of them because of fear of heights, or instructors deeming him not fit for the job. All the while this man thinks hes a Navy SEAL/Chris Kyle type person. I'm no doctor, but I'm sure this is what someone would call delusions of grandeur.

Its unfortunate that sometimes these issues go undiagnosed for long periods of times. I heard that they can even get worse.

Sorry to hear that man.

Try to get him professional help. Do you think he'd be willing to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist? Maybe he even needs to be admitted for a while.

If he's not willing to get help maybe you can call his parents or something or find another way to make him get help. This stuff probably won't get better without help.
His parents and immediate family already know everything I'm telling you guys. They are talking about talking him to see someone. I dunno how he will take it, though.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

His family can have him committed for 72 hours. That seems like a good approach because this dude sounds fucking nuts. What you've described is not normal behavior at all.

A lot of people develop hidden skitzo tendencies middle age and up. Weed certainly can trigger it also . Homeboy is gonna need some meds and here in piece of shit cali you can be a broke mental case bum and get free meds from my tax money !

This isn't a troll or a joke. I have a friend who has recently gone off the deep end. Now, for the last 10 years or so, it wasn't that big of a deal. He'd make comments here and there that made me think he was out there:

(a) He is a bit of a conspiracy theorist
(b) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth women no matter the circumstance
(c) He always jumped on any opportunity to bad-mouth white people, sometimes seemingly out of nowhere
(d) He's a bit of a man-child. He's over 30 but he's extremely messy, doesn't shower regularly and will throw tantrums if he gets mad enough
(e) He's probably been smoking pot since college but I can confirm at least the last 3-4 years

Now that all sounds pretty bad but I'd say he has been around a 6-7 out of 10 on the "WTF is wrong with you" scale. Within the last month or so, he's shot straight to 10. Now,

(i) He's extremely paranoid. He thinks secret service is stalking him
(ii) He claims to have figured out the bible and immortality but can't tell anyone because it could mean death to him and his family
(iii) He was all giddy a few days ago because he claims a mosquito landed on his hand and sat there for an hour without biting him.
(iv) He is now babbling about karma, love and being "a child of God". Not in the way the average religious person talks about it. He does it in a really weird, off-putting way.

Has anyone here known anyone similar to this? If so, what mental problem did that person end up having? How did he/she get it treated?
He is most likely suffering from psychosis, and if he smokes weed everyday, that's most likely what is causing it. Treatment means going into a hospital and staying there for a few months, which sucks. I have been in this situation, you need to get help fast or you can totally lose it.

His parents and immediate family already know everything I'm telling you guys. They are talking about talking him to see someone. I dunno how he will take it, though.
I hope it goes well. Would be sad to see him go completely mad and ruin his life. I just hope they can help him before he harms himself or anyone else.

Back