Serious Question: How does Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko remain so calm before fights?

Footwork333

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, this has been a real fascination of mine for a long time.

After watching so many of both Vitali's and Wladimir's fights I STILL find it amazing how they appear so calm as they walk to the ring and especially when they're inside the ring and their opponent is standing a few feet from them. Vitali has seemed to be the tougher of the two in terms of his mental toughness.
I've heard other fighters say that they're calm before the fight because they've put in the hard work in their training and preparation in the weeks leading up to the fight, but still, a fighter is about to perform in front of millions of people and ANYTHING can happen... they could get viciously KOed and look like a fool in front of the whole world.

I'd LOVE to know if either Vitali or Wladimir has ever talked about the process they follow of becoming so calm before the fight.

Thanks!

Feel like a lot of Eastern Euros carry the cool calm killer demeanor.

Im Merican, so thats just what it appears to me. Dated a chick from Ukraine and the males in her fam were very much like that as well. But thats as far as my experience goes.

Feel like a lot of Eastern Euros carry the cool calm killer demeanor.

Im Merican, so thats just what it appears to me. Dated a chick from Ukraine and the males in her fam were very much like that as well. But thats as far as my experience goes.

Conor seems pretty damn calm, though obviously not an Eastern Euro. Not in that real stoic way though. Going into this Diaz rematch I feel his demeanor may look a bit different once they're in the cage staring across from each other again.

This video clip I just dug up quite clearly illustrates TS' point of Wlad's calmness (rewind to watch how calm he was during the walkout). Compare his demeanor to McCline, who was definitely overmatched, but nonetheless, he looked like he was about to have a panic attack and was very anxious while obviously trying to control his heart rate through a breathing exercise. Wlad here looks supremely confident (as he should've looked against this guy) and really calm.

I remember watching this fight back in 2002 so it came to my mind once I thought about Wlad's composure, especially compared to some of his opponents.

Last edited:
Corrie Sanders punches had a very calming effect on Wlad's legs.

Hey guys, this has been a real fascination of mine for a long time.

After watching so many of both Vitali's and Wladimir's fights I STILL find it amazing how they appear so calm as they walk to the ring and especially when they're inside the ring and their opponent is standing a few feet from them. Vitali has seemed to be the tougher of the two in terms of his mental toughness.
I've heard other fighters say that they're calm before the fight because they've put in the hard work in their training and preparation in the weeks leading up to the fight, but still, a fighter is about to perform in front of millions of people and ANYTHING can happen... they could get viciously KOed and look like a fool in front of the whole world.

I'd LOVE to know if either Vitali or Wladimir has ever talked about the process they follow of becoming so calm before the fight.

Thanks!
In Vladimir's case he is just thinking over and over again " I must not get hit on the chin , i must not get hit on the chin" .It has an hypnotic effect on him , hence the blank expression on his face.

Wlad said he didn't even like boxing before traini ng with Emmanuel Steward. For him it was just his job because he was good at it. Apparently Steward made him really like boxing but he probably still has that attitude of doing his job. He has trained his whole life for that job and like any boxer he thinks he can beat anyone so why would he be nervous?

Vitali is just a born fighter he really seemed to like boxing and didn#t shy away from wars he enjoyed fighting. So why would he be nervous?

Tyson also said he was scared before fights but got more confident the closer the fight got and on fight night he was totally calm.

One thing is that they both looking at boxing as a sport and not a fight...
Also being on a big ko/win streak should help too...

Another thing is...growing up in the Ukraine (late 70's 80's)...isn't the most amazing thing on earth i believe...with the Chernobyl happening and having a father who was send over there to 'clean that mess up' and getting fucking sick from that is much harder to deal with than having someone in front of you who is looking for a fight...i think

Have you never seen a meanwhile in Russia thread?

Fighting a professional boxer is a step down in their day to day crazy exposure.

Confidence in their ability and knowing they have done the work I guess. Maybe it's a Russian thing though, Fedor looks like he's walking down the shops to get the newspaper when he walks out to fight.

Confidence in their ability and knowing they have done the work I guess. Maybe it's a Russian thing though, Fedor looks like he's walking down the shops to get the newspaper when he walks out to fight.

Mousasi looks like he's half asleep in the cage before the ref starts his fights. Some guys are just that calm and relaxed. It's really comical with Mousasi though. Funny enough for video of Gegard to make it onto the American Tosh.0 comedy show.

Last edited:
This video clip I just dug up quite clearly illustrates TS' point of Wlad's calmness (rewind to watch how calm he was during the walkout). Compare his demeanor to McCline, who was definitely overmatched, but nonetheless, he looked like he was about to have a panic attack and was very anxious while obviously trying to control his heart rate through a breathing exercise. Wlad here looks supremely confident (as he should've looked against this guy) and really calm.

I remember watching this fight back in 2002 so it came to my mind once I thought about Wlad's composure, especially compared to some of his opponents.

Wow, you're awesome for posting that! Thanks!!!

Antithetical to sherdawg standards... He's a very intelligent chilled guy

Back