Movies Serious Movie Discussion

I saw The Shape Of Water about a week ago. I really, really, liked it. If you’re a fan of Amelie and Delicatessan, then you will be into this shit. His best work I think.

I admit that has me a bit nervous about it not being that big a fan of Jeunet style "euro twee".

Mandala+(3).jpg

Today I watched Mandala by Im Kwon-taek (1981). I thought it was wonderful. It follows the stories of two monks and there different perspectives/struggles to find meaning in the world, their attempts to overcome nihilism - one is a younger monk who is trying to follow a strict, conventional lifestyle for a Buddhist monk, while the older one is a "corrupted monk", who was 'excommunicated' for sleeping with a girl and who is now a wandering alcoholic. Though the film is not as clear cut as this might suggest. It offers a sophisticated look at the questions of the meaning of life from a Seon Buddhist point of view (not to say it gives definitive answers); it is a Buddhist film, but not 'fundamentalist' (to use a Western term), rather it works within a greyer area, offering a much more nuanced perspective that is at times critical of some aspects of Buddhist belief/practice, while not denouncing the entirety of it. It has a lot of psychological and emotional depth to it, and perhaps it is just for guys like me who struggle with nihilism (in the past, not as much now) but I found it extremely relatable.

All in all beautiful film that certainly struck a chord with me, it reminded me of reading Religion and Nothingess by Keiji Nishitani, which is one of my favourite works of philosophy.

I admit that has me a bit nervous about it not being that big a fan of Jeunet style "euro twee".
4 rillz? I absolutely love that vibe. It makes me sad a little though because when you say look at the vibe of the surroundings (kind of run-down chic or water you want to call it), it’s a bit painful to realize that just doesn’t really exist anymore.

Am i alone in thinking John Wick 2 wasnt that great? It was fine but too repetitive. I got a little bored honestly

Am i alone in thinking John Wick 2 wasnt that great? It was fine but too repetitive. I got a little bored honestly

I just don't get the praise of John Wick 1/2 anyway.
The plot is as unimaginative as it gets and the fight choreography (basically Wick giving out continuous headshots) gets old really fast.
And let's be honest, Keanu Reeves' acting is keepingnone of his movies alive.

I just don't get the praise of John Wick 1/2 anyway.
The plot is as unimaginative as it gets and the fight choreography (basically Wick giving out continuous headshots) gets old really fast.
And let's be honest, Keanu Reeves' acting is keepingnone of his movies alive.

The films are I'd say judged more via typical action/kung fu kind of standards, such films are very often pretty poor outside of those aspects so these being decent if not exactly remarkable is a positive.

I did enjoy Atomic Blonde more though, still obviously action focused rather than a serious spy film but better characters and more interesting(in its brutality) action.

The films are I'd say judged more via typical action/kung fu kind of standards, such films are very often pretty poor outside of those aspects so these being decent if not exactly remarkable is a positive.

I did enjoy Atomic Blonde more though, still obviously action focused rather than a serious spy film but better characters and more interesting(in its brutality) action.

I know that and even by that standard John Wick is meh.
I'm a big fan of John Woo, Jet Li,Jackie Chan,early Steven Seagal or most recently The Raid 2 because they get creative in terms of fight choreography.

I know that and even by that standard John Wick is meh.
I'm a big fan of John Woo, Jet Li,Jackie Chan,early Steven Seagal or most recently The Raid 2 because they get creative in terms of fight choreography.

I think its not embarrassed next to the best Hong Kong cinema although I'd agree lacking somewhat in creativity. Again I think Atomic Blonde was more interesting with its action although it was kind of amusing to see a film with so much brutal violence in it having to be artful with its nudity for fear of getting a higher rating.

Anybody see The Blackcoat's Daughter? Released in the UK as under it's original title February. I think February was what the director wanted to call it, and some marketing executive said no one will go see a horror movie called February, we've got to give it a more cliche horror sounding name.

Anyway, I really liked it. Slow paced film, very atmospheric and creepy, and in the end quite sad, like the best horror films IMO. I think the writing was good, but what really make it great was the acting and directing. This is a movie that could have been a total disaster if done by some hack director, filled with jump scares and exposition.

The story is pretty straightforward, but the way it's presented with little to no explanation keeps it from being obvious (to me at least). This movie is crazy to me because there were some many ways it could have gone wrong. It could easily have been boring, confusing, or silly. A good movie to go into totally blind.

The director was Oz Perkins, son of Anthony.

MV5BNDBmZGI5OGYtNTEyMi00NWJjLWExOGItMjgyOWQ4NGVkNDZiL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

This was his debut as a writer/director (he previously co-wrote Cold Comes the Night) and shows a lot of promise. His second film I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House is on netflix streaming. Apparently Blackcoat's Daughter was screened at festivals in 2015, but wasn't released until 2017, so his second film was actually released first.

Last edited:

I think the second suffers severely from a lack of propulsion due to motivation being so confused, then straight up being abandoned to set up the sequel.

I thought the choreography was better than the first. You? Subway Keanu was excellent.

Been awful quiet in here of late...

Word.

I think the second suffers severely from a lack of propulsion due to motivation being so confused, then straight up being abandoned to set up the sequel.

I thought the choreography was better than the first. You? Subway Keanu was excellent.

Word.
I liked the first better but couldntt tell you a thing about it. The only sta nd out scene in 2 is the tunnel fight

I liked the first better but couldntt tell you a thing about it. The only sta nd out scene in 2 is the tunnel fight

That's fair. I like the first a good deal better.

The secret society stuff isn't executed well enough in either, I don't think. Feels like a whole other part of the plot that they never quite make work with the central conflict (former assassin, wife killed, dog killed). So about halfway, they both begin to plod a little.

I legit don't remember the inciting incident in the second.

What'd you like from 2017? I tended to like your and Flemmy's taste in general. I've missed a few from last year.

The Shape of Water was solid. The first 30 minutes or so that you spend adjusting to the setting is mesmerizing. Every shot is tight and thick with a movement and density that pulls you into the film's fantastical nature.

I did think it got less engaging as it went on, but a couple of choice moments and the charm of Richard Jenkins kept me amused through to the end.

That's fair. I like the first a good deal better.

The secret society stuff isn't executed well enough in either, I don't think. Feels like a whole other part of the plot that they never quite make work with the central conflict (former assassin, wife killed, dog killed). So about halfway, they both begin to plod a little.

I legit don't remember the inciting incident in the second.

What'd you like from 2017? I tended to like your and Flemmy's taste in general. I've missed a few from last year.
I miss flemmy

From 2017:
https://letterboxd.com/gunranger/films/ratings/year/2017/by/entry-rating/

Theres a lot i havent seen yet though

And i just watched The Accountant and really liked it. I need a sequel

I saw The Shape Of Water about a week ago. I really, really, liked it. If you’re a fan of Amelie and Delicatessan, then you will be into this shit. His best work I think.

Just saw it today. Awesome cast. Great filmmaking. Very good overall. Could be my favorite of the 7/9 best picture nominees I've seen. Sort of a closely contested triple threat for that title between it, The Post, and Three Billboards.

The Shape of Water was solid. The first 30 minutes or so that you spend adjusting to the setting is mesmerizing. Every shot is tight and thick with a movement and density that pulls you into the film's fantastical nature.

I did think it got less engaging as it went on, but a couple of choice moments and the charm of Richard Jenkins kept me amused through to the end.

Jenkins, Stuhlbarg, Shannon, Spencer that's about as stacked a supporting cast as you're going to get.

Jenkins is so damn good. One of those actors who is really good in both comedic and dramatic roles.

Yet when I see him in anything, I'll always at least briefly think of his brief scene as the psychologist in There's Something About Mary. Sneaks back into the session after having left to get a sandwich. Hears only the tail end of the story. Insinuates that Stiller might be gay and then the alarm goes off and he so casually says, "Oh. Time she's up. We'll delve into that...a little later."

haha. Comedy classic.

One thing that I mentioned in the thread on the movie and that's worth bringing up hear

The packed crowd I saw it with reacted like they were scandalized when naked Hawkins went into the tub with The Asset. I found that amusing. Were they shocked? If you didn't see that's where things were heading, I don't really know what to tell you.

Last edited:

I was questioning whether to see this or not, but I loved Amelie and Delicatessen so I'm definitely checking this one out now. I wanna see I, Tonya as well, might see it tomorrow.

Back