Serious Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Bullitt68, Dec 21, 2017.

1. WouldNotBang

WouldNotBang Lucille Belt

What a crazy looking monster. Very cool and original. I didn’t get the deal with the lights and shelves and stuff as he was escaping the woods.

Grevor and LogicalInsanity like this.
  2. HatchetHarry

HatchetHarry Yellow Card Yellow Card

Finally saw Hateful Eight and absolutely loved it. It was much better than Django and Inglorious Bastards.

fortheo and chickenluver like this.
  3. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Saw Blood Simple for the first time. Vintage Coen stuff though I think they improved upon the work the did there in subsequent films. I could see why it is thought of so favorably, but I thought that for a 95 minute movie, there was definitely some dragging.

The way I saw it, any part with Hedaya and/or Walsh was great. The Getz/McDormand stuff tended to drag- until McDormand goes full badass toward the end there. The use of light flooding the darkened room through the bullet holes in the wall was brilliant.

Anyway, real crazy seeing Frances that young. I forgot her career has spanned 30-plus years. I'd like to see more of her work from that era. I know she is in Mississippi Burning and I've yet to see that one. I've also caught wind of a late 80s film with her, Gary Oldman, and Dennis Hopper about the horrible conditions in Florida mental institutions in the 50s which sounds interesting. Oldman, Hopper, and McDormand, it's gotta be good.

4. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Alpha booze head

Saw Tigerland yesterday, it was a surprise to me how good it was. Colin Farrel was on top form for that movie, it makes me wonder why he isn't in more movies.

ufcfan4 and fortheo like this.
  5. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

I can't wait until superhero movies are a throwback genre like how Westerns are now.

6. UL

UL no more yellows

Good Time

real good movie
    i give it an 8

rotten tomato has it at 92%

The Professional likes this.
  7. theskza

theskza Silver Belt

Thought it was alright. It needed more of the brother. That was an awesome character and performance. I was mesmerized every time he was on screen.

8. Ricky13

Ricky13 You are who you choose to be.

Been trying to catch up with the big ones.

Black Panther - better Marvel fare than usual. More safe than I would have liked, but I had a good time. I thought it would be more Do the Right Thing. At least from everything I'd heard. Lovely message. Not enough conflict between factions to elevate it, but sufficient to make the stakes palpable. I think I'm more disappointed in Coogler than I am with the experience.

I liked Lady Bird a fair bit.

Loved The Shape of Water. I worry about story with that guy - he's so beholden to the craft that he gets lost in the sumptuousness of the medium - but he did it right this time.

How far did you get?

Can't remember if you liked it now. I'm seeing it as this year's Crash (in spirit).

9. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

So did anyone actually see Molly's Game? I for one have been busy as fuck these last couple of months, so I didn't get a chance to see it even though I desperately wanted to, and looking it up now, I see that it's not even playing in the theater anymore, so I officially missed it :mad:

Granted, I did manage to finish my PhD thesis. But, having missed both Dunkirk and Molly's Game this past year, at what cost?

10. Ricky13

I did man. Didn't dig. I think even you'd be disappointed. Bit of a mess, really.

Congrats on finishing the thesis. What I'd give to be in your shoes right now....

11. KOQ24

KOQ24 Gold Belt

Blood Simple is on my all time Fave list.
    "Simple", but so effective.
    Young directors just shouldn't be able to make Films like that.
    M. Emmett Walsh & McDormand are crazy good in this.
    The Cinematography is a jerkoff session for Noir Fans, esp. the Field Burial scene and the Finale.

ufcfan4 and chickenluver like this.
  12. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

The Farrel curse, seems like every blockbuster he picks turns out shite even if he's not bad in them, good thing is though its ment he's been in some outstanding smaller films like In Bruge and The Lobster. Him and Kidman in Killing of a Sacred Deer seemed like the match of the failed megastars turned indie darlings.

Watched Sexy Beast for the first time in awhile yesterday, it is interesting just how much Glazer shifted between his early career and Under The Skin but its still a dam good film, the best Brit gangster film since Long Good Friday I would say, Kinsley definitely in the running for the most threatening character in film history.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    chickenluver likes this.
  13. NikkiNeversleep

NikkiNeversleep OG Werdum Fan

I'm still stuck on Skarsgard's performance in IT lol

fortheo and The Professional like this.
  14. The Professional

The Professional Green Belt

that was a great movie. highly recommended. glad someone else saw it besides me!

also, 3 billboards outside ebbing missouri is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

15. The Professional

The Professional Green Belt

i dont get the love for Lady Bird. I gave it a chance, probably saw the first hour until I turned it off. It wasn't bad, but those who said "it appeals to everyone" and it's not just a "coming of age drama." I couldn't relate to the catholic school millenial pink haired girl who insisted everyone call her "Lady Bird." Maybe my expectations were too high after all the rave reviews.

Shape of Water was great, albeit predictable at times. Huge fan of Guillermo Del Tor. I still think Pan's Labryinth is his best movie. Masterpiece.

Agreed with you on Black Panther. I felt a lot of the emotional pull was with its cultural significance, and it was a great thing to behold. If they could just not rely so heavily on CGI for some of the action sequences....

And again, I was blown away by 3 billboards. The first five minutes into the movie it's obvious the screenplay and acting were on point. Then add the story, the humor, the dark comedy - shit had it all!

16. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

Not seen Ladybird yet or indeed Phantom Thread but I do still think Three Billboards is by far the most deserving of the BP win of what I have seen.

I think you perhaps highlight the issue with Shape of Water, by its own standards its a very good film indeed but doesn't quite reach the level of Pan's which I think perfectly merges the fantasy and gritty drama. Again I kind of felt the creature himself was a little lacking in personality, it was a good physical performance but sticking with pratical makeup mostly made him rather lacking in expression compared to Gollum or Ceaser. Its really Hawkins character that carries the film IMHO and I think she should probably be getting most of the Oscar hype.

The Professional likes this.
  17. Ricky13

I've seen it a lot, once at the cinema as well. All I can do when I'm watching it now is keep my mouth wide open at their chops and think, "This was their FIRST feature?"

Quality.

That's a shame man. I imagine I have even less reasons to relate to her, demographically speaking. It hit home for me nonetheless. It gets pubescent self-involvement nicely, all the while promoting how kids are sensitive to adult struggles more than we give them credit for. Like the old Bowie lines:

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

They just don't know how to act about it. Lady Bird appears petulant in their fights but always seems to understand where mom is coming from. But all she can do is, "Give me a number." It fucks me up. She's got a long way to go, but that's a good thing. Movie also does a good job at indicating how attuned teens are to what money means. Could have used a bit more flourish with the camera, but I imagine Gerwig had a vision she wasn't going to take chances with.

18. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

I just watched the Wanderers for the first time. It was an amusing gang/coming of age movie with a great soundtrack. It was pretty funny, too, although I'm not sure if it's funny because it was intended to be a comedy (it was) or if it's funny because some of it is dated and just seems funny--probably both. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed it.The pacing, the action, the character development was all to my liking.

The opening chase/fight scene was amazing and really shows how the soundtrack adds to the film. I also can't stop quoting this guy:

Overall, it's a great throwback film.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  19. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

Honestly I'm still surprised it didn't get more hype at the time, certainly better than Django I'd agree which whilst fun was pretty simplistic for Tarantino who normally brings a bit more moral complexity.

ufcfan4 and chickenluver like this.
  20. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

It’s certainly a good movie. I liked Shape of Water, Three Billboards and The Post better, but it was very well done and thematically, I think you really hit the nail on the head with some of those elements that the film really captured well.

If I’m being honest, I’d rather see Saoirse win the academy award even though it’s close to a foregone conclusion now that Mcdormand will.
    Two of my favorite actresses but with Mcdormand having already won and with Ronan taking a character that was bit more out of her wheelhouse, I think that I’d pick her.

chickenluver likes this.