Serious Movie Discussion | Page 39

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Bullitt68, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Sigh GunRanger You think anybody will notice?

Sigh GunRanger
    Civil War was far and away the beat marvel movie. Really surprisedby it

chickenluver and ufcfan4 like this.
  2. alanb Purple Belt

alanb

I can't wait

3. Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

Amerikuracana
    Serious movie discussion? Movies suck right now.

4. Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

Rimbaud82
    <36>

ufcfan4 likes this.
  5. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

ufcfan4
    Jackie Chan and Brosnan got me a bit interested.

But Roose mfing Bolton put it in must see territory.

alanb likes this.
  6. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Havent seen it since release but I do think the the Russo's have really perfected the "team" Marvel formula, Weadon wasn't bad its true but I think his Avengers films just had something of a lack of focus to them, the Russo's know what the centre of there stories are much more than he did and pare down the focus on that.

Going back to something else I haven't seen since its cinema release finally got around to watching a that Black Swan DVD thats been knocking around unopened for a couple of years. Still very enjoyable with Portman excellent in it although a bit trashier than I remember with a few rather clichéd jumpscares. It did perhaps not feel as fresh anymore either since I would say Aronofsky was "first to market" here in terms of using that ultra closeup style in a more mainstream film, since then we've seen it quite a lot in stuff like Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Colour and Portmans own Jackie last year which I do have the argument of being better less trashy cinema.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  7. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

ufcfan4
    Civil War was just an awesome movie top to bottom. You're right, the next Avengers movies are in good hands with them at the helm. It's rare to have movies with so many characters that actually do justice to the characters and give everybody their chance to shine.

Black Swan is a good one. Only saw it once, but I definitely was digging the Portman performance and the atmosphere Aronvosky built. My favorite part is probably the sequence that builds to the Portman/Kunis love scene. I really like that moment where she drunkenly interacts with her repressive mother. "You've been drinking." "Ding ding ding."

You see these trailers and TV spots for Aronovsky's new movie, Mother. Looks very fucked up and strange to the extent that I'm very curious to watch it.

8. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    It will be interesting to see how they handle that, the Cap films did naturally focus on him and they added in a small number of other lead characters with the rest more in the background. Will they do the same with the Avengers? I spose with a two film spilt they could make the focus shift between them, have some character to the fore in the first and others in the second.

Mother does seem more towards the standard horror aspects you see in Black Swan, could potentially be good but personally I think his biggest strength as a director is more straighter drama, my other favourite film by him would be The Wrestler.

Again I still enjoyed it alot but there did seem a but more of a disparity between Portman's performance and some of the rest of the film. She played the role in a very realistic fashion yet her home environment was rather more over the top full of stuffed toys and such an obviously domineering mother, don't think it needed to be quiet that extreme to get across that she was emotionally/sexually repressed.

Talking about the general style(hyper crossups, shallow depth of focus, moody chiaroscuro cinematography) as well I would actually say whilst its not entirely new having been present more outside the mainstream(Wong Kar-Wai comes to mind) for awhiel previously I wouldn't be supprised if it comes to be viewed as the most significant trend of this era. Its spread outside of the kind of drama's that it camer to the fore in as well, stuff like Fury Road, Contact and Rogue One being recent examples that used aspects quite heavily.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    ufcfan4 likes this.
  9. Sigh GunRanger You think anybody will notice?

Sigh GunRanger
  10. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    The key success of the film is surely that a lot of people(such as myself) went from being tired of his Wolverine to being sad it was gone by the end.

Makes me hope we get something similar from Marvel in the future for another character, perhaps McKellan's Magneto? that could potentially carry on the story of the kid mutants Logan started with him becoming involved.

Not sure they would have the guts to do it in the MCU but I think a Black Widow film could potentially be taken in a similar kind of direction.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    chickenluver and Karnage like this.
  11. Karnage I <3 Belgium

Karnage
    Just watched Get Out.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but that is one overrated movie.

Boy, there was not one surprising twist. Not even the story was particularly inventive. I'll avoid spoilers.

Sorry guys. It did nothing for me.

Except for making me want to rewatch It Follows one more time.

12. Joe_Armstrong Starfleet Belt

Joe_Armstrong
    Just had a Bill and Ted marathon.
    Keanu Reaves sometimes talks about making nr 3

[​IMG]

Not bad graphics for the time

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  13. Fizzee Water Silver Belt

Fizzee Water
    [​IMG]

14. Karnage I <3 Belgium

Karnage
    Sorry, mang. I enjoyed the black/white theme for a while, even though it was on-the-nose. Nothing else stood out for me.

Acting was brilliant obv.

15. Fizzee Water Silver Belt

Fizzee Water
    How much did you know about it going into it? A lot of previews were way too heavy on spoiling plot points. I went in cold and I really enjoyed it. You're right about the acting. Daniel Kaluuya's performance was incredible in particular.

ufcfan4 and Karnage like this.
  16. Karnage I <3 Belgium

Karnage
    I saw the trailer about three times and that was it. Most of flashing scenes were in that trailer I suppose.

I was expecting more horror I think. A plot twist would have been nice, too.

17. Sigh GunRanger You think anybody will notice?

Sigh GunRanger
    @Bullitt68 link me you loganthoughts. The search function sucks

18. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

ufcfan4
    Kaluuya was so damn good and his character was extremely likable.

I feel as though that scene between him and Kenner was easily one of the more effectively shot, acted, executed horror movie scenes of the past few years.

19. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

ufcfan4
    Yeah I felt it was more of a thriller/social satire than a straight up horror movie. Still really entertaining though in my view.

Fizzee Water likes this.
  20. Bullitt68 Senior Moderator

Bullitt68
    [​IMG]

Sigh GunRanger likes this.