Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched two in a row tonight just to impress @europe1. Fortunately they were both from Woody Allen and so didn't demand my rapt attention:

Cafe Society was dull. There was nothing especially wrong with it except that the plot didn't go anywhere - the intensity of the colour and lighting was a pleasant cinematographic surprise, and the performances were strong (though I can never take Carrell seriously), but the cultural insight and philosophy were too easy in the few places where they weren't cliche. Disappointing especially from Allen, who only really needed to fill up the main structure with some fresh, casual charm to make it a winner.

Blue Jasmine on the other hand was Allen at his best. Ambiguous characters and vivacious cultural intersections elevate a fucking killer performance by Blanchett, and the best part is that none of it required any over-the-top explicitness to drive home. Her Jasmine had all the flaws of Streetcar's Blanche but somehow managed to provoke a sympathy that feels deserved, even on reflection. I haven't yet decided whether the actions of hers we learn about at the end ultimately bury her or redeem her even further.

Watched two in a row tonight just to impress @europe1.

vXeq1JW.gif

Fortunately they were both from Woody Allen

kn.gif

You win so well and then you fail so high.

Watched two in a row tonight just to impress @europe1. Fortunately they were both from Woody Allen and so didn't demand my rapt attention:

Cafe Society was dull. There was nothing especially wrong with it except that the plot didn't go anywhere - the intensity of the colour and lighting was a pleasant cinematographic surprise, and the performances were strong (though I can never take Carrell seriously), but the cultural insight and philosophy were too easy in the few places where they weren't cliche. Disappointing especially from Allen, who only really needed to fill up the main structure with some fresh, casual charm to make it a winner.

Blue Jasmine on the other hand was Allen at his best. Ambiguous characters and vivacious cultural intersections elevate a fucking killer performance by Blanchett, and the best part is that none of it required any over-the-top explicitness to drive home. Her Jasmine had all the flaws of Streetcar's Blanche but somehow managed to provoke a sympathy that feels deserved, even on reflection. I haven't yet decided whether the actions of hers we learn about at the end ultimately bury her or redeem her even further.

I'll have to check the latter out as I've heard it's really good.

Did you ever see Match Point? That's a Woody Allen film that I really enjoy.

I'll have to check the latter out as I've heard it's really good.

Did you ever see Match Point? That's a Woody Allen film that I really enjoy.

I have not! Actually looking at his (stupid long) filmography, the only other ones I've seen are Annie Hall and Midnight in Paris. Good to have some guidance as to what to turn to next.

Saw La La Land. Difficult to say much about it because I know I'm missing a lot of context and references, but I felt like there were hits and some misses. The colour palette is beautiful and the Gosling-Stone pairing is always very charming, but I was surprised how little of it was actually executed as a musical. Don't get me wrong - the music was pervasive and lent a ton to each scene, but it just wasn't as outright performative as I expected and none of the songs other than the main theme really stayed with me. I found I couldn't even follow most of the bigger sets lyrically so I wasn't directed or influenced by them the way I should have been.

Midway through Gosling's character makes a kind of turn that seems shockingly improper, which sets up Emma Stone for one of her best scenes, but I had some trouble buying into it. Can you ask for more character development in a musical? It felt like it gave a nod to a depth in each of them, but skipped jauntily over that on the way to the end. And the end was very strange, probably the most worthy of discussion. I haven't figured out how to process it yet.

I wondered if I'd be upset about the Oscar debacle after watching La La Land, but it didn't scream out "Best Picture" to me, so that's a bit of a relief. It certainly wasn't Whiplash. Stone probably deserved her award.

Last edited:
. If you like it, also check out Frankenheimer's The Train: one of the coolest Lancaster joints you'll ever watch. I love those kinds of films: where the action waits for nobody. If I remember correctly @Sigh GunRanger liked that one too.
The Train is fucking awesome, and everyone should watch it. Frankenheimer in the '60s was on an all time great run

Midway through Gosling's character makes a kind of turn that seems shockingly improper, which sets up Emma Stone for one of her best scenes, but I had some trouble buying into it.
Joining and touring with the band?
And the end was very strange, probably the most worthy of discussion. I haven't figured out how to process it yet.
The ending was my favorite part. I discussed it a bit, I think in the official La La Land thread. I'll try to find it.

Here we are. I'm removing the spoiler tags.
I didn't feel like it matched the tone and feel of the first half of the movie. Everything is upbeat, cheery and light, and then it turns on a dime and we ultimately get this downer of an ending. Considering the genre that it is paying homage to especially, it really seemed to me like a fall-in-love-and-live-happily-ever-after kind of ending would've been more appropriate.
It's not a downer ending at all. She's gone on to live her dream and has become a movie star. She has a happy marriage and a kid that she loves. They go into the club and she see's that Gosling has taken her advice and named the club Seb's like she suggested. He's living his dream just like she is. They lock eyes, he starts to play the main theme, and we get that wonderful scene of her fantasizing about the life that could have been, but it's too late for that. It seems like she's going to leave without acknowledging him, but she looks back and they lock eyes again. They are still in love but they both fulfilled their dreams and made happy lives for themselves. They each had a positive influence on the other, and they are at peace with not being together. I think that's totally beautiful. Would it have been a happy ending for her to have left her husband and kid to be with Gosling? That would have been a terrible ending imo.
THought the ending was great too. Really ended on the perfect note in my opinion.

Each of them were responsible for the other one succeeding. Gosling wouldn't have joined the band with John Legend without feeling the pressure- both spoken and unspoken- from Stone . The success of that band was what allowed him to ultimately fulfill his dream, which he would not have been able to do if he had continued on the path he had been. And he outright restored her courage and belief in herself to go on the audition that won her the role that elevated her to stardom. In that scene before she leaves to film the movie, he points out that they have no idea how things will end up but that she has to take the opportunity and go with it. I liked the idea that they made their lives better and that they had achieved their dreams thanks to one another even though they were not with one another. The montage of how things could have been is definitely a hit in the feels moment.
I thought that it was a happy ending for her, but not for him. Yes, he had his club, but it was clear that he was something of a forelorn figure at the end. She had moved on, but he still missed her desperately.

In regard to your question about her leaving her husband, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm talking about is there never being a husband at all, and instead Gosling and Stone finding a way to make things work.

I'm realizing I never did respond to that last point by shadow.

Good point about the audience seeing more evidence of Stone's happy life compared to Gosling's. They each fulfilled their dream, but Stone has a family to go along with it. If Gosling had a lady she would probably have been in the club, so it's safe to assume he's single.

That being said he still achieved his dream, and he shouldn't have any trouble moving on from Stone IMO. He was obviously still into her, but you can have feelings for a past love and still move on to a new love, as evidenced by Stone marrying even though she still looked to have feelings for Gosling.

Last edited:
31988440633_beabdc74d9_o.jpg

Went to see Der müde Tod (The Weary Death), or Destiny as it is titled in English, in the cinema earlier. It was a newly restored print, and it looked incredible. As for the film itself, well it was also really good (embarrassingly I haven't seen M or Metropolis, or any of Lang's films for that matter, but this seems a good place to start). A fable-like plot in which a young woman tries to make a deal with Death (the actor is perfect) in order to bring back her dead lover. There are also sub-plots/stories within the main story set in the middle-east, venice, and in ancient China. Fair bit of awkward racial stereotypes which was a bit cringeworthy lol, could have done with some of those sequences being a bit shorter, but you have to allow for the time in which it was made (1924)...I'm sure audiences then were captivated by some of the sets and special effects. It's a pretty simple story dealing with the concept of romance, death, and fate, very befitting of a fairytale, but it was well told and generally captivating. As with a lot of expressionist films the psychological impact of the First World War is also clearly apparent. Struck me as being in a similar vein to The Phantom Carriage from a few years earlier (in terms of the personification of Death), or even later, The Seventh Seal.

embarrassingly I haven't seen M or Metropolis, or any of Lang's films for that matter
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FBeaker.gif

I didn't see Der mude Tod. Looks good though. The comparisons to The Phantom Carriage and Seventh Seal have piqued my interest.

I have not! Actually looking at his (stupid long) filmography, the only other ones I've seen are Annie Hall and Midnight in Paris. Good to have some guidance as to what to turn to next.

Saw La La Land. Difficult to say much about it because I know I'm missing a lot of context and references, but I felt like there were hits and some misses. The colour palette is beautiful and the Gosling-Stone pairing is always very charming, but I was surprised how little of it was actually executed as a musical. Don't get me wrong - the music was pervasive and lent a ton to each scene, but it just wasn't as outright performative as I expected and none of the songs other than the main theme really stayed with me. I found I couldn't even follow most of the bigger sets lyrically so I wasn't directed or influenced by them the way I should have been.

Midway through Gosling's character makes a kind of turn that seems shockingly improper, which sets up Emma Stone for one of her best scenes, but I had some trouble buying into it. Can you ask for more character development in a musical? It felt like it gave a nod to a depth in each of them, but skipped jauntily over that on the way to the end. And the end was very strange, probably the most worthy of discussion. I haven't figured out how to process it yet.

I wondered if I'd be upset about the Oscar debacle after watching La La Land, but it didn't scream out "Best Picture" to me, so that's a bit of a relief. It certainly wasn't Whiplash. Stone probably deserved her award.

Yeah man. Match Point is NOTHING like Annie Hall or Midnight in Paris lol. I'd wager to say it's different than most of his filmography. However, it's probably somewhere more on the genre spectrum of Crimes and Misdemeanors and Cassandra's Dream (not that I've seen either of those). I think you'll like it. It's a very well-executed movie and has some good actors in there.

As for La La Land, I thought it was awesome. As you said, visually, the look, the colors- really stood out. Pretty epic cinematography too. What I liked in terms of your point about it not being really the type of musical you assumed it would be is that it combined a lot of the sensibilities of the old school musicals my family used to watch like Singin' in the Rain, but also had a lot of modern, non-musical type elements to it.

Really good performances from both Gosling and Stone. I liked both of the characters and I think that Gosling's character didn't really make a turn. You have that pivotal scene where he surprises her with dinner and it degenerates into a pretty uncomfortable fight. That is important there because it really underscores something that was interesting about the narrative. Stone comes to have some degree of bitterness/sadness about Gosling's career even though she outright encouraged him to join up with John Legend and co. because she felt it was the ambitious move. In that scene, you get the sense that not only does she miss seeing him since he's always on the road, but she also feels upset for him because he's not doing something he enjoys to do. However, you do have that internal conflict as well- because he doesn't like what he's doing, didn't like Legend much, and took the gig because he felt it was what Stone, her mother, and society wanted from him.

What I really like about the two characters and the ending of the film- and I'll spoiler tag it just for the hell of it

I thought the element of not having the two together at the end was highly effective. That what if montage was pretty emotionally impacting and it was a great amalgamation of the music throughout the film. What was cool to me was the notion that Gosling and Stone both achieved their dream even though they didn't end up achieving them together. Moreover, each was instrumental in the other one's success. If Stone hadn't influenced Gosling to take the job with the successful band, he wouldn't have saved money to buy his jazz club. If Gosling hadn't gone to Stone's family home and insisted that she go to the audition, she wouldn't have become a successful actress. I guess this is all pretty straightforward, but I thought it was really well done. Between the cinematography, the music, the lead performances, and the overall fusion of old and new sensibilities, I definitely felt this was easily one of the best films I saw in 2016.

Here we are. I'm removing the spoiler tags.

I'm realizing I never did respond to that last point by shadow.

Good point about the audience seeing more evidence of Stone's happy life compared to Gosling's. They each fulfilled their dream, but Stone has a family to go along with it. If Gosling had a lady she would probably have been in the club, so it's safe to assume he's single.

That being said he still achieved his dream, and he shouldn't have any trouble moving on from Stone IMO. He was obviously still into her, but you can have feelings for a past love and still move on to a new love, as evidenced by Stone marrying even though she still looked to have feelings for Gosling.

Shadow raises a great point. But, I'm thinking he didn't seem forlorn, so to speak, until he caught a glimpse of Stone and it of course conjured up thought about their relationship, the feelings he still had for her, and the fantasy of what their life could have been like together if things had just gone a bit differently.

One of the noteworthy things about that whole what could have been montage is that it is ultra happy. Everything goes well for the two of them. Things that really were negative or went to shit in real life go smoothly and then some in the montage. And, if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure one of the things that happens is that when Legend comes to ask him to join up in the imagined scenario, Gosling essentially tells him to take a walk. To me, that means that Gosling is considering that maybe just supporting and being there for Stone would have been better than taking the soulless gig in the band as a means to achieving his own dream. In that moment, that type of thinking would of course be prominent because they've just seen each other again and all those memories come flooding back. But the montage is an imagined scenario, where everything goes right- right down to ill-tempered JK even smiling and dancing at his restaurant. That idealized scenario is terrific, but it's not real life which, for the two main characters, was a lot more complex and involved a lot of difficulties along with the positives.

I think ultimately, the takeaway is that both of them achieved their dreams. Both of them owed a lot to one another. And both will be fine despite not having ended up together.

It's taking every fibre of my being not to ignore the mountain of work on my desk and criticise the ever living shit out of La La Land, having scanned this discussion. God that film annoyed me.

Fuck.

Agreed with @Sigh GunRanger on Frankenheimer - Seven Days in May, The Manchurian Candidate, The Train and Seconds are all badass. He was channeling something special then.

Seconds is probably my favorite of those.

It's taking every fibre of my being not to ignore the mountain of work on my desk and criticise the ever living shit out of La La Land, having scanned this discussion. God that film annoyed me.

Fuck.

Agreed with @Sigh GunRanger on Frankenheimer - Seven Days in May, The Manchurian Candidate, The Train and Seconds are all badass. He was channeling something special then.

Seconds is probably my favorite of those.

lol- definitely interested to hear your opinion on it, Ricky.

Of those, I sadly only saw The Manchurian Candidate. Loved that one though. Great movie.

Don't worry Imma come back at these bros in a bit and I'm recruiting @shadow_priest_x for the task too.

lol- definitely interested to hear your opinion on it, Ricky.

I'd love to man to but it's hard to do it briefly without coming off like I'm stamping my feet. And that will just make me sound contradictory for the sake of being so.

Of those, I sadly only saw The Manchurian Candidate. Loved that one though. Great movie.

First of all, I'm always shocked if I've seen anything you, @europe1 or @Bullitt68 haven't. So give me a moment...

And secondly, duuuuuuuuuuuude.... you need to see Seven Days in May. I think Bull recommended it to me.

Speaking of Kyle, he also recommended this incredible San Francisco thriller called Experiment in Terror. Reminded me of the tone of Seconds and The Manchurian Candidate. Put those on a list for yourself. All great films.

But yeah, do Seven Days in May first. Lancaster and Kirk Douglas bro, Frankenheimer at the helm. Can't go wrong.

Don't worry Imma come back at these bros in a bit and I'm recruiting @shadow_priest_x for the task too.

I have no worries for my safety as long as you are by my side.

I'm down. @Ricky13, La La Land's a great film.

It's a good film on a number of levels. I'm not trying to get into the actual worth of the film. I just don't find Chazelle is very good at making what looks great on screen mean anything on the page. (He had similar issues with Whiplash.)

I'm not thrilled by how the film looks. I like LA more than the other major US cities I've visited. I like how it looks at night. I've been to most of the iconic places in the film. But he does a lot of it all wrong in terms of matching execution to intent. Or maybe he's not concerned with that marriage. He appears to put homage and technique before purpose of scene. Does that make sense?

Have you noticed how he insisted on using Cinemascope when Stone's face looks weird on it? Or how he holds on to shots without cutting for no reason other than it being pretty cool that he did (I actually thought this negatively impacted the first scene)?

Even that can be relegated to the wastebasket of personal preference. It's hard to argue and results in a lot of discussions that boil down to , "But I liked how it looked! Different strokes bro!"

But critically, as a story, it falters, and is why it'll struggle to be "classic". That magic Hollywood feeling that it depends on doesn't last. Does anyone talk about The Artist anymore?

The discussion you guys are having, though I haven't gone through it closely enough, is reflective of it. Musicals demand immersion at a profoundly unconscious level because the maker can't afford to let motivations be left to chance for fear of waking you up from the dream. There's no doubt who loves whom in Singin' in the Rain, and who is happy and who is sad in the end. That clarity is what allows otherwise distracting musicality to seamlessly inhabit the conceit.

We should not be talking about whether the ending is sad, whether Stone's character is happy or Gosling's isn't. But we are because the foundations of those relationships weren't built functionally. The magic of the moment, its form, was lent precedence, over the nuts and bolts of difficult storytelling. Think carefully about why you and @chickenluver are arguing about who is sad and who is happy and you'll find it's because the romance comes out of nowhere.

We can get into that but I've probably fucked up an entire meeting because of typing this much.

I imagine, when it's done right, the correct execution of the conception of a musical romance looks a little bit like this:

Note how it's one take for a reason: she's watching him (her POV throughout, really) and closes in on him from being drawn to him, after which they have the cutest conversation ever that cuts right to his romantic state and her role as someone who helps him remember he's good at this (not in the clip).

Oh and the song is actually great, unlike that drivel Gosling sings in the bar. (Sorry, low blow.)

And there's a whole other conversation to be had about how Chazelle obsessively romanticises being a tragically struggling musician while all around are abandoning their principles (selling out). He does this in Whiplash too. As opposed to embracing how the shit he's trying to talk about - love, life and relationships while trying to make it as a musician - is about the people you share the music making process with. Not your processes as an insular musical douchebag (like Gosling's character in La La Land and that guy in Whiplash with the hysterically punchable face).

Doing the insular musical douchebag thing is hard. Even the genius brothers Coen know that if you're going there, you need to link the individual's tragic state to loss, and guess who they choose that person to be in their study?

The one the insular musical douchebag used to make music with:

This insular artsy guy with "principles" is well-worn territory for the Coens. They've executed the kind of character study Chazelle aims at. The difference: the Coens know that these people exist not because everyone around them sucks.

It's because they're douchebags.

And they punish them spectacularly:

The only reason I could see for someone not liking it is if they just don't like musicals. Any musicals.

Got no issue with musicals.

Got an issue with bad ones though. Heh.

Last edited:
@Caveat: @ufcfan4 has your back with the Matchpoint recommendation. Great film. Is a lot like one of Woody's earlier classics, Crimes and Misdemeanours, which I like ever so slightly more because Martin Landau. Watch that too. Would be an interesting Compare and Contrast.

(embarrassingly I haven't seen M or Metropolis, or any of Lang's films for that matter,
<codychoke>

Death (the actor is perfect)

Yeah, his stony-faced countenance stands out in every scene he's in. It's really good in all those fantasy-episodes, where he's positioned so as to often just stand like a pillar in the background, reminding people grimly of death.

Fair bit of awkward racial stereotypes which was a bit cringeworthy lol

Man you should have seen his earlier work, the proto-Indiana Jones flicks The Spiders (in two parts). The ethnic holabaloo in that film made Destiny seem PC in comparison.:D

but you have to allow for the time in which it was made (1924)

I always found that there was something strangely... quaint (for lack of a better word) about the racial shenanigans in silent pictures. Like... there is often a wildly fantastical yet simultaniously straight-faced nature to them, making them feel almost other-wordly in fact, and also subtly different from all the bullshit that came after.

Oh, and Destiny is from 1921. :p

Struck me as being in a similar vein to The Phantom Carriage from a few years earlier (in terms of the personification of Death), or even later, The Seventh Seal.

Yeah... filmmakers have some serious sympathy for death it seems. All films contain this element about how hard it is to be it's personification.:D

The Train is fucking awesome, and everyone should watch it. Frankenheimer in the '60s was on an all time great run

The Train almost tops my list on films that I should have loved but for some reason didn't. Everything is great on papper, but for some reason I never jived with it.

@Caveat: @ufcfan4 has your back with the Matchpoint recommendation. Great film. Is a lot like one of Woody's earlier classics, Crimes and Misdemeanours, which I like ever so slightly more because Martin Landau. Watch that too. Would be an interesting Compare and Contrast.

@ufcfan4 is good people, I trust his recommendations.

Funny you should choose that specific reference above, because I just watched Inside Llewyn Davis too. Perfect dark humour. Lots of dualities. Would have been the most blatantly Existential film I'd ever seen had I not just watched Synecdoche, New York a few days before.

And now I'm off to contemplate... hopelessness and stuff. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back