Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eden wasn't real in the sense that she didn't show up and immediately start skipping down the Yellow Brick Road. But it was real in the sense that it fueled not just her but several like-minded people and inspired them to come together for a common cause and commit themselves to making something out of nothing.

It's a testament to romanticism and the perfect answer to skeptics and nihilists (like Logan). It's not "real" in the straw man sense of a fantasy land where all hardship and negativity is magically erased from the human experience but it is real in the profoundly human sense of driving us to be the best versions of ourselves.

@Dragonlordxxxxx Ricky? europe? What say you?
My take on Eden is not romantic as yours. Eden was not real but because it became a rendezvous point and all the kids were there, it became real (sort of).

Who's the better "that guy" actor?

Cliff Curtis? Or John Ortiz?

I should start a poll.

(Then again, Caveat can speak more to the psychological aspects of this shit, so if my philosophy-speak is leading me to trample on psychological tenets that contradict my claims, please let me know.)

Lol I'll have you know I was reading that segment very carefully before I even got to this line, hoping I could jump in somewhere.

But actually the separation between cognitive science and the psychology of "lived experience" is a very real issue, as is the artificial distinction between cognition and emotion that's prevailed for some in the research literature.

In my opinion this is why investigators such as myself who become bored with the minutiae of the technical research turn to philosophy and other kinds of art for a different perspective of the bigger picture.

That or they just assume that if their science is right then their politics are also right, as they slowly morph into giant douchebags.

Last edited:

I should start a poll.

Cliff Curtis via can and has played every ethnic group.

Seriously though- both are awesome.

My take on Eden is not romantic as yours. Eden was not real but because it became a rendezvous point and all the kids were there, it became real (sort of).

What I don't get is how this corporation with seemingly bottomless resources was halted by the Canadian border.

@Bullitt68

Your basement business anger was hilarious.

I found the comment very confusing. At first I thought it meant some kind of positional reference, then I figured it had something to do with the fact they were hooking up in the basement. That being said, it's funny how he got called out on them being in her room rather than the basement. I mean, at the end of the day, it could be that basement business is a general term for them having to be wary of the mom's presence and being confined to other rooms hoping she doesn't come in

BUT like having to explain a joke, having to provide an explanation for that with such intricacy is counterproductive.

this is the version of Hurt that should have been in Logan.

Come on, Dragon. Let some romance in :D

The "not real but became real" idea is what interests me. In a way - @Ricky13 and @europe1, you guys can chime in on this one, too - Logan and Eden seemed to echo Fury Road and The Green Place. Except, from what I remember, the fact that The Green Place no longer exists in the latter is experienced as a crushing defeat, whereas the fact that Eden "doesn't exist" in the former isn't crushing at all. Eden may not exist like that, like its comic depiction, but that's not to say it can't exist, and like that, to boot. Logan is the one who's hung up on the fact that it "doesn't exist," whereas the kids know that he's, to reference another movie, "looking at this shit the wrong way."

I should start a poll.

Cliff Curtis 'cause Collateral Damage :cool:

Lol I'll have you know I was reading that segment very carefully before I even got to this line, hoping I could jump in somewhere.

wink-point.gif

Your basement business anger was hilarious.

I always try, even and especially where there's potential feathers to be ruffled, to at least be amusing ;)

So that Weidman/Moose fight. Any thoughts?

I just saw "The Founder" last night (movie about the founding of McDonalds) and it was pretty good. I did some research afterwards and the movie was remarkably accurate. Also, they didn't change anything to make McDonalds look better or anything. The "founder" of McDonalds was kind of a dick who uses people and then stabs them in the back to make money.

On a side note I just wanted to mention my favorite McDonalds items:

Cheeseburger (those little onions are bomb!)
Hash Brown
And of course, the greatest apple pie known to man

I just saw "The Founder" last night (movie about the founding of McDonalds) and it was pretty good. I did some research afterwards and the movie was remarkably accurate. Also, they didn't change anything to make McDonalds look better or anything. The "founder" of McDonalds was kind of a dick who uses people and then stabs them in the back to make money.

On a side note I just wanted to mention my favorite McDonalds items:

Cheeseburger (those little onions are bomb!)
Hash Brown
And of course, the greatest apple pie known to man

I was team Krok up until the end. That was a gut punch. Horrible thing to do.

I really wanted McDonald's afterwards, though.

Hello

Sandy Wexler is available to download. Just wondering if it's worth watching? Adam Sandler film. Not sure if it's a comedy or not. Trailer didn't interest me greatly :/

You lot are fucking useless. Keep watching your shitty Korean films.

Btw Wexler was 5/10.

StraightTime_Reg.jpg

Watched Straight Time last night, a film from the 70s starring Dustin Hoffman as Max Dembo. It's about an ex-con who tries to get straight after serving a 6 year sentence for robbery, but who keeps getting knocked back by circumstances out of his control and eventually turns back to a life of crime. Interesting character study of a repeat offender, questioning whether or not there's something fatalistic in Max's recidivism, or whether he is a product of circumstance. Fairly restrained sort of film and Hoffman puts it an excellent performance as well. I would really recommend it, definitely something of an underrated classic because I had never heard of it until recently.

Interesting character study of a repeat offender, questioning whether or not there's something fatalistic in Max's recidivism, or whether he is a product of circumstance.

Max's closing line is definitively food-for-though. "Because I want to get caught".

But I really thought the movie depict the subtle, everyday discriminations that an ex-con can be subjected to. Like how uncomfortable that scene felt where they're forced to undress and be hosed-down. Or that scene where Max has undergone a drug-test, and the test came back negative yet the officer in charge of the test didn't release Max until a week later because "he was busy".o_O

The fuck does he mean busy!? And all Max can do is to give some underhanded, low-key comments to voice his rage but he can't really scream at the guy because then he'll be sent back to the slammers. His life definitively seems undignified in the real world, outside of prison.

Max seems to yern to get caught. He does stupid things that he should be smart enough to avoid. Like the way he botched the jewelry robbery. I sort of get the idea that even he knew that he was fucking up. So why does he want to get caught? I got the impression that life outside prison was so undignified, alien and unfulfilling. Like, Max knows that things are better on the outside and that there's more freedom. But he can't deal with it. The structures of prison life is familiar to him, he knows it, understands it, he has a place there. So even though he hates prison it's still the thing that he most relates to, the place where he feels he fits in. Everyday on the outside is just filled with so much drudgery, undignity, and things that he feels he has no place in that it all compels him to search his way back to prison.

Hoffman puts it an excellent performance as well

I've always had this odd hate-love relationship with Hoffman, can't stand him in some films (Kramer vs Kramer, Tootsie) and thinks he's awesome in others (Straw Dogs, Papillon). Straight Time is definitely in the later category though. Which is especially impressive since Hoffman doesn't really seem like the hard, gritty type that he portrays.

I'm balls deep in thesis shit (ignore the scatological implications of that locution) but as a placeholder: All of you should watch Elle. I'm 3-for-3 with new movies, having immensely enjoyed Fences, Logan, and now Elle. I think all of you in here would enjoy all three to varying degrees, but Elle will undoubtedly be the most polarizing.

I thought it was fucking awesome. Anyone else see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back