Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rented a copy of the extended edition of Once Upon a Time in America. Anybody seen this yet?

I own that special extended Blu-ray they put out a while back. As one of my absolute favorite movies, even I agree with those people who say the new scenes are superfluous. But superfluous in the sense that they shouldn't have been put in as part of the film. If they would've had them as Deleted Scenes, that'd be one thing, but shoved into the movie the way they are, it's definitely jarring. On top of which, there was only one scene that felt like it actually belonged (a late scene with James Woods) whereas everything else felt like cutting room floor material.

Also, anybody know what's going on with TCM? They seem to be playing all their movies in alphabetical order for the foreseeable future. They were on G last time I looked.

That sounds like very strange programming o_O

What you should really do when you get a chance is check out Doctor Strange.

I mentioned when I was talking about Silence to Ricky that my friend and I were disappointed there was nothing for us to see in theaters. Well, Doctor Strange would've qualified, but I didn't catch-up with all my Marvel viewing until right before I was going to head back to Wales so I didn't have time for it. I was considering it, though, and regardless of the fact that I missed it on the big screen, I'll definitely watch it down the road.

Much like The Avengers (again, as you said, one of the best) I felt it managed to include a bunch of characters in an organic way. Ant Man and Spiderman could have easily seemed shoehorned in and pointless, but they were effectively integrated for that huge, awesome action setpiece.

A bunch of characters? Yes. Organic? Yes. But worth it? No. At least not to me. I didn't/don't need Spiderman in this universe and nobody should need/want Ant Man ever. Although, given how stupid the idea of his character is and how stupidly they've dealt with him, I'd prefer Spiderman to Vision.

Black Panther was legit- really liked the movement and fighting but also thought Boseman added a lot of credibility with his performance.

This I agree with. I liked the character and the actor.

You know I'm not really a fan of Iron Man 3.

I've seen it twice now and I loved it just as much the second time. By far the best Iron Man and one of the strongest Marvel efforts IMO.

Pearce is a quality actor, but that villain did not stand out to me.

I actually don't care for him but I thought he was great and as a villain, as a karmic comeuppance for Tony's arrogance, I thought he worked very well. He was also vicious, but not comic booky vicious. Actually vicious.

Kingsley was squandered. All that build up for a bait and switch gag.

I thought that worked and entirely due to how awesome and hilarious Kingsley was. He was like his character from The Wackness dialed up to 11 (The Wackness is an awesome movie BTW).

The end battle was confusing.

I thought it was pretty inventive with all of his suits flying around and him constantly trying to get in and out of them.

Ending felt muddled too. Doesn't he destroy all the suits. Remove the arc reactor surgically? Essentially make it seem as though he's no longer Iron Man. And yet then in Avengers 2, he's back, no questions asked.

Not arguing with this point. They definitely should've ended it differently.

Thor 2 was a lot of fun to me, but it couldn't live up to the original.

No, but it was real close.

I'm not crazy for thinking Dennings was hilarious in that one am I?

The crazy people are the ones who didn't think she was hilarious.

Sorkin really is at the top of his game still.

giphy.gif

Paterson was great. Liked it more than Jarmusch's last.

I watched Only Lovers Left Alive last night and just wanted to add that I agree with you, I liked Paterson more. Only Lovers Left Alive reminded me of Dead Man. I loved the vibe, I loved the sound, but there wasn't enough meat on the bone to satisfy my love of characterization and plotting.

What do you think of Jarmusch on the whole (this question is open to everybody, BTW)? I haven't seen much from him yet, but so far, Down by Law is easily my favorite of his. I can't - and don't want to - imagine the person who can watch that movie and not like it. Benigni alone makes that impossible IMO.

Well they were basically mooks for the slaughter.

... and have them fight each other. Yeah a whole chunk of the entire genre can be boiled down to that desire.:D
I mean that they went all out with cramming as many stock characters into this one film as possible. The Ax brothers, the Drunken Master, the stoic warrior and his woman, the evil gang, any of these could have had a whole movie surrounding them, yet them threw them all into one. I don't think it was overstuffed though, just packed with more wacky characters than usual.
I think the idea behind this lies in something those old masters at the dojo said. They talked about how Japan only has one style for each of their various disciplines while China has a great multitude of them. The versatility and ingenuity of Chinese martial arts enabled him to win -- since he could tailor-make himself for each situation. He wasn't the best unarmed fighter around -- but the drunken master style was so confusing that the karate guy didn't know what to do. The nunchaku could never win due to the lenght of the three-section staff. And so on.
de58a3140296ceb07def3d18debb5ccb.jpg

Good insight.
I would be a bit more harsh on the movie than you. Yeah with these sort of flicks the demonization of the Japanese can be really outlandish (my favorite is in One-Armed Boxer where the Japanese are literally vampires<45>). Normally they are potrayed as the worst of bullies. But the moralistic slant is really thorough in this film. All the Japanese masters are implicitly okay with underhanded and devious methods to win -- and they are presented as narrow-minded and militaristic, both in their martial arts and their way of life (one mirroing the other). Worst may be the judoka who just crashes Gordon's crib and demands a duel at midnight. Yeah there is this theme of co-existance and respecting ones cultural differences, but with the heavy moral slant that sort of falls by the wayside. I mean, the whole theme is pretty mitigated when you're simultaniously saying "my culture > your culture."
Yeah good point. I guess relative to Japanese having fangs and karate chopping Jimmy Wang's arm off this seemed a bit more grounded.
I actually really liked those early drama scenes. So he marries this beautiful Japanese babe and the very next morning she's casually karate-kicking his entire backyard asunder, acting totally nonchalant about it as well.:D That's just hilarious to me -- and my greatest nightmare at the same time. Their love-hate rivalry from there on was really funny. It's a tad sad that she falls by the wayside once the duels start.
Agreed. I thought it was interesting that the criticism of karate was that it's unladylike and that the movement opened her robe and left her exposed to peepers.
The whole "crab style" hullabaloo was downright eye-rolling, especially when contrasted with the early kinetic stuff like the sword duel or the spear match.
Fucking hell I completely forgot about the crab style. That was terrible. Ruined any chance there was of me taking the ninja seriously.
First off, I'll start with my Marvel marathon. I watched every Marvel movie (that I wanted to) from Iron Man to Civil War in chronological order.
That's funny. I did a MCU marathon recently as well. I mainly wanted to watch Winter Soldier and Civil War, and I'm a stickler for context, so I needed to see everything. The only one I skipped was The Incredible Hulk, since I'd already seen it twice, didn't like it very much, and it's almost irrelevant to the franchise.

My favorites are Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ant-Man, and Civil War
It's a shitty way to put it, but the next person who dies needs to be someone who matters.
Agreed. Thanos is gonna kill Tony Stark. You heard it hear first.
Meh, I'm with europe on this one as far as thinking the reason that failed was because the idea (collateral damage) failed. Her kid was one of what, 11 that died? 11 versus the entire human race? Sorry, lady, but we did our job.
Yeah I didn't like the collateral damage argument either. I guess it was trying to use the idea because collateral damage is relevant to society, but it doesn't really work when your talking about an end of the world scenario.
Continuing with the Steve/Bucky angle, though, I disagree with this, too. I don't think that it's "pure texture." From my perspective, the "remember the old days" stuff is the natural mode of conversation between friends who have been separated for an extended period of time (and I'm saying this having hung out when I was back in Chicago for only the third time in ten years with my best friend growing up). However, I disagree that it feels like the writers were forcing it. Rather, I felt like Steve was forcing it. It felt organic to the character, so lost and out-of-touch with this new world and the new people in it but now with a chance to reach back (in time) and forward (in space) and (re)connect with his best friend. That it's so one-sided (at least initially) works really well. You can feel Steve's desperation. That's not an accident or a mistake. That's characterization. And you know that's my jam. Function is crucial, but characterization is essential.
giphy.gif

You know about the Kubrick connection with this one, right?
I haven't seen One-Eyed Jacks, maybe it's really good. But I can't help but thinking it would have been better if it was directed by Kubrick and written by Peckinpah, rather than directed by Brando and written by a guy I've never heard of.
Bergman was never really hopeless. He'd get down in the dumps, but he was always searching, and that manifested in his films to where, no matter how bleak (like The Seventh Seal or The Virgin Spring), there was always that sense that they were still willing to go forward with (re)new(ed) spirit. I say this with a heavy qualification though as I don't remember Winter Light very well except for the vague sense that it was one of his harshest meditations on religion. Am I recalling that right?
The Silence of God trilogy are some of his bleakest and least hopeful films for sure. Even The Virgin Spring ends on a hopeful note after featuring the most horrific events Bergman has depicted in film (that I've seen)
(Jarmusch is the gf's favorite).
She's a keeper.

I liked the movie a lot. Yeah mailbox scene was very funny. It felt good to see that movie in a theatre with an appreciative audience.

Have you seen Mystery Train? The Japanese man that speaks to Driver at the end of Paterson was also in Mystery Train.
I think it's awesome that you really rank Thor that highly. To me, that stands out as one Marvel movie that is very, very underrated. I feel like a lot of people think it's good, but I think it's one of the best. I wouldn't rank it over Winter Soldier, but it's definitely an upper echelon.
I liked both Thor movies which kind of surprised me since it seemed like the common opinion was that they're the worst of the franchise. I have a hard-on for Hiddleston's Loki so I think that's a big part of my enjoyment of the movies. Him and Hemsworth are good together.
What you should really do when you get a chance is check out Doctor Strange. That one surprised me. I was expecting to like it because I generally enjoy the Marvel movies and I think Cumberbatch, Chiwetel, and Swinton are awesome, but I don't think I anticipated enjoying it as much as I did. Visually, it is one of the more impressive of any of these movies. There was a sense of fun, but there was also weight behind it and I liked the origin story a lot.
I second the Dr Strange recommendation. Main cast is really good, and I'd go as far as to say it's the single most impressive film in the series in terms of the visuals. Origin story was good as well with Strange as this super arrogant skeptic being willing to try anything out of desperation.
Civil War and Winter Soldier are very close in quality from my perspective. I think Winter Soldier is definitely narratively tighter and is, likely, the better overall film, but I thoroughly enjoyed Civil War. Much like The Avengers (again, as you said, one of the best) I felt it managed to include a bunch of characters in an organic way. Ant Man and Spiderman could have easily seemed shoehorned in and pointless, but they were effectively integrated for that huge, awesome action setpiece. Black Panther was legit- really liked the movement and fighting but also thought Boseman added a lot of credibility with his performance.
Agree on all points. Going into the movie I was excited for Spider-Man and Ant-Man, and then so much happened before they were introduced it was almost like a surprise when they showed up. When they opened the van door and Rudd was chilling inside it was a serious hooray moment for me. The scene at the airport is one of the best in the franchise imo, especially the Giant-Man reveal. Spider-Man was used really well in the action pieces, and I liked his interactions with Tony and Cap.

"Where you from kid?"
"Queens"
"Huh. Brooklyn"
Thor 2 was a lot of fun to me, but it couldn't live up to the original. I'm not crazy for thinking Dennings was hilarious in that one am I?
I liked his earth squad in both movies. That seems to be something that many don't like about them. Not too crazy about Portman's Jane. Just seems like kind of a shallow character.
I own that special extended Blu-ray they put out a while back. As one of my absolute favorite movies, even I agree with those people who say the new scenes are superfluous. But superfluous in the sense that they shouldn't have been put in as part of the film. If they would've had them as Deleted Scenes, that'd be one thing, but shoved into the movie the way they are, it's definitely jarring. On top of which, there was only one scene that felt like it actually belonged (a late scene with James Woods) whereas everything else felt like cutting room floor material.
giphy.gif

That sure is disappointing.
That sounds like very strange programming o_O
It's happening as we speak. I swear.
A bunch of characters? Yes. Organic? Yes. But worth it? No. At least not to me. I didn't/don't need Spiderman in this universe and nobody should need/want Ant Man ever. Although, given how stupid the idea of his character is and how stupidly they've dealt with him, I'd prefer Spiderman to Vision.
You're crazy. Having Spider-Man in the MCU was totally needed. The more characters they bring in the better. Fantastic Four are coming soon, just you wait. After Infinity War FF with be introduced to take the place of the scattered/crippled/shell shocked Avengers as the prominent earth-based superhero team, then they will build up to the Galactus story line. You heard it here first.

Such disrespect for Ant-Man. He's a classic hero and a founding member of the Avengers. MCU already screwed Hank Pim out of his role as an Avengers founder and the creator of Ultron, doing the Scott Lang story was the least they could do to make up for such blatant fuckery.

Also don't worry about Vision, Thanos is gonna kill him.
(The Wackness is an awesome movie BTW).
That movie was pretty good.
I thought it was pretty inventive with all of his suits flying around and him constantly trying to get in and out of them.
Yeah I liked that as well. He had all those suits, might as well put them to use.
I watched Only Lovers Left Alive last night and just wanted to add that I agree with you, I liked Paterson more. Only Lovers Left Alive reminded me of Dead Man. I loved the vibe, I loved the sound, but there wasn't enough meat on the bone to satisfy my love of characterization and plotting.
I liked Paterson a lot, but I liked Only Lovers Left Alive more. Hiddleston and Swinton are two of my favorite actors working today, I loved the music, the atmosphere, the settings, the raltionship between the two. It felt like a much more cynical and pessimistic movie than is usual for Jarmusch, with Hiddelston calling the humans zombies, saying "are they still fighting about the oil? No it's about water now."

I got a kick out of him having secretly written the Adagio of Schubert's String Quintet. That piece sounds like something he would have written, very dark and ambient.

It was pretty sad to watch that scene where Anton Yelchin gets killed.
What do you think of Jarmusch on the whole (this question is open to everybody, BTW)? I haven't seen much from him yet, but so far, Down by Law is easily my favorite of his. I can't - and don't want to - imagine the person who can watch that movie and not like it. Benigni alone makes that impossible IMO.
If looks can kill, I am dead now.

A few years back my father and I watched most of his movies. I've now seen everything from him except his first film, Permanent Vacation, and The Limits of Control, the one just before Only Lovers Left Alive.

I really like Down by Law, Dead Man, Ghost Dog, Broken Flowers, Only Lovers Left Alive, and Paterson.

Stranger than Paradise, Mystery Train, Night on Earth, and Coffee and Cigarettes I thought were not as good but still solid.

One of the few directors working today that I am always excited to see a new film from.

Oh yeah, for anybody who's a Wes Anderson fan and also saw Paterson, did you notice the two kids from Moonrise Kingdom on Paterson's bus?

Last edited:
They should have called it Manchester in the Sea.
It was well done but damn, it was a harsh journey of a movie.
So much grief and sadness.

And the love, trust, support and confidence a man had for his younger brother, who he knew would have to shoulder an enormous responsibility.

I keep hearing people say how negative this movie was, and I get it, but I loved the resolutions.

I'm a really big fan.

I strongly recommend Night on Earth. It tells five stories involving a cab driver in each of five different cities around the world.

Here's Rome (Roberto Benigni), funny as hell. You can find all five cities on YouTube.

Other favorites of mine are Broken Flowers, Ghost Dog, Coffee and Cigarettes, and Mystery Train.

Fucking hell I completely forgot about the crab style. That was terrible. Ruined any chance there was of me taking the ninja seriously.

But, on the other hand, it should allow you to appreciate this a lot more :D

That's funny. I did a MCU marathon recently as well [...] My favorites are Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ant-Man, and Civil War

Iron Man was better than I remembered, but RDJ, while undeniably awesome, was the only awesome part IMO. Iron Man 2 had Rourke, which was so much fun for me, but it still felt like they were working out the kinks for the Stark/Iron Man saga. Iron Man 3 is where they kicked shit into high gear.

As for the rest of your favorites: I literally couldn't watch Guardians of the Galaxy and won't watch Ant-Man.

Thanos is gonna kill Tony Stark. You heard it hear first.

giphy.gif

Have you seen Mystery Train? The Japanese man that speaks to Driver at the end of Paterson was also in Mystery Train.

Not yet, but I've been briefed on how often Jarmusch not only makes references in his movies but how often he makes references to his own movies. There's also that scene with the big Indian in Ghost Dog who's played by (and is supposed to be the same character as?) Nobody from Dead Man.

I liked both Thor movies which kind of surprised me since it seemed like the common opinion was that they're the worst of the franchise. I have a hard-on for Hiddleston's Loki so I think that's a big part of my enjoyment of the movies. Him and Hemsworth are good together.

Fuck all Thor haters. Both films are operating on the same level of awesomeness IMO. I think Thor is the better film overall but I think the attack on Asgard in Thor 2 is better than anything from Thor. They've just got that world and the people in it locked down. It sucks Natalie Portman seems no longer to be a part of it, though. I can't imagine that yielding anything positive.

You're crazy.

Me? Crazy? No...

source.gif

Having Spider-Man in the MCU was totally needed. The more characters they bring in the better. Fantastic Four are coming soon, just you wait. After Infinity War FF with be introduced to take the place of the scattered/crippled/shell shocked Avengers as the prominent earth-based superhero team, then they will build up to the Galactus story line. You heard it here first.

As a non-comic guy, the more isn't necessarily the merrier. I don't need Spider-Man (never been a fan of that character even though I loved the old Spider-Man and X-Men Super Nintendo game), nobody should need Ant-Man (one of the dumbest ideas for a superhero ever even though I love Paul Rudd and hate having to hate on him), and I for damn sure don't need the Fantastic Four. They did enough integrating with the Avengers. I don't need every comic book character in the history of comic books sharing the screen.

Such disrespect for Ant-Man. He's a classic hero and a founding member of the Avengers. MCU already screwed Hank Pim out of his role as an Avengers founder and the creator of Ultron, doing the Scott Lang story was the least they could do to make up for such blatant fuckery.

See, this is a comic guy perspective. I'm not a comic guy. So it's not even disrespect. It's simply no respect. I don't care about this shit, I have no stakes beyond what makes for a good movie.

Also don't worry about Vision, Thanos is gonna kill him.

I welcome that.

It felt like a much more cynical and pessimistic movie than is usual for Jarmusch, with Hiddelston calling the humans zombies, saying "are they still fighting about the oil? No it's about water now."

You're right, it wasn't just dark but was also depressing. I'm used to shit like Down by Law, Ghost Dog, and Paterson now, where you can notice some critical aspects but where ultimately it seems like positive shit is being said. Only Lovers Left Alive was pretty bleak.

It was pretty sad to watch that scene where Anton Yelchin gets killed.

If looks can kill, I am dead now.

Sad in the sense that I liked his character, but not sad in any narrative sense, if that makes sense. It wasn't sad like Ricky in Boyz n the Hood sad, for example. Adam was so far down the depression rabbit hole that he barely even registered it, and Eve only registered it insofar as it presented problems for her to deal with.

A few years back my father and I watched most of his movies. I've now seen everything from him except his first film, Permanent Vacation, and The Limits of Control, the one just before Only Lovers Left Alive.

The Limits of Control looks like it could be cool, as it looks like Jarmusch's second take after Ghost Dog on the Le Samouraï/Point Blank style slow burn, meditative crime film.

One of the few directors working today that I am always excited to see a new film from.

For me, it also helps that he's a huge film fan, too. You ever see this? It's worth it for his Scorsese impression alone :D

I strongly recommend Night on Earth. It tells five stories involving a cab driver in each of five different cities around the world.

Here's Rome (Roberto Benigni), funny as hell.

I'm becoming a big Benigni fan on top of it. He was hilarious in Down by Law and Life is Beautiful is one of the most Chaplinian films I've ever seen, which is quite a compliment. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that one just to see him again.

Now having seen Civil War, I stand by what I said. You're right that, if someone tried to watch Civil War without ever having seen The Avengers, The Winter Soldier, or The Avengers 2, they wouldn't "get" it. But I still don't see how that's a flaw. That's the point. It's like starting to watch a show at Season 3 or starting to read a book at Chapter 7. That shit don't fly.

Despite a number of posts I suppose I'm not being clear. Apologies.

It is my contention that the vast majority of current episodic storytelling lacks the ability to compel episode by episode, as opposed to episode to episode. Viewers have been de-trained from wanting a story each week, given how, first DVD box-sets, and later, binge-watching via streaming transformed, and in fact, transcended the former TV landscape. The way to approach TV now is to discuss, perpetually, an ongoing narrative, rather than have a chat about it at work (/water cooler). Discuss. Look for Easter eggs. Fan theories.

This episode to episode thing didn't used to matter so much. What mattered was that you tuned in once a week for a whole story, whether it was serialised or not. I don't think the change is a bad thing in and of itself, but I think we're starting to see some bad writing habits because of it. It's why I'm not sold on the idea that TV shows are a better medium for fleshing out a story because they allow more time for characterization/plot. That's ass-backwards to me. It's important to maintain an overall thread, but the real skill lies in keeping a viewer hooked for that half-hour/hour.

The X-Files: those guys didn't give a shit. Mytharc episodes showed up willy-nilly, because writers were sure of their ability to re-establish stakes, and had faith that viewers didn't care. This often led to some unevenness, but in general, writing was headed in the right direction: tell a story each week. It peaked, probably, with The Sopranos. I often just pick an episode to watch. It relies on understanding who characters are in relation to previous events and other characters, of course, but they're all self-contained stories where cause-and-effect relies on events within the episode to a more profound degree than those outwith.

Does that make sense? Have you noticed that nowadays, it's often the case that the first in a series is the best one? How shows repeatedly have interesting first halves to first seasons before going out with a whimper? How the origin stories of rebooted universes have true moments and clear rooting interests: Star Trek (2007), all the Marvel origin films, for instance?

A good way to explain this is to review how iconic sequels worked. Their creators often had no clue that there would be another film in the franchise. So stories had to be built from the ground up. This forced little adjustments in writing approach that added up to a lot, while maintaining the feel of a larger, continuous saga.

For instance, they tended not to use character history from prior films to set up reveals (like the Bucky one), but to depict extreme emotions that they wanted the audience to expect based on information they had, suspense being used for "moments" more than mystery.

Sarah's horror at seeing Arnie in T2 at the sanitarium works this way as well. And yet its success doesn't hinge on it. The movie lends Sarah a whole arc that we could never have guessed at to start the film, which contributes to our feeling her anguish at the sight of Arnie. Her paranoia, her anger, all lead up to that classic moment of frozen fear. Similar to this is Ripley's indignation at the start of Aliens. Of the current crop, Hannibal worked this way. So did Breaking Bad. The information is on the page. The creators are therefore free to fuck with you to their heart's content, episode after episode.

When they did reveals, there was usually little relation to prior instalments. Vader being Luke's father: it comes out of nowhere because it comes out of nowhere. It is felt because it relies on the arc of the character in the film. Vader curiously being invested in Luke. Luke trying and failing at Jedi training with Yoda. Of course it made people think back to A New Hope, but that only added to the mythology, the nerdy pontificating. It's not why it worked in the moment.

I'm still wary of the "if you have to explain it, you didn't feel it" line (mind/body and what not) but I agree with you here.

Yeah but I'm saying something concrete when I say it. With conventional narrative, function is driven by what the writer thinks will make a viewer feel something. This is simply a fact. And the best guys don't just acknowledge this, they embrace it (definitely watch 21:31 to 22:10):

The better a writer/director is able to make elicited emotion match what they intended their audience to feel, the more skilled he/she is. For example, you get to know a character well, and then they die spectacularly. Build empathy for a character, then fuck with the audience empathy. This is why an action movie is the hardest film to make.

What's happening now is an issue of assumed empathy. With the Marvel movies, I'm watching folks bend over backwards to explain why certain characters are saying/doing something, because writers assume viewers care enough already. With great drama, this isn't needed. You use shorthand that's crisp and efficient for character moments, that explain themselves with the camera:

What you shouldn't have to do is make a viewer explain motivation, or events that are supposed to explain themselves. It's not immersive. I mean things like this:

Not about Fury. Him surviving is fine. He's Fury. He should be able to survive a corporate takeover.

From my perspective, the "remember the old days" stuff is the natural mode of conversation between friends who have been separated for an extended period of time (and I'm saying this having hung out when I was back in Chicago for only the third time in ten years with my best friend growing up). However, I disagree that it feels like the writers were forcing it. Rather, I felt like Steve was forcing it. It felt organic to the character, so lost and out-of-touch with this new world and the new people in it but now with a chance to reach back (in time) and forward (in space) and (re)connect with his best friend. That it's so one-sided (at least initially) works really well. You can feel Steve's desperation.

I've heard these sorts of explanations by friends about Civil War. I don't know mate. It's almost like the writing is just weak enough that it allows fans wiggle room to theorise about "deeper" themes under the surface. Lending weight where there is none.

Fuck deeper themes. I'm at the movies for a superhero action film. Make me cheer and whoop and cry and laugh. I don't want to pontificate to a woman after about how Cap's deep brofeels accurately reflect camaraderie between PTSD soldiers who've seen battle together, so I can get laid. The Russos just aren't good enough to have their cake and eat it too like that. QT/Mann/The Coens/Raimi/McTiernan/Cameron are.

Because what they know is the fun comes first. And that truly felt fun comes with empathy you work your balls off trying to instill.

I thought of it initially with Iron Man 3, which, oddly, you exempt from these criticisms despite, based on what happens with Gwyneth Paltrow, it seeming to fit perfectly. I thought the same thing but even more so in Civil War with Don Cheadle.

Yes, I part with you on needing people to die, as you noted. Good drama doesn't work off a certain category of event occurring. It works from every event occurring as it relates to what we know so far.

I can't remember too much about IM3, but I know he destroys the suits in the end, and that is his way of dealing with the inner conflict the film establishes. He was making too many from experiencing anxiety over his own mortality, and commits in the end to destroying them, because he finally realises he's Tony Stark wearing a suit of armor. Tony Stark the man, with a woman who loves him for who he is.

And it seemed to crescendo quite nicely. The multiple suits action sequence was his coming to terms with how it was never about the suit but him all along, occurring right before the resolution where he destroys them, and is no longer Iron Man.

Again, I'm hazy on the details, but Paltrow dying while he's actually growing, is learning, does nothing but punish him for no narrative reason.

The reason I advocate for his death in Ultron is because his conflict was different. He's turning megalomaniacal, and nobody is noticing except to make a joke now and then. Hell, one of them helps him create Ultron. His death, in that case, would allow the protagonists (the Avengers) to reassess their purpose.

The reason I like Iron Man 3 is its Shane Black-ness. Narratively, it's in a category all by itself. It's really not a Marvel film. It's not safe and it doesn't give a shit what you think. Guardians is another one that's cut from a different kind of cloth.

So that's our Marvel conversation out of the way. Now let's go back to Sorkin:

Yes, let's.

Either I'm way off or you're describing a director surrogate. Isn't the director the one doing the telling?

Yes. But it's why I said something like, "...when the camera isn't doing the job."

The audience surrogate, for me, does the job of the director where he can't do it himself.

I think the difference between the way we're defining it is that you're thinking about it in a textbook sense, and me in a functional sense. Shocking, I know.

Going to cut to the crux of the Sorkin/feminism shit:

The issue is whether Sorkin is pulling that shit out of his ass or if women around him had expressed those/similar sentiments. Sorkin is a diligent researcher, he doesn't talk about shit unless he's done his homework. He's not just some redneck who doesn't like it that his women don't stay home and make him sandwiches anymore. He's an intelligent guy reading the cultural terrain and giving voice to one of the popular sentiments amidst discourses on gender, and doing it in an intelligent and, dramatically, plausible fashion.

For one, research (just a glance at papers around the time) suggests overwhelmingly that women under-report instances of sexual harassment, when definitions for what constitute it under various categories are adjusted for.

Further, the negative effects of harassment are unrelated to how a woman perceives them. From a review looking at this around the same time The West Wing was airing:

Magley et al. (1999) conclude: “These data from three organizations demonstrate that whether or not a woman considers her experience to constitute sexual harassment, she experiences similar negative psychological, work, and health consequences.”

Honestly, this is just well-known stuff. I found tons more and very easily. Saying he's a "diligent researcher" is a little lazy, no? Further, when a writer is propagating a point of view that deviates from the norm (eg. black people are policed more stringently because they have low moral fortitude), I believe a viewer should err on the side of sympathy for the perceived victim, and check the writer's conclusions rather than assume his/her non-expert view is correct. This would make it far less possible for the viewer to contribute to minimising the seriousness of sexual harassment. It happens to be the kinder thing to do to assume women aren't complaining for no reason.

Speaking of which, the whining that Sorkin perceives has its own hypothesis (literally called "the whiner hypothesis"), which has been thoroughly refuted.

Nobody said he had the mentality of a redneck. I don't even think he believes such antiquated notions as women having their place. He is (perhaps was, I don't know), however, hopelessly out of touch for a man writing things at the forefront of progressive thought.

When you say his "last two films," are you saying that as a preface to talking about Silence - as in you liked The Wolf of Wall Street and Hugo better - or are you including Silence - as in you liked Silence and The Wolf of Wall Street better?

I haven't seen Silence, so I can't tell you that you're crazy (I'm thinking it, though), but I can tell you that, while I was back in Chicago for the holidays, my friend and I realized there was literally nothing we wanted to see in theaters. Then we thought of Silence, and neither one of us, both Scorsese guys, had any desire to see it. I just can't get worked up for this movie. It seems like it's going to be a fine addition to the "Why did you bother?" folder alongside shit like The Age of Innocence and Kundun.

I meant Silence and Wolf.

I'm not even a Scorsese guy, and I get worked up to see everything he makes. I like to see someone good at his/her job doing something new, period. All this complaining about sequelitis and shit, and we're not watching legitimate masters trying new things?

I'm no snob and you know it. I revel in the simplest shit. The Iron Giant is my favorite movie. But a Marvel film that feigns depth to kick my wallet's ass, over a genius with true experience, is just fucking blasphemy at this stage.

Hmm. I don't think I'd go so far as to identify "the life you live, it's not about you" as Scorsese's Truth. At least, not on the evidence you've provided here. I agree that his movies deal with people who either do the wrong thing(s) for the right reason(s) (Mean Streets and Taxi Driver just for two choice examples) or the wrong thing(s) for the wrong reason(s) (Raging Bull and Goodfellas just for two choice examples) but I don't see an altruistic message in his work. Mean Streets, as the "start" of his career, all but zeroes in on the path of the individual. His is absolutely a moral cinema, but in the sense of trying and failing - or never trying - to live a "good" life and in the process highlighting/questioning what "good" means in different time periods, places, contexts, etc.

That said, I'd love it if you provided a more detailed explanation of why you see altruism as Scorsese's Truth.

There were two posts I made in relation to this. You seen both, or just the one you quoted? Go ahead and multiquote the shit out of them so we can crack this open. It's hard to start without being argued with. LOL.

And thanks for bothering with the Marvel stuff. You're one of the few that chases after me down the rabbit hole.

EDIT: Fuck. @Caveat: Imma get to you on Manchester by the Sea soon.

Last edited:
Ok, SMD. This is the longest I've ever gone without posting in here, and for that, I apologize

Hey sweet Bullitt is back! I missed you buddy! It's been far to long since you last posted here. I hope you never leave. :D

I can now officially state that my favorite Marvel movies are, in order, Thor,

Jesus Christ why the hell are you even on here!? Do you have to assult us with these wrong opinions!? I hope you bury yourself in some closet and never come back!:mad:

From my perspective, the "remember the old days" stuff is the natural mode of conversation between friends who have been separated for an extended period of time (and I'm saying this having hung out when I was back in Chicago for only the third time in ten years with my best friend growing up).

My old friends converse in a similar manner too (but for the life of me I've never been able to become fondly nostalgic over such talk. But that's probably just me). So I agree that it's "natural", but I still found it plainly done. We have no idea who that dame they're talking about is. It's like hearing two people have a heartfelt conversation but you have no idea or context of what they're talking about so you can't dive in yourself. I think the emotion could have been communicated through something a lot more minimalistic, something visual, a look or something like that.

You know about the Kubrick connection with this one, right?

I know about the Kubrick Confusion, if that's what you're asking.:D

But yeah, all those stories sound downright bizarre. All those people gathered around Brando as if he was holding court -- all while he meditates and occasionally strikes the gong. Sam Peckinpah was another one of those guys that supposidly lost years to that vortex.

This I agree with. I liked the character and the actor.

I liked the actor. He seemed to have this pained, introverted face. It felt quite natural. Can't say I had any strong feelings for the character though. He was easily overshadowed by the rest.

Well, if you're interested in cementing its status, its stiffest competition would come from the likes of Little Caesar, The Public Enemy, Scarface, 'G' Men, Bullets or Ballots, Angels with Dirty Faces, and The Roaring Twenties. Those are the heavy hitters from the '30s.

I've only seen 4 of those films. Angels with Dirty Faces I loved but need to re-watch to properly judge. One of the first old films I saw. Public Enemy is up there. It's difficult to compare the two since Enemy is much more uneven, all that "mommy moralizing" is pretty bad. But it's highpoints are downright spectacular. Truly iconic moments.

giphy.gif

tumblr_od6bzz0kne1qazanuo1_500.gif

And who could forget this moment?

the-simpsons-public-enemy-parody.gif

G-Men and The Roaring Twenties are both very good but Marked Woman topples them both.

Hahaha. That was fucking hilarious. Mean Streets is such a good film.

Agreed. I thought it was interesting that the criticism of karate was that it's unladylike and that the movement opened her robe and left her exposed to peepers.

Yeah. That was interesting... and such unmitigated bullshit at the same time. Gordon Liu must have been frothing with rage when The Leg Fighters was released the very next year.:D

leg6.jpg

L9oQv_s-200x150.gif

and won't watch Ant-Man.

When I sat down and watched Ant-Man, I told myself that this was going to be the most stupid Marvel film yet... and it was but it was also the best one outside Winter Soldier. And Paul Rudd is easily one of the most likable actor of the entire Marvel roster.

Fuck all Thor haters

58042592.jpg

Dead Man. I loved the vibe, I loved the sound, but there wasn't enough meat on the bone to satisfy my love of characterization and plotting.

I loved the vibe. I loved the sound. But what really made it for me was the theme.

Nobody thinks that Johnny Deep is the poet William Blake, on account of them sharing the same name. Deep has never heard of William Blake the poet, and has no idea of what Nobody is talking about. They stay in this state of confusion for the entire film.

Nobody even states "It's so strange that you would forget your own writting". And when Nobody "buries" Deep in the end, he tells him, "you're going home, William Blake", to which Deep replies, "Where? To Cleveland?" :D

Deep has no idea that he's getting buried, that he's about to die. Nobody simultaneously has no idea that it's not the actual William Blake he's burying.

The entire film is filled with these snippets like these on how strange cross-cultural communications can be. Nobody constantly asks if the white people he encounters (including Deep) has tobacco. They interpret this as some indulgent indian asking for a smoke. However, tobacco was in fact considered sort-of-a sacrement in Native American religion. They think that he's asking them for a vice. When in fact he's asking them for something sacred.

Likewise, Nobody goes around quoting the poetry of William Blake. Yet not a single one of the white characters in the film has any idea of what he is speaks about. Even Johnny Deep -- who is an educated man -- even has a passing familiarity with Blake's poetry. Nobody is literally communicating to them with the highest poetry in the English culture. Yet they interpret this as "indian babble". The fact that he is educated in the finest writting of their own culture completely goes over their heads, and they just assume that it's tribal crazy-talk.

Jarmusch overall has this truly fascinating view on culture. He's interested in how culture crosses ethnic boundaries, how information comming from one culture is filtered through one's own culture, and how people of different cultures interact with one another. This same phenomenon in there in Ghost Dog too (another splendid film). Just like Nobody is an Indian who spend his formative period submerged in the writing of William Blake -- Forest Whitaker is an African-American who has adopted the culture of the Samurai. Just like Nobody, there are a ton of moments between him and others that are misinterpreted along cultural lines.

My favorite part though is probably when those Italian Mafia-bosses are discussing how weird Black and Indian names sound... Ghost Dog, Ice Cube, Method Man as well as titles like Red Cloud, Crazy Horse and Black Elk. Really odd names, right? I thought so too. And then in the end they call for Sammy the Snake, Joe Rags and Big Andy! Shit had me hurting my belly in laughter<45>

Johnny Deep? Is that the name he used when he made porn early in his career?

Johnny Deep? Is that the name he used when he made porn early in his career?

With my dyslexia it took like a minute to figure out what you were jabbering about.... but then I had to admit it's pretty funny:D

Watched Once Were Warriors last night, wow...pretty generic plot, a bit melodramatic, but the performances are so intense that it really hits you hard. Brutal look at domestic violence, poverty, alcoholism etc. The Auckland setting really makes it as well, interesting contrast between maori tradition and modern urban life.

@Ricky13 @Caveat @europe1 @ufcfan4 @chickenluver

You guys seem to be up on the new shit. How come nobody around here is talking about Fences? I saw it with the gf yesterday and it was FUCKING FANTASTIC. Note the caps. Denzel turned in his Raging Bull. By that, I don't mean he bumped De Niro's La Motta off the screen acting throne. I just mean that he hit his career-defining high. Training Day ain't got shit on Fences. And the fact that Denzel directed himself to boot just makes it all the more impressive.

Right from the start, I knew I'd like it. The laid back vibe, the extensive dialogue, the old school look of it all. From the opening shot, the film clicked. Now, that's not to say the script is airtight. It bugged me towards the end how many false endings there were (four or five times, I thought to myself, "Is it over?"). And there's a huge narrative turn that, in a sense, comes out of nowhere. But even the stuff that doesn't work perfectly, it still works, and it works well. And, at the end of the day, the film lives and dies with its characters, and I loved every single character.

I also have to say that, while I've never been particularly enamored by her, Denzel wasn't the only one rocking the shit in this one, as Viola Davis more than held her own. I doubt they'll give Denzel another Oscar (even though I can't imagine anyone turning in better acting this year) but I'd be absolutely shocked if she doesn't add the Oscar to her list of wins for her work here.

And Mykelti Williamson was a surprise for me. I didn't even know he was in it but he showed up and was great as Denzel's fucked up brother. His scene at the end got the whole theater going.

But seriously, this is the motherfucking Denzel show. In a lot of ways, Fences is a more complex and nuanced version of This Boy's Life. Denzel, like De Niro, is a faded "never was" who takes out his frustrations on his kids. However, in Fences, it isn't a black-and-white "he's an evil psycho" thing. Denzel is a faded "never was" who takes out his frustrations on his kids but who's trying to do right by them. He's not a sadist, but he does have the Devil in him, to use the film's parlance. On the script level, I felt like, thematically, it tried to do too much, but as a meditation on (the difficulty/impossibility of) change, it's nothing less than masterful. There's a scene with Denzel and his buddy in a bar late in the film and that's hands down my favorite scene in the film. All the way through, there's this fascinating - and, ultimately, tragic - element of Denzel bitching about the way the world is while failing to realize that he's oriented towards a world that was, a world that has changed and a world that, frankly, he doesn't know how to be a part of.

If you haven't seen this one yet for whatever reason, change that. Don't let the guy who sees a max of three new movies a year be the only one in here to see what'll likely end up being one of the best films, if not the best film, of the year.

And then, because a Bullitt visit to the theater is never complete without some bullshit, I had to sit in front of almost an entire row full of an Asian family that consisted of two idiot parents and five kids none of whom were older than 8 tops. One little fucker was kicking the back of my chair, but not consistently to where I could've turned around and said something, just enough to piss me off and with perfect timing to where he'd give me a few swift whacks right when I'd smile at something or be deep in thought about a scene. And, as if that's not bad enough, the littlest girl never shut the fuck up. Never. She was talking and singing constantly, with a nice overlay of the mom uselessly shushing her. The gf was trying to calm me down - which only pissed me off more since it meant she was focusing on calming me down instead of watching the movie - but once the little girl started crying and screaming - and yes, I mean screaming - I turned around and asked/told the dad to maybe/definitely take her out so the rest of the theater could watch the movie in peace. He did and, surprisingly, the movie ended up being better without a little girl on the soundtrack.

Then, as we were leaving, the gf asked if I felt guilty for chasing the guy out of the theater. Literally as she said that, we exited the theater to the sound of the little girl crying in the lobby. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it at any point, but I had to fight an evil smile walking through the lobby and seeing the dad failing to shut the kid up and then being told my the gf that he was staring at me as we walked past.

<Fedor23>

I'm totally not up on the new shit (although I did see more new movies last year than possibly any other year of my life) but thanks for the tag, Fences looks really good. I generally like filmed plays. An acting and writing showcase is enough for me.

Right from the start, I knew I'd like it. The laid back vibe, the extensive dialogue, the old school look of it all. From the opening shot, the film clicked. Now, that's not to say the script is airtight. It bugged me towards the end how many false endings there were (four or five times, I thought to myself, "Is it over?"). And there's a huge narrative turn that, in a sense, comes out of nowhere. But even the stuff that doesn't work perfectly, it still works, and it works well. And, at the end of the day, the film lives and dies with its characters, and I loved every single character.

Saw it on Christmas day with my brother. I read the play back in college in a literature course so I was looking forward to it based on my knowing the source material was great in addition to being a Denzel fan. Yep. Definitely knocked it out of the park.

Everybody delivered. I especially liked the early portions of the movie- the monologue where Denzel is talking about death and how he fought with the devil for three days when he was ill and on the brink of dying. Textbook great acting. Also loved the interplay between Troy and his brother and Troy and his older son- the scene where he berates him for borrowing money and is like, "your mother sure did a great job raising you," prompting Lyons to fire right back with anger and bitterness about that statement was phenomenal.

Great performance from Viola Davis. Lock to win the academy award. She was terrific. Also really liked both the young actor who played the younger son and the fellow sanitation worker who is the close friend. Good to see Mykelti, too. Hadn't seen him in a film for a long time. Very credible.

But seriously, this is the motherfucking Denzel show. In a lot of ways, Fences is a more complex and nuanced version of This Boy's Life. Denzel, like De Niro, is a faded "never was" who takes out his frustrations on his kids. However, in Fences, it isn't a black-and-white "he's an evil psycho" thing. Denzel is a faded "never was" who takes out his frustrations on his kids but who's trying to do right by them.

Hit the nail on the head there. What's great about Troy as a character, what makes him so deep, is that there are elements that you have to dislike. He hurts a lot of the people close to him. And, I think, most viewers would agree that he limits Cory's opportunities and makes his life more difficult than it should be. But, he is also hard working and very committed to the sense of responsibility he has for his family. That whole, "what law is there that I have to like you," scene is great for many reasons, but one of them is the fact that it really encapsulates his whole mentality in just a few minutes of a scene. Troy is not the kindest person and has a lot of flaws, but he is absolutely steadfast in doing what he believes he needs to do as a father and a provider. You have to respect that.

And then, because a Bullitt visit to the theater is never complete without some bullshit, I had to sit in front of almost an entire row full of an Asian family that consisted of two idiot parents and five kids none of whom were older than 8 tops. One little fucker was kicking the back of my chair, but not consistently to where I could've turned around and said something, just enough to piss me off and with perfect timing to where he'd give me a few swift whacks right when I'd smile at something or be deep in thought about a scene. And, as if that's not bad enough, the littlest girl never shut the fuck up. Never. She was talking and singing constantly, with a nice overlay of the mom uselessly shushing her. The gf was trying to calm me down - which only pissed me off more since it meant she was focusing on calming me down instead of watching the movie - but once the little girl started crying and screaming - and yes, I mean screaming - I turned around and asked/told the dad to maybe/definitely take her out so the rest of the theater could watch the movie in peace. He did and, surprisingly, the movie ended up being better without a little girl on the soundtrack.

Then, as we were leaving, the gf asked if I felt guilty for chasing the guy out of the theater. Literally as she said that, we exited the theater to the sound of the little girl crying in the lobby. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it at any point, but I had to fight an evil smile walking through the lobby and seeing the dad failing to shut the kid up and then being told my the gf that he was staring at me as we walked past.

<Fedor23>

No guilt whatsoever. If anything, I can picture the situation of you kindly asking the guy to leave and him sensibly realizing it was the right thing to do.

A few brief anecdotes just for the hell of it...

when I saw the movie Sphere back in 1998, this guy thought it might be a good idea to bring his months-old baby to the film. The baby cried and cried for a long stretch. Eventually some dude from the other side of the theater yelled out, "WOULD YOU JUST TAKE THE BABY OUTSIDE!" with pure anger/rage. Guy was out of there real quick after that. It was very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it didn't improve the movie experience much, since Sphere, unlike the book, sucked.

and back in 09 when my friends and I saw Watchmen, there was a couple in front of us who opted to bring their, couldn't-be-more-than-5-year-old-son there. This poor kid has to watch JDM get the absolute piss beaten out of him from the opening scene of the movie, but he somehow manages to get through the thing up until when we have the Rorschach flashback scene with the dogs. At that point, the kid just melts fucking down, as well he should, crying like crazy...the dad quickly whisked him out of the theater, never to return. The mom stayed and finished the movie. lol.

and one more- just because it's funny...I saw Winter Soldier for a second time at a late afternoon showing back in 2014 with my brother and my cousin. In the last few minutes, when Fury and Cap talk at the cemetery, a group of teens started talking at normal volume as though the film had already ended. They were about two rows ahead of us. About three rows behind us was a dad with his two young sons. He goes to the one teen who was talking in the moment, "Hey chump, there's a movie on." The kid stopped talking, but he and his crew were mean mugging the guy Nate Diaz style for the remaining few minutes of the film. To his credit, the dad seemingly couldn't have given a shit less and just watched the film without having to listen to them. I almost laughed aloud at the guy's use of the term, chump.

Last edited:
I'm totally not up on the new shit

Huh. I don't know why I associated you with all the new movie people.

but thanks for the tag

giphy.gif

I read the play back in college in a literature course

I literally knew nothing about it going in other than the fact that Denzel and Viola Davis were the stars and Denzel directed it. I'd never heard of the play and didn't know the movie was based on a play.

I especially liked the early portions of the movie

My shorthand: Any scene in the backyard is a good scene :cool:

Also loved the interplay between Troy and his brother and Troy and his older son- the scene where he berates him for borrowing money and is like, "your mother sure did a great job raising you," prompting Lyons to fire right back with anger and bitterness about that statement was phenomenal.

And then the inverse when he gives him shit for trying to pay him back. Nothing is ever good enough.

"You see how they do me, Bono?"

Good to see Mykelti, too. Hadn't seen him in a film for a long time. Very credible.

I looked him up afterwards. He's still extremely active, particularly on TV. He just hasn't been in any of the shit I watch.

Hit the nail on the head there. What's great about Troy as a character, what makes him so deep, is that there are elements that you have to dislike [...] But, he is also hard working and very committed to the sense of responsibility he has for his family [...] Troy is not the kindest person and has a lot of flaws, but he is absolutely steadfast in doing what he believes he needs to do as a father and a provider. You have to respect that.

Off the top of my head, that might be the best, richest, and most sympathetic characterization of a hypocrite I've ever seen. I felt very ambivalent about him, which, obviously, was the point. There's honor and nobility, but he goes back on himself, he tries to live with contradictions, and his hypocrisy bites him in the ass, as it always does.

Believe it or not, the fact that I was in the theater with the gf for the first time, the thought ran through my mind about potentially getting into something (not because I'm antagonistic or anything, I just literally always have to deal with some kind of bullshit whenever I go to the movies) and 6:25 is what went through my head:

Thankfully, I didn't have to ask anybody if they wanted me to take them outside and show them what it's like, but believe me, I did a lot of half-turns and full turns with eye rolls :D

No guilt whatsoever. If anything, I can picture the situation of you kindly asking the guy to leave and him sensibly realizing it was the right thing to do.

It wasn't that smooth (I couldn't keep the frustration out of my voice) but it was as smooth as it could've been given the situation and the fact that everyone else in the theater was visibly agitated.

A few brief anecdotes just for the hell of it...

Misery loves company ;)

Eventually some dude from the other side of the theater yelled out, "WOULD YOU JUST TAKE THE BABY OUTSIDE!" with pure anger/rage.

All of my energy went into not doing that.

and back in 09 when my friends and I saw Watchmen, there was a couple in front of us who opted to bring their, couldn't-be-more-than-5-year-old-son there. This poor kid has to watch JDM get the absolute piss beaten out of him from the opening scene of the movie, but he somehow manages to get through the thing up until when we have the Rorschach flashback scene with the dogs. At that point, the kid just melts fucking down, as well he should, crying like crazy...the dad quickly whisked him out of the theater, never to return. The mom stayed and finished the movie. lol.

There should be a non-negotiable "Over 5" rule regardless of the film, rating, etc. You're not at home, the theater isn't your fucking living room. We shouldn't have to be subjected to your obnoxious kids and your pathetic parenting efforts. That's not to say there aren't parents who raise well-behaved little kids, but they're the exception. Not to mention they're also the people who know better than to take little kids to shit like Watchmen or Fences in the first place :rolleyes:

I almost laughed aloud at the guy's use of the term, chump.

giphy.gif

My Opinion on Only Lovers left alive is pretty much the same as yours.
Limits of Control
falls pretty much into the same category
And i just love Murray's especially dry Humor in Broken Flowers.

Ghost Dog is his best imo.Combining the Hood + Le Samourai is just epic.
It might also be his funniest.

Has anybody of you ever seen Lawman with Burt Lancaster?
I saw it on TV a few weeks ago.I expected a typical straightforward Western, but then i got a really good Neo Western with a great Performance by Lancaster.
At first i was surprised how fleshed out the "bad guys" were and the Ending surprised me even more.
Not your Grandpa's Western

fist fight 8/10

i lold quite a bit, and i rarely do

its weird cuz movies with ice cube in em always suck
he sucked in this, but it was a funny movie still

You guys seem to be up on the new shit.

You seen Manchester by the Sea?

Straight up your alley, I think, and I can't say that I'm otherwise a good predictor with you. Just feel good about this one. That goes for @Flemmy Stardust as well. You love-struck dweebs need to see that one with the ladies.

Sorry about your shitty theater experience. I had a terrible one last night at The Lego Batman Movie (which was great, though I favour The Lego Movie slightly). Fucking kids bro. Every single time at an animation film they ruin it for me. I try to accept it as part of the experience now though.

Not seen Fences yet. I've missed out on a few this year. That and Hacksaw Ridge are on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back