Serious Movie Discussion XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like he owes everything to me.

When i was tallying the Top 25 the first time, i rejected the initial algorithm for tallying it up. That gave him the opportunity to independently use the initial algorithm (and also my master list of top 25s) to make a separate list for comparison.

He was then inspired to do the all-Mayberry version. And then he went on to do the MNN threads.

You're welcome bro.

yeah he's too mainstream for us now, in the big-leagues, making his own threads and shit, now he doesn't even drop in anymore.

Had a little '80s marathon last night. I watched Cutting Class, Secret Admirer, and Vision Quest just for the hell of it. Cutting Class is a terrible fucking movie but it's so much fun to watch. Secret Admirer is one of the most ingenious romantic comedies ever and it's even more fun to watch. And Vision Quest is just one of the greatest things ever.

I think, when it comes to sports movies, the continuum is bracketed by Raging Bull and Vision Quest. The former is dark as fuck, sad, tragic, and uninspiring. The latter is bright as fuck, optimistic, upbeat, and inspiring. The rise-and-fall of the sports movie continuum. Not saying there aren't other awesome sports movies in between, but those two are the alpha and omega.

I have an idea for a TV show, where instead of killing off the main character's friend, he takes a bunch of acid that completely fucks him up and causes him to lose his mind. He stays at home, lost in a trip, and he's never on the show again.

Until one day the main character is out about town and sees his friend that he thought he'd lost in an acid trip, acting completely normal. Turns out the guy faked it because he didn't want to hang out with that crowd anymore.

It's based on you.

I think, between the initial departure and the ultimate return, there should be a scene where a minor character spots him and follows him into a subway (that character would then be the one who tells the main character about spotting him, and the main character would then track him down) only he notices he's being followed, and so as not to be discovered, he flips out to maintain his crazy act. It'd look something like this:

Can't believe I watched that crazy ass movie, @aquamanpunch. When I was home for the holidays, a friend of mine was over and we watched Conor starch Aldo, and afterwards, I was flipping through the channels and saw Possession on Turner Classic Movies. We watched it until it ended and like every 30 seconds my friend just had to keep asking, "What the fuck is this movie?" I'd already seen it and I still couldn't answer :D

Maybe @JSN will stop by tomorrow.

The only reason I watched any Tarkovsky movies was to shut that artsy fartsy lunatic up about him being better than Kubrick.

Yeah, i dont know if Aqua is back yet. Come back Aqua!

Just every time any of us posts from now on, do an @ so he ends up with hundreds of notifications.

Bullitt and TGF are like our estranged parents. They haven't spoken in years.

giphy.gif

It used to be if you weren't here for a day you had to go back like 12 pages to catch up.

The mega post was born of necessity. I'd go to school one day, have two busy workdays after, and then my first day off was spent catching up.

yeah he's too mainstream for us now, in the big-leagues, making his own threads and shit, now he doesn't even drop in anymore.

He's like that guy that comes back wearing a suit with slicked back hair and the whole time he's here he's taking important phone calls with other people.

I think, when it comes to sports movies, the continuum is bracketed by Raging Bull and Vision Quest. The former is dark as fuck, sad, tragic, and uninspiring. The latter is bright as fuck, optimistic, upbeat, and inspiring. The rise-and-fall of the sports movie continuum. Not saying there aren't other awesome sports movies in between, but those two are the alpha and omega.

you have to watch Friday Night Lights (movie) man.

I somehow think you'll like it, based on i don't even know, but I'm also really interested in what you would think of it more than any other movie.

The only reason I watched any Tarkovsky movies was to shut that artsy fartsy lunatic up about him being better than Kubrick.

Oddly, that artsy fartsy lunatic is one of my all time favorite sherdoggers.

Just every time any of us posts from now on, do an @ so he ends up with hundreds of notifications.

@aquamanpunch

The mega post was born of necessity. I'd go to school one day, have two busy workdays after, and then my first day off was spent catching up.

It was almost like a chat room. By the time you worked out a post and sent it, there'd already be new things to respond to. If we had notifications back then it'd have been nuts.

On a sadder note, i think you should edit something permanently the OP to honor Hunterscreed.

@aquamanpunch

He's like that guy that comes back wearing a suit with slicked back hair and the whole time he's here he's taking important phone calls with other people.

tumblr_m6twhaxDOF1rw8p1ao1_500.jpg

I somehow think you'll like it, based on i don't even know, but I'm also really interested in what you would think of it more than any other movie.

I have 9 more student papers to grade (and I'm posting in here instead of starting that :oops:) and then tonight I'll fire that up. It was never really on my radar. I've never come across it on TV, it's never come up in conversation with friends of mine. For whatever reason, it never entered my sphere. I'll watch it on your word, though.

Oddly, that artsy fartsy lunatic is one of my all time favorite sherdoggers.

He was a lot of fun, I'll give him that. I tried so fucking hard to keep him from getting banned. I think he might have the record for most dubs prior to the hammer. He was given every possible last chance, including me doing the equivalent of physically removing his head from the chopping block and begging the axeman to give him one more chance. And he still went and fucked it up. He was incorrigible. It was part of his charm, but it also led to his demise.

Nza56QP.jpg

If we had notifications back then it'd have been nuts.

giphy.gif

On a sadder note, i think you should edit something permanently the OP to honor Hunterscreed.

Done.

He was a lot of fun, I'll give him that. I tried so fucking hard to keep him from getting banned. I think he might have the record for most dubs prior to the hammer. He was given every possible last chance, including me doing the equivalent of physically removing his head from the chopping block and begging the axeman to give him one more chance. And he still went and fucked it up. He was incorrigible. It was part of his charm, but it also led to his demise.

Nza56QP.jpg

He's unbanned from the big forum change, i think. I briefly chatted with him one day after he blew my mind by posting in a thread.

@aquamanpunch

He's unbanned from the big forum change, i think. I briefly chatted with him one day after he blew my mind by posting in a thread.

@aquamanpunch

The forum change was like Bane opening up Blackgate. I don't know what kind of glitch randomly unbans people, but yeah, a bunch of banned posters started popping up and zombie posting. I didn't see him, though. I checked his account and it doesn't say he's banned but he's got the banned-level of infraction points. His account might not work if the admins locked down the glitch. Otherwise, with the people in here talking about Tarkovsky, I don't see how he could've stayed away :D

@aquamanpunch

And Vision Quest is just one of the greatest things ever.
Amen, brother. This movie was pretty much my high school years. Hearing any track from the soundtrack still gets me revved up something fierce.

Sounds like my kinda lunatic.

Never seen or heard of Vision Quest -- now I have to find a copy somewhere to watch!

Never seen or heard of Vision Quest -- now I have to find a copy somewhere to watch!

Dan Henderson used it's theme as his walk-out music. It's kind of a cult-classic in wrestling circles. Give it a watch -- it's really good!

and saw Possession on Turner Classic Movies. We watched it until it ended and like every 30 seconds my friend just had to keep asking, "What the fuck is this movie?" I'd already seen it and I still couldn't answer :D

Lol. Possession is goddamn awesome (and quite hilarious too). It's almost like an artsy take on a David Cronenberg flick. It kind of has that same quality that The Shinning and Cat People has, in that it can lead you down complete strange and delirious corridors but no matter how outlandish it gets you're still with it 100%. Absolutely one of those movies that turns it's idiosyncratic style into an treat of its own.

Geez not even I would have gotten behind that statement.:D

Something tells me that for Bullit : Individual Sports > Team Sports

I've never seen Vision Quest, either. I love Lunatic Fringe, though. One of my favorite songs.

HuntersCreed's passing is news to me. That sucks so hard. If we had a SMD Hall of Fame, those guys would be the inaugural members.

@aquamanpunch

I'm in that weird intermediary spot where I'm not tired enough to go to sleep but I'm too tired to focus on a movie. I'm probably just going to watch a disc's worth of Friends and then watch Friday Night Lights tomorrow.

Amen, brother. This movie was pretty much my high school years. Hearing any track from the soundtrack still gets me revved up something fierce.

I didn't discover that movie until relatively late (years after high school for me). I saw it on HBO, saw Matthew Modine's name and a plot about a wrestler, and that was enough for me to set the DVR. And it stayed in the DVR until I bought the DVD. And I watched it a million times. It's one of the most inspiring movies I've ever seen. So many fantastic individual scenes, but even beyond the wrestling awesomeness, it's just got a ton of heart. Modine plays that role so brilliantly, I think he's even better in Vision Quest than he is in Full Metal Jacket (and I read that Kubrick saw Modine in Vision Quest before casting him, and the thought of Kubrick watching Vision Quest brings the biggest fucking smile to my face :D). Plus, that script is so damn good (adapted from a book I've never read).

"The girl of my dreams lives under my own roof, but she thinks I'm just a kid, a dumb jock, all of which is more or less true. I'm dying, Mr. Tanneran, just like that girl in the poem. Only quicker. And with a hard-on."

Sounds like my kinda lunatic.

You two would've been the arthouse Bash Brothers.

All about individual greatness and the power of the will to inspire yourself and, in so doing, inspiring others. In other words: My kind of movie :cool:

It's also got Private Joker from Full Metal Jacket, Cohagen from Total Recall, the hot doctor from Men in Black, young Forest Whitaker, a Madonna cameo, and arguably the best soundtrack in all of '80s cinema.

It's a can't miss.

Dan Henderson used it's theme as his walk-out music.

How have I never seen that? I'm trying to remember the last time I actually saw a Hendo walkout. Did he do it for a specific fight or fights or does he always do it?

It's kind of a cult-classic in wrestling circles.

No, it's the GOAT in wrestling circles and a cult classic in all other circles.

Lol. Possession is goddamn awesome (and quite hilarious too). It's almost like an artsy take on a David Cronenberg flick. It kind of has that same quality that The Shinning and Cat People has, in that it can lead you down complete strange and delirious corridors but no matter how outlandish it gets you're still with it 100%. Absolutely one of those movies that turns it's idiosyncratic style into an treat of its own.

I wouldn't say any of this, but then this is why I've always felt that, if JSN is HenryFlower's long lost arthouse Bash Brother, @aquamanpunch is your long lost B-movie Bash Brother.

Something tells me that for Bullit : Individual Sports > Team Sports
I think that probably is a general truth for him.

giphy.gif

The GOAT sports movie line is what Modine says right before he climbs the peg board: "Wrestling is not a team sport. When you're out there on the mat with another guy who's quicker and faster than you, there's not a whole hell of a lot a team can do for you."

And lest we forget the end voice-over: "We're born to live and then to die and we've got to do it alone, each in his own way."

I've never seen Vision Quest, either. I love Lunatic Fringe, though. One of my favorite songs.

I love Lunatic Fringe because of Vision Quest. If you already love Lunatic Fringe, then you just HAVE to watch Vision Quest.

HuntersCreed's passing is news to me. That sucks so hard.

RR posted the news blurb.

On May 6th at approximately 12:01am, a motorcycle was traveling on the east bound off ramp of I-4 approaching the intersection of SR 33. A white semi-truck was traveling south bound on SR 33 and had just passed under the I4 overpass. While approaching the intersection the motorcycle operator applied his brakes and locked up his rear tire and skidded for approximately 90 feet. The motorcycle then fell to the ground and slid across the roadway for approximately 25 feet. The motorcycle continued to slide into the intersection at which time it impacted the trailer of the semi-truck. The semi-truck pulled over to the side of the road.

The Lakeland Fire Department and Polk County Fire Rescue responded at which time the operator was pronounced deceased on the scene.

Members of the Traffic Homicide Unit were notified and responded to the scene and the accident is still ongoing. The roadway was shut down for 5 hours during the investigation.

Deceased: John E. Nutter, 29 yrs old, 1301 Wheeler Road, Apopka, Florida. NUtter was driving a 2005 Honda VTX motorcycle and ws wearing a helmet. Next-of-kin has been notified.

The driver of the semi: Trawan Phillips, 1388 Jarecki Avenue, Holly Hill, Fla.

How have I never seen that? I'm trying to remember the last time I actually saw a Hendo walkout. Did he do it for a specific fight or fights or does he always do it?

He used it for a time in his post-Pride UFC carrer. Lately he's using Born in America instead.

Here's he's using it at UFC 93 and 82 for instance

@aquamanpunch is your long lost B-movie Bash Brother.

LOL.

Nah, you're just trying to galvanize me into your scheme to have his name mentioned in every post of this thread. Besides, we'd probably end up fighting about who our favorite Corman underling was anyways.

@aquamanpunch

(and I read that Kubrick saw Modine in Vision Quest before casting him, and the thought of Kubrick watching Vision Quest brings the biggest fucking smile to my face :D)

I've seen mention of Kubrick seeing and loving a ton of movies that you wouldn't expect him to. Hell, his daughter claims that they guy loved The Texas Chainsaw Massacre of all films. (though that is a much smarter and deeper film than people give it credit for).

The GOAT sports movie line is what Modine says right before he climbs the peg board: "Wrestling is not a team sport. When you're out there on the mat with another guy who's quicker and faster than you, there's not a whole hell of a lot a team can do for you."

It is intresting to note though that it's not to uncommon to hear MMA sportsmen call MMA a team sport. My team being behind me in the ring. My team prepearing me. And all that. Obviously it's not a literal fact but a perception brought on by the circumstances of their training.

giphy.gif

And lest we forget the end voice-over: "We're born to live and then to die and we've got to do it alone, each in his own way."

Yeah Friday Night Lights would be the opposite. It's a strangely emotional movie but it is very much about the brotherhood formed between teammates in crazy ass Texas where pressure is absurdly high for HS football players.

PS. Who is my bash brother? And what style of bash are we?

I always thought of me and @aquamanpunch as bash brothers of sorts.

got a few korean crime dramas i have queued up on netflix

the man from nowhere is still my favorite ive seen so far

no tears for the dead is a close second

got a few korean crime dramas i have queued up on netflix

the man from nowhere is still my favorite ive seen so far

no tears for the dead is a close second

Love the fight scenes in The Man From Nowhere -- really great.

This movie Vision Quest is fucking great. I can't believe I've never heard of it until now. This kid is so great, I love it. Good shit, I'm glad you guys brought it up. Awesome soundtrack, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back