Sergei Kharitonov fights today

His eye looks nasty. He didn't say anything about it but I'm wondering if he will fight May 30. It's just around the corner! Knowing him I'm sure he wants too but that's probably not wise.

5cSxjNef9-4.jpg

Yeah - way too many disqualifications/odd finishes in this event. It was garbage all around. Sergei came out bigger and way fatter than usual. Fedor is fat, but at least his arms are pure muscle - Sergei is now relying on fat tissue to save his arse (and his chin - sadly, Fedor lost his a while back).

Dunno if I'll have much interest in watching a rematch, Sergei is unmotivated and is way out of shape -
Yeah.. pretty much a awful event.
I understand you doesn't have interest in the rematch, you're probably a Sergei fan i assume?
While i'm a fan of his as well, i'm not *THAT* attached to his image that i can't enjoy a *pass the torch* moment, because i think Vyazigin needs to be refined, of course, but he's a interesting prospect. Big, fast, athletic, good chin and somewhat legit grappling. Also, interested in going to UFC one day. So yeah, that's perverse of my part, but i was hoping for a Vyazigin win by KO. A big win like that should open some doors to him, always great to have such a legendary name in your resume.
how in gods name do you low blow from north south..
<{chips}>

<WhoJeff>
So wait....sergei got eye poked and couldn't continue, so they made a judges technical decision and gave it to Sergei?
It got past the first round, so with a unintentional eye poke stopping the fight they went to the scorecards, and Sergei won the 1st. Right decision, i guess.
Sergei is 12-2 since 2010. He may be fat and unmotivated but he still has it. Would love a "motivated" Sergei to start making some noise again. He's always a threat.
Hell yeah, war Sergei!

<{cuts}>
<36>
After his amateur performance against Barnett he hasn't fought anyone. And recently barely beat Joey Beltran. He certainly doesn't have "it" anymore at all. Give it up.
Stop being a dickhead, let us dream.
<3>

His eye looks nasty. He didn't say anything about it but I'm wondering if he will fight May 30. It's just around the corner! Knowing him I'm sure he wants too but that's probably not wise.
Fuck!

Once, i took a headbutt in a random brawl and had a really bad eye clot like that, it took me like 2 weeks to go back to normal, hope he gets well soon.

his opponent is a good BR striker, he has like 90% of his wins by KO and 5 of his 6 loses were by submission, 1 being by DQ..

if Storm keeps on the feet, what is more likely to happen, should be a good one

Ya, on paper it looks good and even a dangerous fight for Storm. But I still think Storm is just too much for Bruno. But it must be a good brawl anyways.

competitive.. Sergei got taken down by Anton, who advanced to Sergei's back and stayed there for a bit, and with a sweep Sergei got top position and made some work at Anton's body, scoring some points.. on the feet, Sergei was getting outstruck because of Anton's speed advantage.. fuck i can't believe this ending..

As the eyepoke happened things clearly seemed to be shifting towards Sergei for me, Anton was getting backed up and was taking some big punchs which honestly makes me wonder how accidental it was..

Ya, on paper it looks good and even a dangerous fight for Storm. But I still think Storm is just too much for Bruno. But it must be a good brawl anyways.
Probably, Storm only's been knocked out once, dude has a granite chin and can fucking bang, probably gets a KO win there.
As the eyepoke happened things clearly seemed to be shifting towards Sergei for me, Anton was getting backed up and was taking some big punchs which honestly makes me wonder how accidental it was..
Dude Anton took 1 solid punch and it was the last one, other than that they were trading jabs and weak shots, there were no really big punches in the 40 seconds that lasted the 2nd round, and tbh Anton connected more R2, yeah Kharitonov was walking forward but getting countered as well..

Last edited:
Dude Anton took 1 solid punch and it was the last one, other than that they were trading jabs and weak shots, there were no really big punches in the 40 seconds that lasted the 2nd round, and tbh Anton connected more R2, yeah Kharitonov was walking forward but getting countered as well..

Sergei was eating a few shots coming forward but I'd say the fight was clearly going the way he'd want to it, the way he's fought for years now, back opponents up and depend on superior power on the inside, I think you could see Anton was getting a little nervy about it.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed with Anton, I mean yeah he looks decent but against an old/slow Sergei who's now very hittable and depends on his chin. As with so many HW eastern European prospects I just think there isn't the raw materials here that we saw with Fedor, Sergei, Aleks or Arlovski back in the day.

Sergei was eating a few shots coming forward but I'd say the fight was clearly going the way he'd want to it, the way he's fought for years now, back opponents up and depend on superior power on the inside, I think you could see Anton was getting a little nervy about it.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed with Anton, I mean yeah he looks decent but against an old/slow Sergei who's now very hittable and depends on his chin. As with so many HW eastern European prospects I just think there isn't the raw materials here that we saw with Fedor, Sergei, Aleks or Arlovski back in the day.
I don't think that 2nd round was going in anyone's way to be honest, very competitive and didn't lasted enough to make such analysis, Anton was a bit tired because of the body shots R1 and that's all, not nervous, and considering Kharitonov last fight who knows for how much he could have kept walking forward with his guard up, he gasses quickly nowadays.

Yeah i'm not impressed with Anton either, he's pretty much what i expected and saw in his other fights, but he's a fresh prospcet and good to go, there's a lot of room to improve.
Now if you are talking down the Eastern European HW prospects, stop it. Pavlovich could be a top 3 heavyweight on the planet and we don't know yet. He's a hell of a prospect, same for Aliakbari and Goltsov. These guys would give problems to ANYONE. Hell, i would bet at them against someone like Hunt or Derrick Lewis without thinking a lot about it, and i'm not really a betting guy.

PS: Vyazigin is not a top prospect in Europe, he's a decent one, but not someone i would have in my top 10 most promising, let's say.

I don't think that 2nd round was going in anyone's way to be honest, very competitive and didn't lasted enough to make such analysis, Anton was a bit tired because of the body shots R1 and that's all, not nervous, and considering Kharitonov last fight who knows for how much he could have kept walking forward with his guard up, he gasses quickly nowadays.

Yeah i'm not impressed with Anton either, he's pretty much what i expected and saw in his other fights, but he's a fresh prospcet and good to go, there's a lot of room to improve.
Now if you are talking down the Eastern European HW prospects, stop it. Pavlovich could be a top 3 heavyweight on the planet and we don't know yet. He's a hell of a prospect, same for Aliakbari and Goltsov. These guys would give problems to ANYONE. Hell, i would bet at them against someone like Hunt or Derrick Lewis without thinking a lot about it, and i'm not really a betting guy.

PS: Vyazigin is not a top prospect in Europe, he's a decent one, but not someone i would have in my top 10 most promising, let's say.

It wasn't clear Sergei domination or anything like that but as I said I was thinking right before the eye poke that the fight was starting to move in Sergei's favour and half expecting him to land a fight ending punch quite soon.

Yeah I'd agree Pavlovich looks like the best HW prospect in the world right now, the only one I'v seen who seems to really have explosive speed on the level of the older names mentioned, perhaps lacking somewhat in refined boxing but its easier to see him advancing. Whilst declining standards at HW are definitely an issue(Sergei in Pride form would be up there with Stipe fighting for the #1 spot IMHO) there is definitely an issue with the UFC monopolising rankings, big names staying ranked higher because their fighting each other.

In the higher weightclasses generally I always felt Vadim Nemkov looked like he had the best potential, lost some fighting to guys with less potential due to tactical issues.

It wasn't clear Sergei domination or anything like that but as I said I was thinking right before the eye poke that the fight was starting to move in Sergei's favour and half expecting him to land a fight ending punch quite soon.

Yeah I'd agree Pavlovich looks like the best HW prospect in the world right now, the only one I'v seen who seems to really have explosive speed on the level of the older names mentioned, perhaps lacking somewhat in refined boxing but its easier to see him advancing. Whilst declining standards at HW are definitely an issue(Sergei in Pride form would be up there with Stipe fighting for the #1 spot IMHO) there is definitely an issue with the UFC monopolising rankings, big names staying ranked higher because their fighting each other.

In the higher weightclasses generally I always felt Vadim Nemkov looked like he had the best potential, lost some fighting to guys with less potential due to tactical issues.
Heh, i didn't felt like that at all, maybe that's just a bit of wishful thinking of your part? Maybe we aren't seeing the same things, who knows.

You don't think Goltsov and Aliakbari are great prospects? Really? If you don't mind, i assume you haven't seen their last performances? They looked like world beaters there. And sure, the competition has to be considered, but they are facing *some* tough vets who aren't that easy to look good against.

About Vadim, i like him, but being real i always struggle to see why people think so highly of him to a point where he's appointed as a top LHW, ahead of his brother.. i mean, Vadim is 25 years old while Viktor is 31, and therefore Vadim ceiling is probably MUCH higher, but do you think Vadim would beat Viktor?
When i watch their fights, i always feels like in the grappling department they're at very different levels, Viktor also being bigger than Vadim, probably having less of a gas tank and speed. Striking wise, they are a bit different and i don't know who i would give the edge.

Actually, doing some MMA math here, Viktor > Edilov > Jiri > Vadim.

People talk about how weak LHW is, but that's pretty much only the UFC (and isn't that weak, many prospects there), because if you look to worldwide MMA, you have all these guys who are promising and exciting, and Yusupov, Ibragimov, Puetz (idk where he's at nowadays), Albrektsson etc.

Heh, i didn't felt like that at all, maybe that's just a bit of wishful thinking of your part? Maybe we aren't seeing the same things, who knows.

You don't think Goltsov and Aliakbari are great prospects? Really? If you don't mind, i assume you haven't seen their last performances? They looked like world beaters there. And sure, the competition has to be considered, but they are facing *some* tough vets who aren't that easy to look good against.

About Vadim, i like him, but being real i always struggle to see why people think so highly of him to a point where he's appointed as a top LHW, ahead of his brother.. i mean, Vadim is 25 years old while Viktor is 31, and therefore Vadim ceiling is probably MUCH higher, but do you think Vadim would beat Viktor?
When i watch their fights, i always feels like in the grappling department they're at very different levels, Viktor also being bigger than Vadim, probably having less of a gas tank and speed. Striking wise, they are a bit different and i don't know who i would give the edge.

Actually, doing some MMA math here, Viktor > Edilov > Jiri > Vadim.

People talk about how weak LHW is, but that's pretty much only the UFC (and isn't that weak, many prospects there), because if you look to worldwide MMA, you have all these guys who are promising and exciting, and Yusupov, Ibragimov, Puetz (idk where he's at nowadays), Albrektsson etc.

it wasn't certain but again I think the fight was going the way Sergei would want it to and Anton did not look happy about it to me.

The other two look like good prospects but I'm not sure either of them has the potential to rise to the very top, granted I'v only seen a few fights but Goltsov seems a little jack of all trades to be rather than being massively dangerous anywhjere and Aliakbari seems like a modern Lesnar/Coleman/Kerr. I spose you could argue a lot of HW's today haven't ever had to face up to a really elite wrestler and Mirko was actually a bad style matchup for him.

Vadim just seems to have more natural ability than his brother to me, right from the start he reminded me a lot of a young Fedor in the speed/agility he brought, the way he can slip punchs and explode in with his own, the agility to his grappling. The difference I spose is that young Fedor was already arguably more tested with his Judo career, again I think Vadim lost to Jiri and Albrektsson due to questionable tactics, basically going after them too hard rather than waiting for openings losing positions and gassing himself. Recently he seems like he's developed more of a tactical approach.

Result changed to no contest, rematch planned for July according to M-1 website.

Honestly I think Sergei would have been better off sticking with kickboxing. It seemed to me that he'd finally perfected a style that worked for him there in his last few fights and that ment his loss of speed wasn't such an issue. Moving back to MMA with the small gloves he looks a lot more hittable and whilst his grappling has rebounded a little relative to his kickboxing days its still nowhere close to his Pride level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back