Sergei " Bricks for Hands " Kharitonov appreciation thread

That was great a fight. Awesome to see Sergei like that! He was faster, moving better and had his takedown defense working. I think his training in the mountains are working. Powerful shots like always. Scary dude! But a nice dude too, you could see how upset he was with that illegal knee. Even after the fight he looked disappointed with himself that he did that. Sergei is awesome!

Prognoz-na-boj-Sergej-Haritonov---Anton-Vyazigin-M-1-Challenge-92.jpg

My favorite fighter since his PRIDE debut...
Rocked a custom SK AV for more than half a decade too :)

so sirgay is the alternate in the HW tournament, but i'm wondering, would he actually fight fedor?? i feel like he wouldn't

I just hope he fights more often. That fight was awesome last night. Two big boys throwing heavy shots

so sirgay is the alternate in the HW tournament, but i'm wondering, would he actually fight fedor?? i feel like he wouldn't

He certainly would , they used to be training partners, but they had some internal drama back then at RTT..

His fight with Aleksander ( and loss because of overconfidence ) basically spoiled us of the (almost prime) Sergei vs prime Fedor fight.. as SK was being vocal about fighting Fedor back then and Aleks clearly acted as Fedor's hitman/gatekeeper on this occasion.

Basically the same situation as with CC, win over Aleks = title shot ( PRIDE was also already building up that rivalry / story and matched him with Aleks , imo; for the drama value )

Sergei is a truly scary dude. He has very heavy and thudding power. It's something special.

Great performance last night! He looked good

If Sergei showed up in last night’s form he would give Derrick Lewis a beating.

Kharitonov is always a threat, even at this stage of his career.
Wouldn't surprise me if he's wearing that Bellator HW strap in 2019.

He certainly would , they used to be training partners, but they had some internal drama back then at RTT..

His fight with Aleksander ( and loss because of overconfidence ) basically spoiled us of the (almost prime) Sergei vs prime Fedor fight.. as SK was being vocal about fighting Fedor back then and Aleks clearly acted as Fedor's hitman/gatekeeper on this occasion.

Basically the same situation as with CC, win over Aleks = title shot ( PRIDE was also already building up that rivalry / story and matched him with Aleks , imo; for the drama value )
Yeah, but that fight also showed what a freak of nature Aleks was in his prime, that combination of size, power and handspeed is really unusual in MMA.
You look and the amount of great athletes and pretty well rounded fighters that we had back then and today freaking Derrick Lewis is a top contender and a top 5/borderline top 3 guy...

He definitely used to have a granite chin, but that shot Ayala threw was a Hail Mary bomb and it landed perfectly.

In his past, Kharitonov used to heavily rely on his chin. He was willing to eat multiple blows to land one. I think he’s gotten a bit wiser. He avoided Nelson’s right very well I thought.
His whole Kickboxing carreer was him with hands low to defend leg kicks, while defending punches with his face... He has a solid chin, but he is so slow these days, he is gonna get wrecked on the feet more than not.
Dude was slow when he was Young and light, these days he looks like a slow motion replay. That bunch of fat doesn't help either... He could be at least 250, it would suit him better.

He's always one of my what if fighters. What if he would've continued training his all around game like 03-05 instead of strictly focusing on kickboxing? And what if he didn't rely on his chin/toughness to compete in those kickboxing matches?

Sergei is great. Excellent win last night.

Nice performance, but let's not get too carried away, Roy just stands in front of you

Yeah, but that fight also showed what a freak of nature Aleks was in his prime, that combination of size, power and handspeed is really unusual in MMA.
You look and the amount of great athletes and pretty well rounded fighters that we had back then and today freaking Derrick Lewis is a top contender and a top 5/borderline top 3 guy...

Yeah the " evolution " of MMA fighters sure is a myth, at least as far as HW fighters are concerned..
PRIDE's 2002-2006 generation was exceptional (+ AA and a few more ) , hence why half of the top 10 were still 40 years olds of that epoch a year ago ( prior to Barnett disappearing, Werdum popping, Hunto & Overeem taking a step back etc ) ..

Now you have people like Volkov and Lewis, in the top ten, that would have gotten beat up/ outjabbed/ wall and stalled by a prime Big Tim...

Nice performance, but let's not get too carried away, Roy just stands in front of you

Well half of the top ten fights like that nowadays, and the other half are wreslters/grapplers so..
Sergei would have a decent chance against any striker dumb enough to trade with him aka AO, Lewis, NGannou, and with the grapplers with meh TDs like Werdum and Oleynik..
Anyway he is just an entertainer at this point, jsut enjoy his performances, but we all know he doesn't have anything for DC, Stipe or anyone intelligent enough to bring him down asap..

He's always one of my what if fighters. What if he would've continued training his all around game like 03-05 instead of strictly focusing on kickboxing? And what if he didn't rely on his chin/toughness to compete in those kickboxing matches?

Yeah, he will definitely always be a question mark.
That move to K1 was beyond stupid, and interfered with his chin durability..
He should have focused on staying in shape ( around 240-245 ), and on his boxing and sambo..
Now he is basically a one trick pony, but that trick is hella powerful ..!

He had everything to be a great champion, size, all aroundness, youth excellent striking, chin, and was faster..
Then he injured his shoulder against AO and everything started to fall apart from there (imo)

Back