Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D) Introduces Bill: Border Patrol+ICE Must Document Every Stop

Not sure what this has to do with terrorizing the "populice".

Is your view that ICE and BP are regularly terrorizing the "populice"?

Apprehensions of illegal aliens at the border have spiked in recent months.

The answer to your question is yes. And the graph shows that there is seasonality in the metric. The recent spike is still to a normal level.

It's coming from a poster (me) who believes in strong borders and a strong crackdown on illegal immigration. The data in the post are all accurate.

What does should we read into the fact that your source even for normal articles is a place people go when they think Fox News is too high brow and balanced?

One of those three things is correct though .

tenor.gif

I don't see the issue, as long as you're cool with beefing up the personnel to accommodate such a strict protocol.

I don't see the issue, as long as you're cool with beefing up the personnel to accommodate such a strict protocol.

Agents have vast powers to question people about their citizenship status, but there are some limits to that power.It’s illegal for agents to stop someone solely because of their race, or for no reason whatsoever. But because CBP and ICE do not keep track of their stops and searches, oversight can be a challenge.

Gillibrand’s bill seeks to bring more accountability to the process. It would require the agencies to start collecting data every time officers question someone about their immigration status when they are not at an airport or border crossing. They would need to report the time, date, and place of each stop, and the basis for questioning someone and the duration of the stop, among other details.

Not sure why they'd need to hire more agents just to ensure that they're following the law.

And if Republicans object to the specific wording, surely they'll be willing to propose an alternate bill.

1. Would require border patrol and immigration enforcement agents to document every instance when they stop, search, or interrogate people
  2. The bill is co-sponsored by Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Tom Udall (D-NM) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
  3. The law would apply to all stops by agents who work for US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  4. Would need to report the time, date, and place of each stop, and the basis for questioning someone and the duration of the stop, among other detail
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...rsten-gillibrand-immigration-border-stop-bill
---------------------

Looks like more ammo for the coming Democratic primary race. It has no chance of passing. Also---assuming we're talking about detailed reports for each person at each stop---it's a horrible idea, with ICE/BP already bogged down amid a spike in border apprehensions. If it's just that each stop must be documented along with the number of people questioned, I'm on board.

Am I missing something? What's wrong with documenting the shit out of this? Why is that even optional? If you're gonna stop people and check the legality of their presence in the country, there should be paper trail of every such instance, period, non-negotiable.

I volunteered to be part of the torture testing for those a few years back. They don't hold up to the terrain we work in unfortunately. Maybe it'll be revisited in the future.
What the hell are you talking about, exactly?

Body cameras are already widely in use, and there are quite literally millions of athletes putting cameras thru much, much more abuse on a daily basis than a few donut crumbs getting sprinkled on them.

What the hell are you talking about, exactly?

Body cameras are already widely in use, and there are quite literally millions of athletes putting cameras thru much, much more abuse on a daily basis than a few donut crumbs getting sprinkled on them.
What a valuable post.

The models they provided us with weren't of the highest quality. They wouldn't stay on uniforms during foot chases through mountains, malfunctioned due to being exposed to 110+ degree heat for hours on end, and took an even bigger beating on our specialty units like horses or ATVs.

This was also I believe five years ago. I'm certain the technology has improved since then and last I heard we are revisiting the issue. I'm a pro-body camera guy so leave your passive aggressive/shit posting to yourself.

What a valuable post.

The models they provided us with weren't of the highest quality. They wouldn't stay on uniforms during foot chases through mountains, malfunctioned due to being exposed to 110+ degree heat for hours on end, and took an even bigger beating on our specialty units like horses or ATVs.

This was also I believe five years ago. I'm certain the technology has improved since then and last I heard we are revisiting the issue. I'm a pro-body camera guy so leave your passive aggressive/shit posting to yourself.
Lol. GoPros are functional in all of those situations, and they were 5 years ago. I found one submerged on the bottom of the river and it still worked fine.

Lol. GoPros are functional in all of those situations, and they were 5 years ago. I found one submerged on the bottom of the river and it still worked fine.
Weird. Almost like we weren't provided with GoPros. Please tell me more about the study I was involved in and supported.

Weird. Almost like we weren't provided with GoPros. Please tell me more about the study I was involved in and supported.
So, the bloated government agency's excuse is "We can't afford the same cameras as a homeless ski bum living in a resort parking lot, or a 13-year-old skateboarder trying to start a YouTube channel"?

The same camera that is and has been the industry standard ever since these kind of cameras existed, mind you.

So, the bloated government agency's excuse is "We can't afford the same cameras as a homeless ski bum living in a resort parking lot, or a 13-year-old skateboarder trying to start a YouTube channel"?
They were Taser brand, and I doubt they were cheap. But they didn't work.

BRB gonna go promote all the way to the Secretary of the Department and order GoPros.

Only minorities care about freedom? You think all white people want law enforcement to act without oversight?
What, pray tell, is the reason for proposing a bill that won't get passed?

to get the poor white vote?

hahahahahahahahah

They were Taser brand, and I doubt they were cheap. But they didn't work.

BRB gonna go promote all the way to the Secretary of the Department and order GoPros.
The only reason that anyone would buy a Taser brand camera for this over a GoPro is corrupt relationships between Taser and LEO. That is a Good 'Ol Boy purchase, and a waste of taxpayer money. Like I said, just another example of govt bloat. GoPro has always been the standard. The only reason that you saw a Taser camera in that environment is because your boss is corrupt and incompetent. Axon (Taser) is a money-grab, not an attempt at better law enforcement.

What, pray tell, is the reason for proposing a bill that won't get passed?

to get the poor white vote?

hahahahahahahahah

What's the reason for a senator proposing a good solution to a problem? That's pretty much their job. Try to pass it even if you're fighting long odds. Or at least introduce it into the discussion so the seed is planted. See my first comment to you: "No good bill will pass in today's gov't. I don't think that means we should roll over and die." That means, "don't stop doing your job just because there are major obstacles to success at the present time."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back