Semmy Schilt- Most Devastating Jab in Kickboxing History(HL)

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Readybodisready, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Readybodisready Black Belt

Readybodisready

This was fun to make, working on the footage in slow motion I could see just how well Semmy put his entire weight into that lethal left jab.

2. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    Incase anyone is unaware, Semmy is right handed fighting from a south paw stance, so his jab is his power hand.

*EDIT - Meant to say left handed in orthodox stance.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Left Hook Lacy likes this.
  3. Mafanofe Brown Belt

Mafanofe
    the way he slept Sefo with a jab still one of the most impressive moments on kickboxing HWs history

Sefo was never KOed by punches,only TKOed a few times,it was like Souwer KO on Zambidis,everyone expected him to win,but a KO wasnt on people minds thats for sure

4. CaulderBorn Blue Belt

CaulderBorn
    U mean the other way around ? The whole vid is semmy in Ortho throwing left handed jabs.

5. Karaev fan Brown Belt

Karaev fan
    1. Fantastic highlight. There's something almost therapeutic watching someone continuously demolish opponents with one move
    2. Semmy was truly a monster in his own league. People give the UFC Stefan Struve and HMC hate on not "fighting tall like Semmy Schilt", but who else in kickboxing history had legit one punch KO power in his jab?
    3. Man FEG ruined a lot of prospects. Bjorn Bregy, Paul Slowinski, Hesdy Gerges, Daniel Ghita... there was a period of time where Tanikawa was so desperate to dethrone Semmy that whenever he saw someone run through a qualifier tournament he just threw him up against Semmy in the opening rounds.

Readybodisready and AbeRudder like this.
  6. ichibang Brown Belt

ichibang
    Semmy was truly a monster.

Imagine if he had Bob Sapp, Hug or Hari's personality, Dude would have been the biggest draw in kickboxing history.

7. AbeRudder Green Belt

AbeRudder
    Semmy wasn't particularly popular was he? I'm guessing the K1 higher ups weren't fond of his dominance.

8. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    Whoops, ya that's what I meant. Usually it's orthos that switch to southpaw.

9. Readybodisready Black Belt

Readybodisready
    Do you happen to have a quote where Semmy talks about this? I've heard of this before but only from hearsay.

10. Da Killa Green Belt

Da Killa
    He wasn't a very colorful guy, as some has already pointed out. Besides that I think the Japanese love an underdog and Semmy was just too damn dominant. His size gave him a huge advantage so I think that part also didn't appeal to K-1's homemarket, they did love Bob Sapp though, so it's probably more about his personality.

Semmy is very skillful though, and I believe he was also a hard worker, I don't think he felt he came to his success easily and he was always extremely annoyed when people brought up his size advantage in interviews etc.

11. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    It's probably out there somewhere but I'm not gonna search for it. It's one of those "common knowledge" things amongst Kickboxing fans over the years.

12. CaulderBorn Blue Belt

CaulderBorn
    interviewer Q- what makes you laugh
    Semmy A- Jokes

13. Mafanofe Brown Belt

Mafanofe
    Not only the lack of personality,he wasnt popular because he dethroned a lot of fan favorite HW´s,some of them old school that people cheered for since the beginning

-Ragdolled Sefo twice
    -was basically one of the main reasons to make Hoost retire after two dominant victories over him
    -3x0 against JLB taking him out from a WGP Quarter and semi final
    -Took the gold from aerts from two consecutive finals

and also gave no chance to the new generation stars

Dominance over Remy,Feitosa,Musashi

People expected for a whole year to see the major tournament,the "world cup" of HW kickboxing,just to see their favorite guys getting smashed in most of the times on one sided beatdowns

Semy was too good to not have charisma...

the most educated fans like to watch him,he know how to display his power with his techniques very very well,but its not enough to be popular for the masses

14. Karaev fan Brown Belt

Karaev fan
    K-1 did not do any favors for him marketing wise what with showing him as the guy with three pet snakes. Eventually they just sorta gave up and had him screaming in the woods for his promos

I think opinion of him has turned around since 2010ish though. I mean, at least he was a dominant champion going around finishing his opponents and there was some element of intrigue about who was going to stop him. He also struck me as a generally nice guy (I think he went to Fukushima shortly after the accident there to help with relief).

15. ALE Green Belt

ALE
    that jab is brutal.

imagine this kind of giant man using a pike 400 years ago

[​IMG]

16. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    <Lmaoo>

17. Da Killa Green Belt

Da Killa
    Saying Semmy was all about size isn't far fetched though. The one time he fought someone his own size he looked pretty terrible. Hong Man Choi was just a beginner kickboxer and he made Semmy look pretty silly, even if you think it was a bad decesion.

18. ThierryAlvarez Yellow Belt

ThierryAlvarez
    Semmy is a freak of nature. I walked by his gym once in Zuidlaren and some guy walks past me. Immediately knew it was him cause I felt like a kid again, and i'm 6 feet. He is legit huge and it's an absurd advantage against any opponent. He was walking with his son, into a toy store lol, waving and saying hi to the shop owners nearby. Seems like a really nice guy. Not one of those typical kickboxing airheads.

19. Hatestorm Black Belt

Hatestorm
    The bowel releasing KO of Ray Sefo is one of the best.