Seminar throw down

Matsukaze

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just a question that I have..... Has anyone ever witnessed a challenge or a throw down at any bjj seminars? Several years ago I posted about one that happened at an Andre Galvao seminar in Atlanta. Basically, this brown belt from the area was there and during the rolling session of the seminar he was just being a jerk and rolling way too hard on lower belts and females. Andre called him over and proceeded to train wreck the living crap out of him for several rounds. So intense that folks stopped and moved out of the way to watch the master at his craft.
Anyone witness anything like this before?

define rolling too hard he had to have been slamming people ect for him to notice that at a seminar and plus dude was a brown and this was years ago so id not think hed have to go to hard to smash many people

I've heard these "gym enforcer" stories before.
While the goal is deflate the ego of the person being beat down, doesn't it just increase the ego of the enforcer? Like does the guy whose taking the beating every walk away thinking he learned a lesson? Seems like something you do to kids because they don't understand reason, yet it's the kids who get the stern talking to.

While the goal is deflate the ego of the person being beat down, doesn't it just increase the ego of the enforcer? Like does the guy whose taking the beating every walk away thinking he learned a lesson? Seems like something you do to kids because they don't understand reason, yet it's the kids who get the stern talking to.
At least people learn there is always a bigger and better guy out there.
You can tell them and if they dont listen, they have to feel.

I've only attended a handful of seminars, but nothing close to this even happens. I always hope to have a chance to roll with the black belts, but they always just stand around talking and skip the training.

Not first hand but a mate of mine was at a Big Nog & Feijao seminar years ago where he said one or two guys tried to prove their tough guy credentials rolling.

Didn't go well for them apparently as Nogeuira and Feijao decided not to take any crap and just absolutely battered them.

Just a question that I have..... Has anyone ever witnessed a challenge or a throw down at any bjj seminars? Several years ago I posted about one that happened at an Andre Galvao seminar in Atlanta. Basically, this brown belt from the area was there and during the rolling session of the seminar he was just being a jerk and rolling way too hard on lower belts and females. Andre called him over and proceeded to train wreck the living crap out of him for several rounds. So intense that folks stopped and moved out of the way to watch the master at his craft.
Anyone witness anything like this before?

Thats awesome, just had a seminar with andre, nicest guy, that brown musta deserved it.

Huh interesting I heard the story a different way. I remember hearing was that he came in and actually challenged him to vale tudo and Andre obliged. Messed the guy up and continued with the seminar.

Anyway to get a first-hand account? Somebody that knows Andre should ask him. I'd like to hear him tell the story.

Huh interesting I heard the story a different way. I remember hearing was that he came in and actually challenged him to vale tudo and Andre obliged. Messed the guy up and continued with the seminar.

Anyway to get a first-hand account? Somebody that knows Andre should ask him. I'd like to hear him tell the story.
I think you have to be mental to challenge Andre to a vale tudo fight, brown belt or not.

I think you have to be mental to challenge Andre to a vale tudo fight, brown belt or not.
Man he squashes average brown belts like I do white belts. Guy had to be deranged for sure.

Seminars I've attended don't usually have rolling. Most take the view that they're there to learn and rolling just takes away from that time.... unless you're one of the ones that get your 30 seconds of fame

Occasionally, the instructor might oblige and give a few people a go but it's usually short and sweet.

Not necessarily. Most enforcers know what the job and just do it. There's no inflation of ego (though most would probably admit they enjoy it after a bit of prodding).

Back