Self training Lethwei!

ive always thought that an enterprising Greco Roman wrestling expert could make a mint learning the Thai clinch and then integrating the two styles together

Completely agree with you there. I actually feel that my Thai clinch got a lot better after I started training SAMBO, it gave me a much better foundation for understanding how to actually stand in the clinch and how to time and properly commit to throws!

heard and been told the same thing many times...agree but I have never had the chance to train any of it. Even wrestling will help in the clinch IMO, not that your going to do a wrestling slam, but you would think outside the box so to speak. When I clinch with the mma guys, they do some weird stuff sometimes that works and would still be legal, or a possible "gray" area.

In MMA using the head to force position against the cage is common place and encouraged - it's surprising that knowledge doesn't seem to occur to western Thai boxers a lot of the time.

Now I'm not saying that Lethwei would ever be legal competition in the US or the UK... but y'know... might get people smarter about it...

In MMA using the head to force position against the cage is common place and encouraged - it's surprising that knowledge doesn't seem to occur to western Thai boxers a lot of the time.

Now I'm not saying that Lethwei would ever be legal competition in the US or the UK... but y'know... might get people smarter about it...

right! yeah grinding your head in is a great tactic.

The dude I fought in my avatar was a wrestler, i have become friends with the most the guys I have fought. Anyways during our fight, he did a great job of catching my body kicks, but his wrestling kicked in and rather than sweep or use some kinda MT move he did alot of what I would call MMA style slams on me, it was kinda gray area, but the ref didnt stop it and it was effective.

right! yeah grinding your head in is a great tactic.

The dude I fought in my avatar was a wrestler, i have become friends with the most the guys I have fought. Anyways during our fight, he did a great job of catching my body kicks, but his wrestling kicked in and rather than sweep or use some kinda MT move he did alot of what I would call MMA style slams on me, it was kinda gray area, but the ref didnt stop it and it was effective.

Suplexes are great fun legal techniques, I'm curious as to if this technique is muay thai legal:

purely because he throws him from under his legs

Suplexes are great fun legal techniques, I'm curious as to if this technique is muay thai legal:

lol, not legal at all for MT. The closes thing I can think of to this, would be the lift them at the hip sweep.

lol, not legal at all for MT. The closes thing I can think of to this, would be the lift them at the hip sweep.

That's what I was thinking, so far as I know, takedowns are legal so long as you don't grab around the leg(s) or hook the legs with the back of your leg - so I was looking at that thinking "I don't think this is quite the right kind of suplex"

I get what you mean - but the thing is that if you remove the headbutts - you're just doing muay thai, so you may as well just train Thai Boxing haha.

That being said, I think that the head is extremely under utilised in Muay Thai - so much so that people seem to think that I'm cheating when I use my head to push around the opponent. It's legal... it's just no one thinks to do it.

Again not strictly true, no boxing gloves means more body shots and you win only by KO or the other fighter cannot continue, if the fight goes the distance it's a draw.......this makes the fights totally different.

I think it has something to do with a lack of good trainers in this area, plus how they score fights in the UK and US.

heard and been told the same thing many times...agree but I have never had the chance to train any of it. Even wrestling will help in the clinch IMO, not that your going to do a wrestling slam, but you would think outside the box so to speak. When I clinch with the mma guys, they do some weird stuff sometimes that works and would still be legal, or a possible "gray" area.
i come
From a Dutch and mma style kickboxing background and was at a Muay Thai clinic a few months back. I was far from
The most technical or experienced guy on the mats but when we got to trips/sweeps/dumps I was right at home. I was surprised how much the wrestling fundamentals of hip position, height and angles come into play

Again not strictly true, no boxing gloves means more body shots and you win only by KO or the other fighter cannot continue, if the fight goes the distance it's a draw.......this makes the fights totally different.

You'd think that but I've yet to see them really go for body shots, no decisions causes them to have to head hunt a lot more - but yeah I wouldn't say it's hugely useful to practise for muay thai competition - but huuuuuuuuge for self defence.

I think it has something to do with a lack of good trainers in this area, plus how they score fights in the UK and US.

I think it's partly that - but partly that the culture of the UK and US is so firmly entrenched in boxing that when it comes to learn a new style of Thai Boxing, they focus so much on hands and then kicks rather than the subtleties - that and getting qualified in Thailand is not exactly... hard - so those who do get qualified out there don't have to pick up much in the way of the clinch.

That's what I was thinking, so far as I know, takedowns are legal so long as you don't grab around the leg(s) or hook the legs with the back of your leg - so I was looking at that thinking "I don't think this is quite the right kind of suplex"

You can get away with hooking behind the leg, so much so that I would say its worth practicing. it seems to be very loosley enforced.

i come
From a Dutch and mma style kickboxing background and was at a Muay Thai clinic a few months back. I was far from
The most technical or experienced guy on the mats but when we got to trips/sweeps/dumps I was right at home. I was surprised how much the wrestling fundamentals of hip position, height and angles come into play

yeah it goes with the whole.....all martial arts are connected thing.

You'd think that but I've yet to see them really go for body shots, no decisions causes them to have to head hunt a lot more - but yeah I wouldn't say it's hugely useful to practise for muay thai competition - but huuuuuuuuge for self defence.

I think it's partly that - but partly that the culture of the UK and US is so firmly entrenched in boxing that when it comes to learn a new style of Thai Boxing, they focus so much on hands and then kicks rather than the subtleties - that and getting qualified in Thailand is not exactly... hard - so those who do get qualified out there don't have to pick up much in the way of the clinch.

I think that's the problem.....getting "qualified" it's pretty much buy a certicate.

That and TKD trained Thai's back in the day that showed their version of Muay Thai in the UK..........I am looking at you Master Sken....;)

I think that's the problem.....getting "qualified" it's pretty much buy a certicate.

That and TKD trained Thai's back in the day that showed their version of Muay Thai in the UK..........I am looking at you Master Sken....;)

Ehhh there's more to it than that. I'll defend Sken, even though I'm not in his lineage.

Nah, that ain't legal in MT. Anyway, watching some Lethwei fights a couple of years ago made me realize that Lethwei can be excellent for a street fight. It's like muay Thai with Kuai Jiao TDs which is why I think San Shou can be pretty effective for a streetfight as well.

Nah, that ain't legal in MT. Anyway, watching some Lethwei fights a couple of years ago made me realize that Lethwei can be excellent for a street fight. It's like muay Thai with Kuai Jiao TDs which is why I think San Shou can be pretty effective for a streetfight as well.

I'm not familiar with Kaai Jaio - that's one I'm gonna google.

Yeah Lethwei seems like it might be the most applicable for street defence. I also really like Sanshou in concept but it's hard to find places to train it :(

Another cool thing with Lethwei is how they will actually elbow, knee and headbutt in combination.

also really like Sanshou in concept but it's hard to find places to train it

I had the feeling it's the opposite... I've trained a few months in Sanshou while transitioning MT camps, but never could find a Letwei gym. I thought it was for 2 main reasons, 1) too "extreme" 2) no exposure. Whereas Sanshou, been part of the Kung Fu family, is more known to the world...

Bruce Lee liked those headbutts of Lethwei

I had the feeling it's the opposite... I've trained a few months in Sanshou while transitioning MT camps, but never could find a Letwei gym. I thought it was for 2 main reasons, 1) too "extreme" 2) no exposure. Whereas Sanshou, been part of the Kung Fu family, is more known to the world...

There's two sanshou classes in london to my knowledge

but there isn't a single in Lethwei that I can find

There's two sanshou classes in london to my knowledge

but there isn't a single in Lethwei that I can find

i highly doubt you will find lethwei anywhere in the world outside of Myanmar. Train MT, add headbutts, boom lethwei. Thats what Leduc is doing at TMT

Back