Self Defense Techniques (Defending yourself while outnumbered). Got a few questions

Pacman322**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This doesn't pertain to boxing itself, but i have a few questions about how to defend myself better when i'm outnumbered.

I'm not one to start fights and i try to avoid confrontation, but the city i live in isn't the greatest and i've been fucked with a few times by groups of people and i need some advice on how to fight against numerous people if the situation occurs.

I have good boxing technique when i'm sparring or training, but when situations like that occur i get nervous and by trying to talk people down usually ends up with me getting sucker punched. I try to fight back and usually i do damage to atleast someone, but when you are swarmed by several people it's hard to keep composure or really do much of anything. Especially when you don't see the punches coming.

if i can't avoid the situation does anyone have tips on how to fend people off when you are outnumbered? Obviously a few things i've naturally picked up on are to never turn my back when something like this occurs, let them come to me and don't let them get too close, keep a constant watch on everyone, etc. I'm thinking i'd want to try and lure them in one by one and throw some straights or jabs and get out quick? Just be cautious in general?

any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Yea, it sure would get someone to back off! Hey, if i feel i'm in danger of getting seriously hurt i'll do anything i can to fight back.

The eye poke would probably be a last resort though lol

The sad part is, usually little damage was done to me even when i was mugged by about 8 people. They are usually your typical wiggers who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

My twin brother is usually with me, so he'll try to fight back and he can keep his composure alot better than i can. I have the better technique normally, but i fight stupid when i'm in a bad situation. He is the more laid back one, and is usually the one trying to tell the people just to back off but when someone fucks with me or another person in my family he goes into defensive mode and it's like another side to him.

He keeps his composure and i've seen him take on 2-3 people and have them all backing off after a few punches each. If he wasn't there those times though, i probably wouldn't be so lucky. Teenagers and alot of young adults today have no respect, and will do anything they can to have the upper hand in a fight. That is why i try and avoid them at all costs, but sometimes you can't and i'd like to be able to defend myself better when it does happen.

Identify who the tough guy is among them and attempt to destroy him as fast as possible.

If you can take out their toughest guy QUICK, (the guy they respect and fear), the steam may go right out of their attack because these types of guys are cowardly by nature.

Say there's five of them.
A few will usually hang back and wait till their two (or three) more aggressive guys get the victim down, then when there's little risk to themselves, only then will they come forward to get their kicks in. If they think there's any potential for damage to themselves, then they won't engage.

I think learning to function under the adrenaline rush is the most important aspect, and unfortunately many instructors don't spend time on that aspect, focusing mostly on technique instead.

For God's sake, DON'T TAKE A STREET-FIGHT TO THE GROUND!!!

Identify who the tough guy is among them and attempt to destroy him as fast as possible.

If you can take out their toughest guy QUICK, (the guy they respect and fear), the steam may go right out of their attack because these types of guys are cowardly by nature...

Reminds me of the first chapter of Ender's Game.

If you can take out their toughest guy QUICK, (the guy they respect and fear), the steam may go right out of their attack because these types of guys are cowardly by nature.

Say there's five of them.
A few will usually hang back and wait till their two (or three) more aggressive guys get the victim down, then when there's little risk to themselves, only then will they come forward to get their kicks in. If they think there's any potential for damage to themselves, then they won't engage.

I think learning to function under the adrenaline rush is the most important aspect, and unfortunately many instructors don't spend time on that aspect, focusing mostly on technique instead.

For God's sake, DON'T TAKE A STREET-FIGHT TO THE GROUND!!!

Thanks for the tips bradlee. I usually try and go for the toughest person, but half the time it's the big jacked ones that you think are the tough ones who don't have any clue how to fight. I hate trying to take fights to the ground, my idea of a fight is a good old scrap. Whenever i start beating someone on the feet who is alot bigger than me, 90% of the time they try and tackle me or someone else will tackle me from behind. When that happens there isn't much i can do other than go into the fetal position and hope for the best lol.

I definately agree that learning to stay calm is something i need to work on, it's my biggest weakness. I have really bad anxiety as it is, let alone when i get put in danger. When it's a one on one fight, i don't get the anxiety nearly as bad. Probably because it's a much easier pill to swallow having 1 person fighting you versus several.

And you are right about only a few coming in at once, i've found almost everytime i've been jumped that most of the people stay back (the ones who are cowards) and a few select try to handle it first. There is nothing more cowardly than beating on someone who you know is already beaten and outnumbered. But i've kind of learned to get use to it...

From what you are telling me, you get overanxious and you need to control it. The overanxious aspect can be derived from many things. You need discover the root of the problem and go from there. I recommend you quietly take deep breaths during the confrontation to lower your heart rate and visually assess the situation so you know what you can expect.

As for street fighting, keep your shit compact and tight. Nothing flashy and just aim for vital points. Chin, temple, and nose at mid-range. And nothing ends matters quicker than a short, quick lead hook. If you are in a grappling situation, grab wind pipe with your thumb and index finger in the Thyroid cartridge area, pull and squeeze until you crush it or ply your thumb into one his eye sockets. That will quickly neutralize anything he plans on doing. Problem with close quarter, clinch punching is that you can't torque your body and throw your weight into your punches. In a street fight with multiple people, you want to end one opponent as quickly as possible and move on. Of course, if you want to be humane about it, depending on your position, hit vital points. If the head is available to you, hit the points I suggested earlier (temple, chin, nose) and if the back of the head is available to you, hit bellow the occipital bone. That can quickly disorient your assailant because that's the visual cortex area. If the chest area is available to you, put a knee to his solar plex. You throw a hard enough knee there, you break the xiphoid bone and cause internal damage to his lungs.

I like what Brad bitch suggested. The quicker you end the fight with the first assailant, his associates become more hesitant. And finding yourself on the ground with a multi-opponent fight means there is a high probability you'll get stomped on. Keep it standing.

get a pistol, problem solved :D if you wanna keep it fisticuffs the nutshot is seriously underrated, shin/foot /punch to the balls is quick and devastating

get on a bit mental and take the leader out, there balls will drop.

if this doesnt work either run or swing like a mad man.

From what you are telling me, you get overanxious and you need to control it. The overanxious aspect can be derived from many things. You need discover the root of the problem and go from there. I recommend you quietly take deep breaths during the confrontation to lower your heart rate and visually assess the situation so you know what you can expect.

As for street fighting, keep your shit compact and tight. Nothing flashy and just aim for vital points. Chin, temple, and nose at mid-range. And nothing ends matters quicker than a short, quick lead hook. If you are in a grappling situation, grab wind pipe with your thumb and index finger in the Thyroid cartridge area, pull and squeeze until you crush it or ply your thumb into one his eye sockets. That will quickly neutralize anything he plans on doing. Problem with close quarter, clinch punching is that you can't torque your body and throw your weight into your punches. In a street fight with multiple people, you want to end one opponent as quickly as possible and move on. Of course, if you want to be humane about it, depending on your position, hit vital points. If the head is available to you, hit the points I suggested earlier (temple, chin, nose) and if the back of the head is available to you, hit bellow the occipital bone. That can quickly disorient your assailant because that's the visual cortex area. If the chest area is available to you, put a knee to his solar plex. You throw a hard enough knee there, you break the xiphoid bone and cause internal damage to his lungs.

I like what Brad bitch suggested. The quicker you end the fight with the first assailant, his associates become more hesitant. And finding yourself on the ground with a multi-opponent fight means there is a high probability you'll get stomped on. Keep it standing.

Yea i usually go with straightforward punches to the face, jaw and chin if i can but also sometimes the nose and the orbital bone. All those techniques you listed all sound they would definately stop someone for atleast a decent period of time, so i'll make sure to try them out if i get put in a situation like this again.

To help my anxiety i'm also gonna try and get to the gym more to get confident in my fighting. A little more sparring couldn't hurt either i'm sure. I'll try keeping my cool if things get heavy too, although it's kinda tough when i'm caught off guard.

Thanks for all the tips.

Look. You should avoid street fights at all cost. If you can talk yourself out of it, do it. All things I suggested can happen to you also. Street fights are never fair. Get hit by a bottle, brick, get stabbed. It's not fun.

That said, you should always carry an equalizer. I recommend a four inch metal baton you can grip with your hand. Half inch longer than your fist. I don't recommend straight punching with it. Sideswipes and hammer fists are best in close quarters. So hammer fist to the temple or below the occipital bone behind the head. The tip of the baton is a simple concentrated force amplifier and it would take out your opponent easily.

Of course, this would be consider assault with a weapon and you take major jail time. Add to that, you can easily get carried away and do serious, serious damage and you're screwed. Kid... Just say no to street fighting.

This is what I recommend carrying, but please... Be careful. In my teens, I run towards trouble. Now in my 20s, I just walk way and really do not care how others feel about it.

Amazon.com: SureFire E2D LED Defender Flashlight Max-120 Lumens E2DL-BK: Sports & Outdoors

It is not like you can easily keep distance with more than one opponent.

You have all of one or two hard strikes before you will be in close quarter fighting, where you will have no leverage to throw a KO punch. If you do not KO or dishearten on that strike, you will be mobbed. The strike can be anything, from a KO punch, a stamp to the knee, knee to the groin or HARD kick (if you are VERY confident).

If that does not end it, then calm, accurate strikes to damage points like the nose, eyesocket, throat and groin will be far more productive than full power inaccurate shots that will be dampened by lack of space to throw, and inhibitive clothing. People might not feel much pain when adrenalised, but can easliy be disheartened by strikes to the face and vunerable body parts.

Elbows and knees and the head turn out to be great weapons.

You biggest threat is being knocked out, tripped and bundled, or stabbed. I will ignore weapons in this.

The other IMPORTANT thing is to be aware of what the others are doing. DO NOT get sucked into what one guy is saying/doing because you will get blindsided. Move, try and keep them from surrounding you.

If a guy DOES attack, then the MT clinch or single collar tie is an optimum defense/attack, because you can maneuver the guy you are attacking to block any other guys for a second or two. High impact throws are VERY good if you are good at them, as you have a VERY high chance that the throw will incapacitate them, concrete and all that.

Grabbing the chin and back of the head and twisting in all 3 planes is SURPRISINGLY effective at dropping someone not expecting it.

Practise situations in class makes a lot of difference as well.

Wrong forum. Talk to the mma guys because boxing does not work on the streets.

Getting jumped is definitely not fun. Because the possibilty exists...I'm a concealed handgun license holder. I even still carry my pocket knife.

Try to not even make eye contact with these idiots if at all possible. Like you said...they sucker punch you when you try to talk some sense to them, so if they get close...show them your weapon. I never want trouble but if you come asking for some with me I have no problem doing whatever it takes.

Dude, where do you hang out exactly? And where do you live?

Wrong forum. Talk to the mma guys because boxing does not work on the streets.

Yea, that boxing stuff don't work no more. You can never back down. If a bar fight breaks out shoot for the double leg and slap teh gogo on him.

Yea, that boxing stuff don't work no more. You can never back down. If a bar fight breaks out shoot for the double leg and slap teh gogo on him.

If you happen to be in prison and have to defend yourself in the shower pull guard.

That will work right?:icon_conf

Back