Secret Societies

Fnord Healing Foot.

What do you guys want to know?

- The Jake

jake

did you read about secret societies in a book?

if so, any recomended reading materials?

or the internet?

if so, do you remember the site?

thanks for any help

also are you being serious when you said that it is crazy enough shite to make you paranoid...

Despite what you may of heard, the Masons are pretty benign.

The only dubious thing is when they use their connections and influence in the 'real world'.I remember there was an incident in England where the Chief of Police was photographed bowing in deference to a low-level squaddie who had a very high Masonic rank while the Chief was just an 'acolyte'(or whatever).

Doesn't Sherdogs count as a secret society?;)

Jake's one of them learned folk.

Give me some books. I'm a reader as well.

I actually just picked up some new books that I wanna talk about tomorrow. I have Spanish class in 5 hours and I must catch a nap. But tomorrow, I promise.

jake, i'm doing history and french, but i don't study this stuff as part of the course - what i probably should have said was that i have studied this stuff while at uni, with all the resources of the Bodleian Library at my disposal :D

The Secrecy of Evil, the Qabala and its Followers: the Knights Templars, Illuminati, Freemasonry, and other Secret Societies from Early to Modern Times
by M. Alomari

The Occult Conspiracy : Secret Societies - Their Influence and Power in World History
by Michael Howard

Secret Societies of All Ages and Countries
by Charles W. Heckethorn

Secret Societies and Subversive Movements
by Nesta H. Webster

Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League, and the Hidden Paths of Power
by Alexandra Robbins (not published yet - merely here as a potentially good one)

Secret Societies
by Arkon Daraul (MUST HAVE)

New World Order : The Ancient Plan of Secret Societies
by William Still

Mythology of the Secret Societies
by J Roberts

Strange Cults and Secret Societies of Modern London
by Elliott ODonnell

Secret Societies
by Robert Welch

The Occult Conspiracy : Secret Societies - Their Influence and Power in World History
by Michael Howard

for the dedicated reader....anything by two guys called Baigent and Leigh.

these books are pretty common (with a couple of exceptions) - and most should be available from amazon.com, if they can't be found elsewhere. i've read most of them, and they run the gamut from paranoid schoolkid's fare to thorough, scholarly work.

enjoy :D

Originally posted by The Smithmeister
Secret Societies and Subversive Movements
by Nesta H. Webster

Secret Societies of All Ages and Countries
by Charles W. Heckethorn

by Michael Howard

The Secrecy of Evil, the Qabala and its Followers: the Knights Templars, Illuminati, Freemasonry, and other Secret Societies from Early to Modern Times
by M. Alomari (i really want a copy of this book - if anyone can find a copy somewhere, please, think of me :D)

I think I got a copy of Secret Societies and Subversive Movements.... title sounds very very familiar... will take a look.
Infact, I think I may have a couple of these....

I got heaps at home... I will add what I got when I get home (at work currently). I have way, way too may books there on the subject.

For a piece of interesting fiction but to raise the paranoia (as well as the possibilities), might I recommend Robert Anton Wilson's The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Fnord. Also 'Nineteen Eighty Four' by George Orwell. These are good books and will give you some insight into how conspiracies work and how they can happen very easily (because we ALLOW THEM TO). Fnord.

I don't recommend getting wrapped up in it in conspiracy stuff too much, as reading this stuff can give you nightmares, I shit you not. But it serves as an eye opener and to keep a watchful eye, to criticise and be skeptical of everything that happens around you.

- The Jake

apparently, there's a role playing game called Illuminati by Steve Jackson that sums up the whole conspiracy thing quite nicely. can't say for sure, but the dedicated might want to scheck out:

www.sjgames.com

I found one title I do recommend.... if you want to read a very X-File type conspiracy, try

'Cosmic Conspiracy' by Stan Deyo. This fellow was an Aussie from what I can tell (if I recall correctly).

And from the look of it you can order it off Amazon.com:

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts...333/qid=1023092159/sr=1-1/104-2134447-6580767

This is one of the first few conspiracy books I looked into.

Can we consider Scientology a conspiracy? Considering L. Ron Hubbard started the thing to as a money making outfit, now it's almost as pervasive as the Freemasons if not with more clout.... at least financially.... ?

- The Jake

Originally posted by Orb
23 Skidoo ;)

you're not john dillinger, so don't pretend to be, otherwise the gnomes of zurich will be after you. Fnord. :D

Originally posted by The Jake
Can we consider Scientology a conspiracy? Considering L. Ron Hubbard started the thing to as a money making outfit, now it's almost as pervasive as the Freemasons if not with more clout.... at least financially.... ?

not sure - it should be classed as a religion technically, but it does have a slight reputation for strangeness. i ignored this myself, but perhaps it bears further looking into. i'll see what i can do, if anyone's interested. damn, the librarian is gonna start thinking i'm insane..... :D oh, well :D

I think Scientology is the new Freemasonry.

But that's my opinion. Take it for what you will.

Having posted this now they will probably come after me. Don't laugh. I wouldn't be the first person nor will I be the last....

Generally though they seem to prefer to use scare tactics and threaten litigation as opposed to sending hired goons, although I wouldn't put that past them either.

- The Jake

I personally believe that there are twelve old, rich, powerful, evil Jewish men who rule the entire world with an iron fist from a secret mountain lair. They have a personnal vendetta against me for spreading word of their vicious manipulations, which is why I am reduced to near poverty and lack good looks.

Poor genetics and a clearly faltering cerebellum are not to blame, for there is no WAY my own inept, lazy idiocy was responsible for me nearly failing out of HIGH school.

Originally posted by The Jake
I think Scientology is the new Freemasonry.

But that's my opinion. Take it for what you will.

Having posted this now they will probably come after me. Don't laugh. I wouldn't be the first person nor will I be the last....

Generally though they seem to prefer to use scare tactics and threaten litigation as opposed to sending hired goons, although I wouldn't put that past them either.

- The Jake

hmmm...freemasonry is powerful because of it's long tradition, which, if you believe the press stretches to a) the templars, b) the cathars, c) early christians

scientology seems powerful because of its popularity and fame, despite a short (comparatively) 40 year history.

in today's celebrity-obsessed world, i'd say the latter is the most powerful. whether the scientologists can yet rival the masons is uncertain (and i guess we're talking the important members of each group, not the mickey mouse members)

it's true that there's been a lot of cases brought both by and against the church of scientology, and i have heard rumours of violence and intimidation.

however, the same things have been said in the past about the mormons, the quakers, and nearly every other 'religious' group around. so, it's probably fair to assume that some, even much of the scientologists' rep will be based on hearsay and rumour rather than truth.

the problem is, there's not much anyone can do about them - they are not overtly militant, so the ATF can't close down their american centres, just as nothing can be done here in england. in all fairness, people not liking something does not mean that the authorities can do anything, however well-founded that dislike may be.

personally, i like the scientologists even less than i do the masons. at least the masons have been around long enough for people to get a general idea about them (however far that may be from the truth), but the Church is just too new, radical and secretive to be easily accepted. at least the masons are subtle in their influence, while the Church (thank you, Mr Travolta) seem brash and juvenile in comparison. if it came down to a war between the two, i know where my money would be.

LOL @ RangerFTL

wow...

jake and smithmeister...thanks for the info and the book titles as well as the weblinks...

I concur... thankfully though due to the popularity of Scientology they have risen so quickly that they haven't escapted noticed and they're being readily investigated and their exploits discussed and documented almost as rapidly as the Freemasons.

At least Freemasonry comes across as an innocent old men's fraternity (at least at the lower levels), where as Scientology is, even if it is not a conspiracy, potentially more damaging as members drag their family members in the messy crackpot religion that it is.

You won't read about kids being deprived of books, starved and worse in Freemason's meetings.

Although Freemasonry I tend to align with the Illuminati in terms of an organisation shrouded in mystery and steeped in ritual and tradition.... (anyone ever seen their wierd handshakes? Particularly the higher level Freemasons?? EGADS...).

- The Jake

no sweat, punk, mate

i live for three things - you managed to find one of them :D
(martial arts and girls, before anyone asks)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back