Seconds Altering Course of Career

Chuck broke Rich's arm with a kick in his "retirement" fight and was seconds away from a likely TKO (injury) win before he got KTFO with an extremely weak punch. We could have easily seen another major Chuck fight before he left.

Also, Chuck threw a pretty wild headkick at Rashad at the end of Round 1 right at the buzzer which had fight ending potential if the ref didn't step in. Chuck would have fought Forrest for the title if that had happened and actually could have potentially got the belt back instead of losing out the rest of his career.
Chuck was just too slow by then. Rashad too fast.

Garbrandt/Dillashaw I

If that first round is maybe 10 seconds longer Garbrandt potentially gets the finish. TJ was wobbling walking back to his corner.

Cody got comfortable and got caught with a head kick. Never fought like an intelligent human from that point on. Who knows how his career goes if he starches Dillashaw in the first round after styling on Cruz.

thats an awful lot of free space for little rogan in that big wide empty head of yours. nobody has ever said anything about rogan you fucking retard. Gaethje got dropped, legs dont get more stanky than giving out.
Rogaine is the one pushing that narrative and you meatheads slurp it all up. Bc anyone watching the fight saw that Justin wasn't rocked or stanked leg. But but but if only more time. That uppercut could have happened at the opening of the round and it wouldn't have changed anything. Ferg wasn't close to finishing Justin with that uppercut. And if you ain't parroting joe Rogaines false narrative, then you are even slower than previously thought.

Weidman's spinning heel kick.
Everyone os acting like Weidman was dominating the fight. It was 1-1 going into third and third was competitive . I felt like Rockhold was doing better with his kicks and had more on the tank and his counter grappling was great weapon against Chris. Yeah, it is a what if but stop acting like Weidman had win in his pocket

Nate laughing and pointing at Leon instead of following up after rocking him. I don’t think Nate realized he actually rocked him. It may not have changed much for Nate directly, but WW would be a different division possibly.

I

I'm sure Kennedy was stopped by Gastrlum after this fight. He looked old.
He was. Had some early success with the wrestling then the fight slipped out of his grasp.

I was thinking about a couple of instances where just a few seconds, or lack thereof, completely altered the course of someone's career.
couple examples I was thinking of:
- hooker having poirier out on his feet at the end of the second. 5 or 10 more seconds there and i think its a safe bet poirier gets TKO'ed. as a result of the round ending, hooker went on to take a hellacious beating that no doubt altered the rest of his career. he didn't look the same after that. if hooker finished him in the second, does he keep surging and end up with a title shot?
- izzy having poatan out on his feet at the end of the first. if izzy had another 5 or 10 seconds there and same thing, safe bet in a TKO stoppage. alex gets saved by the bell and the rest is history. if izzy tko's him in the first, does izzy then keep surging and go on to become the best middleweight of all time? he probably never ends up fighting strickland if first alex fight went that way

obviously, no way of telling what would've happened, but man, just a couple seconds in that octagon can completely change the trajectory of someone's career.
leon beating usman

yan not kneeing aljo

figgy not hitting that illegal foul against moreno in the first fight

all result in us being in vastly different timelines.

Werdum vs stipe definitely comes to mind for me.

I'm a fan of both but Werdum was my favourite fighter at the time.

and Werdum went from being a very controlled, technical, elite striker, to literally chasing stipe around the cage chin up cause he thought he landed a good one on him.

Was tough to watch, but then nice to see stipe go on the run he did after that win

Yan Aljo 1, 20 seconds more and he’s got a 3rd round in the bag, one round to get through against a gassed shaken up aljo. I mean I still count it as a win, but…

Izzy gastelum, if kelvin tees off instead of shooting for a takedown he probably gets a stoppage win

Yoel rob 2, 5th round, if yoel lets rob up he probably finishes him. I still think yoel won, but he could have made it clear

I’ve always thought about how dumb it was for Lionheart Smith to not take the gimme Dq vs Jones.

Maybe not what you’re looking for but Fedors injury (hand I think?) that caused him not to participate in the last Pride Gran Prix. Wand would go on to replace him and end up on the wrong end of a brutal ko courtesy of Mirko. Had Fedor not injured his hand Wand would not have replaced him and may have entered the title merger still Prides mw champ.

Back