Second watch of Saul-GGG

I watched it twice, the second time without volume.

Canelo fought well for the first four rounds. He fought in spurts to a greater degree the rest of the time.(and admittedly did have success when he did, which is good)

Canelo did absorb some good right hands (on the off chance when G connected) at times he ate them well and other times it looked like it bothered him. The most telling thing to me in this fight was how visibly tired (for a lack of better term) he became due to the constant pressure. Stamina is not on his side and it showed.

Listen I wouldn't speak so poorly of Canelo if people didn't elevate him beyond what he is, a good boxer. On the same breath I'm not going to say that G is any better or rates a higher position. I feel Canelo would of been better served had he been more like a Juan Marquez type of fighter. Take the wins and the loses, but prove you are gutsy fighter. This whole careful planning, over protecting, choose your weight (Canelo weight) past prime fights bullshit is hurting him bad. That being said it's not *entirely* his fault. Oscar *no balls* La Hoya has ALLOT of blame in this.

<20>

No, you've got it all wrong. Canelo dictated that GGG follow him. He made GGG cut the ring off. See, by getting tired, Canelo forced GGG to land more punches. Because Canelo couldn't hurt GGG, GGG was forced to move forward at all times.

I hope that cleared that up for you. I wouldn't want you to have the idea that the dude that gassed and spent the night backing up to stay alive wasn't in control of the situation.

Damn, can't believe I was so foolish! I can see clearly now. That is some 4D chess from Canelo

I thought it was a draw or GGG on the night but I rewatched it and to my surprise I had Canelo winning 7-5 with some very close rounds. And it's not bias because I don't like Canelo and wanted GGG to win. I'll record the HD broadcast when it happens and lock in my final score but this fight was definitely close.

A lot of the outrage is coming from fans and fighters who, on the night, simply watched and had an overall impression of who did better, which isn't how boxing is scored.

I heard that. I was like Jesus lady there is a kid in the room. LOL.

There was a guy on Danny's social media predicting a draw before the cards were read, he said it twice. Did you catch this? I have it timestamped. He goes by the nickname jamesedwardmvm in the video

There was a guy on Danny's social media predicting a draw before the cards were read, he said it twice. Did you catch this? I have it timestamped. He goes by the nickname jamesedwardmvm in the video

I did not pick up on that when I watched it because I wasn't paying attention to the comments.

But damn he did call it. Twice!

I would like to ask this forum if anyone knows or has heard why Canelo wore Winning gloves instead of his usual Everlast gloves.

I notice this when the national anthems were begin sung, and I pointed it out to my buddy.

I did see somewhere on Instagram that he wore winning because he had a possible hand injury coming into the fight.

Or maybe Winning just paid him more to wear their gloves.

Any thoughts?

I said it first time I watched it , Canelo clearly lands the better shots. GGG was more active and pressed the action, lot of those rounds could of gone either way. Hard fight to score.

It was kinda tough to score and canelo did throw the more telling punches but some of those were to far between eachother. GGG was landing on a steady pace.

Its funny that canelo pulled a lara on GGG

I thought it was a draw or GGG on the night but I rewatched it and to my surprise I had Canelo winning 7-5 with some very close rounds. And it's not bias because I don't like Canelo and wanted GGG to win. I'll record the HD broadcast when it happens and lock in my final score but this fight was definitely close.

A lot of the outrage is coming from fans and fighters who, on the night, simply watched and had an overall impression of who did better, which isn't how boxing is scored.

I think the fact you cant score the right way and get different scores on your next viewing shows your lack of knowledge of how to score

Damn, can't believe I was so foolish! I can see clearly now. That is some 4D chess from Canelo

I noticed that GGG didn't make a lot of adjustments either. He did pick up the pace as you said and I guess you can call that an adjustment but I wouldn't. He was really trying to win and was going all out but he was missing that big right hand early and never changed it up as the fight wore on. also canelo was easily getting off the ropes when he wanted to, GGG could not cut off the ring the way he should have. also GGG's punches were very telegraphed and it was easy for canelo to get out of the way, there was no adjustment by GGG. It reminded me a lot of Donaire vs Rigo.

If he made adjustments...they were weak and the wrong adjustments. Canelo went to his left so much towards ggg power all night and ggg only landed one big punch. Lack of adjustments on a guy that has a horrible gas tank and gives you rounds to win

Last edited:
I think the fact you cant score the right way and get different scores on your next viewing shows your lack of knowledge of how to score

What is "the right way?" We're talking about individual opinions on cards here.

I think the idea that someone can't score a fight different ways on different viewings is silly and betrays your lack of understanding of scoring in boxing. Multiple criteria, camera angles, relative expectations, etc. all come into play.

after all the emotion has died down, I challenge everyone to watch it again....confirmation bias aside.

What Struck me about watching again was the sheer amount of punches 3G missed. Canelo made GGG miss a fuck ton of punches and in many instances afterwards, made him pay.

I had Canelo sweeping the first four rounds quite clearly. Round 4 could be argued for GGG but I feel Saul landed the bigger cleaner shots. Rounds 5-6-7-8-9 could easily be scored for GGG but a round or two in the middle rounds could be swing rounds.

Now rounds 10-11-12 I had Canelo winning.

Rounds 10 and 4 could also be argued for GGG but again, upon second viewing I feel Canelo landed the better stuff with better defense.

7-5 for Canelo.

I would like to hear some opinions of those who watched it again.

No matter what, the most clear thing in my mind, you can't claim robbery for either fighter and you could easily have a case for either fighter winning.

With that said, I thought the rounds Canelo won were more clear cut than the rounds GGG won.

I watched it with zero emotions attached. I don't care about either guy. It was just entertainment for me. I watched it only once and had Canelo winning 8 rounds. But most of those rounds were tough to judge and could go either way, depending on how you judge fights. I don't quite understand why people are calling this a robbery but i suspect they might be very emotionally invested in one of these fighters. Either they love GGG or they hate Canelo. Or they simply value a more aggressive style of fighting. Either way, being objective about it, it's difficult to say this wasn't very, very, very close.

Canelo also landed more power punches in 7 rounds, so before saying he obviously lost people should take that into consideration.

I watched it twice, the second time without volume.

Canelo fought well for the first four rounds. He fought in spurts to a greater degree the rest of the time.(and admittedly did have success when he did, which is good)

Canelo did absorb some good right hands (on the off chance when G connected) at times he ate them well and other times it looked like it bothered him. The most telling thing to me in this fight was how visibly tired (for a lack of better term) he became due to the constant pressure. Stamina is not on his side and it showed.

Listen I wouldn't speak so poorly of Canelo if people didn't elevate him beyond what he is, a good boxer. On the same breath I'm not going to say that G is any better or rates a higher position. I feel Canelo would of been better served had he been more like a Juan Marquez type of fighter. Take the wins and the loses, but prove you are gutsy fighter. This whole careful planning, over protecting, choose your weight (Canelo weight) past prime fights bullshit is hurting him bad. That being said it's not *entirely* his fault. Oscar *no balls* La Hoya has ALLOT of blame in this.
Fought well for only 4 rounds but all refs gave him at least 5? Your breakdowns are entirely hyperbole.

youre failing to acknowledge the slickness factor

it doesnt matter if the other guy landed more punches than you if the other guy is "slick." most especially if he is backing up and laying on the ropes the majority of the fight.

thats even slicker and receives more points

its obvious that the 80 percent of the people that believe that golovkin won dont know shit about boxing and the sweet science of slickness
You don't win points for being slick if you're not controlling the action. When Willie Pep was said to win a round without throwing a punch he wasn't laying against the ropes.

Fought well for only 4 rounds but all refs gave him at least 5? Your breakdowns are entirely hyperbole.
Bah, I said he fought good the first four and then spurts from there on. I'm not saying he only won 4 rounds, what I'm saying is the criteria for what other rounds to clearly give him is vague.

ffs it's not like Canelo made it easy to score the majority of those later rounds! Imo he would start off great in every round after the fourth, but he would go about 30seconds and then spend the rest of the round with his back against the ropes or moving. That's not me shitting on him, that's exactly what he did! There's still 2 & half mins up for grabs man!

I can see justifying giving him 5 rounds, I feel like 6 might be reaching because then you have to ask yourself is 30 to 45 seconds of fighting > remainder of the round?

It's a close fight, absolutely but it's not a travesty to give G a flush 3 cards of 115-113 or 116-112 either. Heck I'm cool with even a majority decision. 2-1 on the cards, but come on man, if this was a 15 round fight, there's only one dude walking away and it's not the guy who is fighting to survive in spurts.

And for the record and last dang time I'm not saying G is better boxer or would rate higher then him in some ATG list. But G was the better man that night.

You don't win points for being slick if you're not controlling the action. When Willie Pep was said to win a round without throwing a punch he wasn't laying against the ropes.

i was being totally facetious to the 10 percent clueless people that somehow thought canelo won

in all seriousness i had a large bet on golovkin and knew that he could get jobbed on the cards so i ended up hedging a lot on canelo +400 and +500 in the 9th and 10th rounds. i also had the draw at +2700 so i am happy that i didnt lose going against the house fighter.

and its just not canelo, look at this fuker

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:2155908

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ts-kiryl-relikh-unanimous-decision/101935298/

adelaine bryd and don risher are going to be neck and neck for the worst scorecards of 2017, canelos trout and mayweather socrecards owning the dubious distinction in 2013

GGG Canelo
9 10
9 10
9 10
10 9
10 9
9 10
10 9
9 10
10 9 (alvarez clearly landed 2 best shots)
9 10
9 10
9 10

Back