Second time watching Breaking Bad

Doesn't strike me as a show that would be good on a re-watch.

Loved it first time though.

Still top 3 shows of all time. Top Action/Drama of all time IMO. Sooo good.

And those who never finished because of a few necessary lulls in plot development have no staying power. Every show has it's necessary lulls. Breaking Bad is amazing and anyone who stopped it needs to pick it up again and finish it. Or you may as well be done with TV altogether because it takes an attention span.
i made it to part way through season 4 before i had to give in,its wildly overrated.

i made it to part way through season 4 before i had to give in,its wildly overrated.

I understand people giving up on any show simply because of the time involved so I was coming off a bit strong lol. But there are some terrific payoffs later in the series. It finishes strong too.

On the flip side, I'm rewatching The Sopranos again and it's still just as great as the first time I watched it.

Tony Soprano > Walter White

+1, I think I've watched season 3 - 6 at least 3 times, just as good as the first time. I'm watching season 5 again right now, so good.

+1, I think I've watched season 3 - 6 at least 3 times, just as good as the first time. I'm watching season 5 again right now, so good.
S5: Pride cometh before the fall...

I found Breaking Bad less enjoyable after rewatching it. It's obviously still a great series, but it's just not a show that I can rewatch multiple times.

On the flip side, I'm rewatching The Sopranos again and it's still just as great as the first time I watched it.

Tony Soprano > Walter White
i'm pretty much the opposite, I've rewatched Breaking Bad a few times, and while I loved the Sopranos, I have no desire to rewatch it.

Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and the Sopranos are my top 3 GOAT shows.

Have never re-watched any of them a second time, so may start with Breaking Bad again soon.

Never got into the Wire.

Watched it a second time again about a year ago, still thought that rat bastard jesse should have died.

Walt's son was an ungrateful little shit.

Obviously walt deserved to die.
Totally agree that Jesse shouldn’t have gotten away.

As fucked up as it sound, the 2nd time I watched BB, I became more sympathetic toward Skylar. The first time I thought she was an irredeemable bitch, the 2nd time I feel like she could have handled things better but I can see Walt has put her through quite a bit.

The second time watching it, I don't hate Skyler at all. She just wasn't strong enough to turn Walt in to protect the family. She isn't a bitch at all during the second viewing.

How far are you? I didn't start hating her until Season 3. Very Carmella Soprano vibe about her. Takes advantage of the perks, but whines and plays the victim when it's convenient.

The series creator mentioned in an interview that Walter left Grey Matter because he had an inferiority complex. The viewer tends to assume that Gretchen and Elliot are the bad guys because we see the story from Walt's perspective, but they're really not. Walt ends up becoming an underachiever, secretly very bitter and angry at other people, for what really is a flaw in his own character. His intention for being a drug dealer is never truly pragmatic, he needs to fill this void in his life but he ends up going overboard and doing it in a self-destructive matter. That's why he's really sloppy and doesn't quit while he's ahead. Heisenberg is like the missing piece of his personality that's been kept trapped for too long. If you've ever heard of Jung's shadow, that's a perfect example.

It was an okay show. I wouldn’t rank it in the top 10 of all time but it wasn’t bad.

The series creator mentioned in an interview that Walter left Grey Matter because he had an inferiority complex. The viewer tends to assume that Gretchen and Elliot are the bad guys because we see the story from Walt's perspective, but they're really not. Walt ends up becoming an underachiever, secretly very bitter and angry at other people, for what really is a flaw in his own character. His intention for being a drug dealer is never truly pragmatic, he needs to fill this void in his life but he ends up going overboard and doing it in a self-destructive matter. That's why he's really sloppy and doesn't quit while he's ahead. Heisenberg is like the missing piece of his personality that's been kept trapped for too long. If you've ever heard of Jung's shadow, that's a perfect example.

I never understood the creation of his character. Prior to developing cancer, he was a former chemist turned high school teacher. I don't know his education level but he clearly has a graduate degree of some kind. He still is quite versed in the technical aspects of chemistry even after having taught high school for i presume at least 20 years. At any point he could have entered industry and be paid well or taught UNN albequrqe. He is like the least career trapped career person in the world. He acts like someone who wasn't in control of their life but he was always in control. He choose a risk adverse profession with no suprises. He then starts cooking meth and gets on board for a train of events that he has near no control. Something aboit all that doesn't sit because he was never buried or pushed into a life he didn't want to live. Skyler ,too, wasn't an unsupporting controlling wife who made him a small man. She likely made more than him and with the cost of living in Albequrque and their lifestyle they should have been saving up decent money.

The person in my opinion that feels this way is a middle aged white male, low education and doesn't have ready options, had a well paying blue collar job but got dumped due to outsourcing or automation, works regularly with people with criminal past, has with a wife who lives at home and has too many kids, the marriage was based on the premise of him supporter her, she comes from a wealthy or old fashioned family, history of questionable get rich fast financial decision like daytrading or oil speculation that he thinks he can make it work because he sees himself smarter than the experts, simple and bordline racist political views that push personal failures onto other groups, little to no world travel, general contempt for anyone educated, feels cheated out of the 1950s american dream.

Last edited:
I just finished binge watching Breaking Bad this week for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Bryan Kranston was perfect. The character arch he goes through is really cool to see.

With that being said, I don't think I'd re-watch the series. Great tv series, but not the best.

Back