Sean Sherk Vs Today’s Top Fighters ?

he'd be able to win decisions vs most of them. great ncaa wrestler. striking wise tho he'd get lit up. too short and a short reach for 155, even 145 at this point

Sherk never wrestled in college...

He’s an athletic boxer wrestler with the right mindset and skill level... he’d do just fine, but the depth at 155 is even deeper now then when Sherk was fighting.. So I doubt he’d become champion, but I’d think he would be a top 20 LW..

He was outstanding in his day but I don't see his style translating well to current elite MMA.

He had dominant TDs and top control (though he was very predictable and didn't have much in the way of finishing skills).

These days TDD is at soooooo much higher of a level. Khabib is about the only guy I can think of who can consistently keep top fighters on the ground and he strings TDs together better than anyone in MMA history in my opinion. Sherk had very basic takedowns but was successful due to his speed and power, that isn't enough anymore, he also had crisp boxing but again, he mainly used fundamental techniques. I don't see his boxing opening up TDs on modern fighters and I don't see him keeping guys down as well as he did in his day because fighters today are amazing at wall walking.

He was a beast, the techniques he did he was an absolute master of, but I don't think that would be enough to succeed against the top 10 guys these days.

Sherk was basically un-sub-able, so I could see him pummeling Pettis or Chiesa due to the style matchup and maybe Edson Barbosa.

I think he would have demolished Aoki if they ever fought. He could probably beat Nate too, I don't think Nate would have the ability to keep that fight standing and Sherk boxed very effectively with Nick as I recall.
I could see him beating Condit maybe but that is about it for WW. Anyone who has sub par TDD who relied on subs would be fucked.

All that said, the man put on some snooZers back in the day.
TD, half guard, enough strikes to stay there until the end of the round, repeat.

Sherk never wrestled in college...
where did he wrestle then? i thought he was d-1 for the longest time, but ur right it doesnt say he was NCAA. he def has a wrestling background tho.

Sherk was the man, but he'd be fighting @145 in today's UFC. I know he used to fight at 170lbs as well, but he's too damn short for 155 today.
I think he would die if he tried to go to 145. He's a pretty thick dude.

He was outstanding in his day but I don't see his style translating well to current elite MMA.

Honestly I think you're right except for the Carlos fight I think he would destroy him right now. The dude's completely shot in my opinion.

And as for his skill set I'm going to break it down by division I think he beats 70% of the guys at 170 lb which I think is 200 fighters right now. And probably beats about 90% of the guys at 155 I think that's the biggest division in the UFC.

Let's face it outside of the top 15 there is not many people who could give him trouble.
In my opinion the average level of talent of the UFC fighters isn't as high as most people think especially outside the top 10. Heck there's is some Chinese 205 lbs I'm sure he could beat up.
Although at the end of the day I think he's probably inside the top 10 of any division he wants to compete in from 155 to 145 to 170 pounds not to mention the theoretical 165 pound division.

I mean this definitely people he can beat at 170 especially because a lot of the guys are older at the moment.
And he can just use his physical advantages against them.
And we know he's a top guy in 155 lb.
But who knows at145 I personally think the cut might be too much for him. But if he's healthy I see him doing very good.

He had dominant TDs and top control (though he was very predictable and didn't have much in the way of finishing skills).

These days TDD is at soooooo much higher of a level. Khabib is about the only guy I can think of who can consistently keep top fighters on the ground and he strings TDs together better than anyone in MMA history in my opinion. Sherk had very basic takedowns but was successful due to his speed and power, that isn't enough anymore, he also had crisp boxing but again, he mainly used fundamental techniques. I don't see his boxing opening up TDs on modern fighters and I don't see him keeping guys down as well as he did in his day because fighters today are amazing at wall walking.

He was a beast, the techniques he did he was an absolute master of, but I don't think that would be enough to succeed against the top 10 guys these days.

Sherk was basically un-sub-able, so I could see him pummeling Pettis or Chiesa due to the style matchup and maybe Edson Barbosa.

I think he would have demolished Aoki if they ever fought. He could probably beat Nate too, I don't think Nate would have the ability to keep that fight standing and Sherk boxed very effectively with Nick as I recall.
I could see him beating Condit maybe but that is about it for WW. Anyone who has sub par TDD who relied on subs would be fucked.

All that said, the man put on some snooZers back in the day.
TD, half guard, enough strikes to stay there until the end of the round, repeat.

He’s an athletic boxer wrestler with the right mindset and skill level... he’d do just fine, but the depth at 155 is even deeper now then when Sherk was fighting.. So I doubt he’d become champion, but I’d think he would be a top 20 LW..

I think he'd be the bottom half of the top 10. 6 or 7

nice response how about instead of watching a highlight video of a fighter and basing your opinions on that you actually try watching some of his full fights. Sean was a laynpray style fighter that had just enough striking skills not to look like a Gracie on the feet.

That's true but at the end of the day it was effective. And still is effective to this day.

That's true but at the end of the day it was effective. And still is effective to this day.
his biggest attribute was his cardio do you really think with the USADA being around he'd be be able to control ppl the way he did back then?

anyone with a join date 3 years after Sherk's last fight shouldn't be commenting on him.
Please, lots of people are on like their 5th account here. They used to ban people for just about anything. I got banned for saying Ronda was "gross" once.

Please, lots of people are on like their 5th account here. They used to ban people for just about anything. I got banned for saying Ronda was "gross" once.
and yet I've only been banned once since '03 due to myself screwing up. I even left this website until '06 due to then amout of fighter bashing ppl did on here to Baroni, Belfort, Sylvia, and Cro Cop if ppl got the ban hammer they brought it on themselves.

Sherk would be a 135 or 145 and would be very good. Can he defeat USADA, not sure.

Sherk loses to the entire top 10 at LW aside from Barboza, 10-15 who cares

A lot of hate on the muscle shark in this thread. You can say he will get beat today at 155 or 170 without dimensioning his abilities or skill. The guy literally only lost to other champion level fighters.

At 155 he could beat anyone from #6 and down. #6 Barboza can’t stop good takedowns, especially when he is tired. Sherk would probably struggle in the first round getting Barboza down but he would get him down in the second and third. Sherk wouldn’t be able to stop him with ground and pound, but he could stay on top of him the rest of the way.

Sherk would most likely be at 145 in today’s mma. Frankie Edgar is #3 and while being a step behind, Sherk was never in danger of being stopped by Edgar and had moments of success in each round. That leads me to believe Sherk could make a competitive fight with anyone in that division today.

Today’s fighters are a touch more rounded but most of them aren’t great at any single thing. It’s hard for me to think that a guy with probably be the best cardio in the game, top end wrestling and a solid chin couldn’t compete with today’s fighters.

Top 5-10 at 145 isn’t out of the question for Sean Sherk.

Back