Seahawks cancel meeting w/ Kaepernick over free speech

So the Seahawks canceled a meeting with Colin Kaepernick today because he wouldnt guarantee them he wouldnt exercise his right to free speech by kneeling in protest of the anthem next year. Never mind the fact he is by far the best qb available and fits their system.

If this is not proof that he is blackballed and the owners only want sheep, then I don't know what is. Congrats to Kaep for standing his ground and not bending over for the Seahawks. I want him to play again, but by now his legacy is secure. And today the Seahawks have egg on their face.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sit-colin-kaepernick-say-stop-kneeling-anthem

There in no proof if what you wrote only opinion

The last time the Vikings played in the Super Bowl, Abba was topping the charts.
So yeah....

I am not a Vikings or Patriots fan, just being fair. But sure the Vikings have not been to a SuperBowl in a very long time. It was the Seahawks who could not punch it in the endzone and lost to the Patriots on the game’s final play. That loss really places them in the Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills territory of choking. I even bolded the text for you. Pot calling the kettle black, my friend.

scott-norwood-buffalo-wide-right-buffalo-loses-super-bowl-xxv.gif

Never had a job that didn't restrict my speech and behavior. Never had one that allowed for using my employer as a platform for personal political views. If I told my prospective employer I'd be uncooperative and associating them with anti-American sentiment I would expect to not be hired.

Is the anthem a part of the job though?

Dude, you're racist. You may not know it yet but you are. Don't let your pride cloud your judgement like your idol Kap.

There is no white agenda to kill/supress blacks. Any people you meet that are being racist are just that, individual people. You're eating this MSM narriative up like KFC.
Huh?

Kaep should go play in the CFL. Trudeau will love him. And there are a ton of liberal Canadiens who like Trudeau.

No.

Just no.

We got enough political problems.

Hell bring to much drama from down south to the great white north.

Hell kneel during the Canadian anthem because of how he feels about the American politics and thats some bullshit we dont need or want.

Is the anthem a part of the job though?

The thing you are missing is this isn't some office job. NFL players are entertainers. For whatever reason people don't seem to grasp that. Their job is to play a game that people pay money to see because they enjoy it. That's it. You are as valuable a player as you bring money to the organization. Even if you are a good player if you push fans away because you are unpopular as a human for whatever reason you won't find employment.

good

you disrespect your country you should face consequences

hope nobody ever gives him a job, as their right in free market

there are better ways to protest than basically saying that you hate the country you live in

So the Seahawks canceled a meeting with Colin Kaepernick today because he wouldnt guarantee them he wouldnt exercise his right to free speech by kneeling in protest of the anthem next year. Never mind the fact he is by far the best qb available and fits their system.

If this is not proof that he is blackballed and the owners only want sheep, then I don't know what is. Congrats to Kaep for standing his ground and not bending over for the Seahawks. I want him to play again, but by now his legacy is secure. And today the Seahawks have egg on their face.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sit-colin-kaepernick-say-stop-kneeling-anthem
Gotta say I respect him for sticking to his values and being willing to pay the consequences for it.

so you feel like bosses should allow their employees to politically demonstrate on the job, even if the boss doesn't want them too, and even if the boss might hold an opposing political view?

if so you then you need to report yourself to a psyche ward.

Sounds like you are advocating forced patriotism.

good

you disrespect your country you should face consequences

hope nobody ever gives him a job, as their right in free market

there are better ways to protest than basically saying that you hate the country you live in

To be clear, it is a song. The national anthem is a song. A song does not have feelings, nor can it be disrespected.

How do you feel about all the people on their phones, talking,walking around,etc during the anthem. Are they "disrespecting their country"?

The notion that kap is "disrespecting" his country by silently protesting is simply absurd.

I am not a Vikings or Patriots fan, just being fair. But sure the Vikings have not been to a SuperBowl in a very long time. It was the Seahawks who could not punch it in the endzone and lost to the Patriots on the game’s final play. That loss really places them in the Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills territory of choking. I even bolded the text for you. Pot calling the kettle black, my friend.

scott-norwood-buffalo-wide-right-buffalo-loses-super-bowl-xxv.gif
One of my favorite .gifs of all time even if the VaGiants won. @Revolver

This isn't a free speech issue. Just like the right whining about boycotts of Ben Shapiro and Richard Spencer is a free speech issue.

In short, Kaep exercised his political speech and now the corporations that are the teams are exercising their commercial speech in making the business decision not to sign him.

No right to free speech at work. Simple as that. Good riddance.

Well, this isn't true if you work for the government. If you are a government employee for work for a company contracting with a state, local, or federal government, you do have 1A protections at work.

Gotta say I respect him for sticking to his values and being willing to pay the consequences for it.

Nah.

He just likes the smell of being a martyr as Stephen A put it.

Last year he said he wouldn't kneel anymore, this year he won't commit to saying he won't only after getting an invite to workout with the Hawks.

He still won't be clear about his salary demands, but it was rumored he wanted starter money last year before the season.

He's playing the media for attention.

I can see why Kaepernick's protest in uniform is something that teams want to avoid. But I also think the right wing needs to get over the fact that many athletes don't respect the US in the same way they do. Economically punishing those with whom you disagree on politics, which is also a favorite tactic of the left, undermines social trust. It's vicious and intolerant to try and drive someone out of business because you disagree with his politics.
Who says he doesn't respect the US though? His protest was always about bringing attention to police brutality and not disrespecting the US, which is why he eventually chose to kneel instead of simply sit. He responded to the feelings of veterans who felt offended and made that switch in response.

But its never enough for many on the right, they want black men to keep quit and keep their heads down.
I still don't see what the fuss is about the players kneeling.

Isn't kneeling more submissive than standing?

Wouldn't kneeling be showing reverence not disdain?
It is a show of reverence. At first he would only sit during the anthem but then he ended up corresponding with some other former NFL player and veteran and they talked about the issue and decided that kneeling would be better because it was a sign of respect but it would nonetheless distinguish him from the other players and continue to get his point across.

Nah.

He just likes the smell of being a martyr as Stephen A put it.

Last year he said he wouldn't kneel anymore, this year he won't commit to saying he won't only after getting an invite to workout with the Hawks.

He still won't be clear about his salary demands, but it was rumored he wanted starter money last year before the season.

He's playing the media for attention.
Well he's putting his money where his mouth his and risking a salary, seems to me that its a genuine commitment to the issue. He could've got media attention in other ways while still playing ball with the team owners and agreeing not to kneel

Well he's putting his money where his mouth his and risking a salary, seems to me that its a genuine commitment to the issue. He could've got media attention in other ways while still playing ball with the team owners and agreeing not to kneel

But he's also making a lot of money right now doing what he's doing.

I agree that he took a stand but I differ on how significant or "risky" it is/was.

Kaepernick is a puke and is getting what he deserves. He's good enough to be a back up, but he's too disruptive and not worth the headache for any team to sign him.

Last edited:
This isn't a free speech issue. Just like the right whining about boycotts of Ben Shapiro and Richard Spencer is a free speech issue.

In short, Kaep exercised his political speech and now the corporations that are the teams are exercising their commercial speech in making the business decision not to sign him.

Well, this isn't true if you work for the government. If you are a government employee for work for a company contracting with a state, local, or federal government, you do have 1A protections at work.

Besides the Packers football teams are privately owned and they have every right to tell him to protest on his own time.

Kaep rubs people the wrong way because he's a huge poser. He wants to bitch about white privilege and be all Afrocentric when he is a product of a white high class family that adopted him and lives a very privileged life style. Take the fro off of him and you wouldn't even know he was black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back