Seahawks cancel meeting w/ Kaepernick over free speech

Haha! That's some funny shit! Fuck Kap. He sucks anyway.

I see your point that each incident doesn't matter much. But every time a right winger justifies silencing someone because they are an "SJW" or a lefty silences someone because they are "alt-right", the room we have to express ourselves becomes slightly smaller.

no, if we tried using our jobs to make political statements wed be fired too. kaeps gone get over it

no, if we tried using our jobs to make political statements wed be fired too. kaeps gone get over it

1. So why did the right complain when the guy from Google got fired for using company e-mail to express his political views?

2. The unwillingness of the Seahawks to hire this guy is completely understandable. They realize that even in a very liberal town, the guy is still going to affect their bottom line to some extent.

My issue is why the fan themselves try to financially punish a guy for his stupid political views. Why not just trash him in the WR or on Twitter?

3. Boycotts are a way to silence people. They aren't debate and the overuse of them on both sides is greatly adding to the toxic political environment we inhabit.

1. So why did the right complain when the guy from Google got fired for using company e-mail to express his political views?

2. The unwillingness of the Seahawks to hire this guy is completely understandable. They realize that even in a very liberal town, the guy is still going to affect their bottom line to some extent.

My issue is why the fan themselves try to financially punish a guy for his stupid political views. Why not just trash him in the WR or on Twitter?

3. Boycotts are a way to silence people. They aren't debate and the overuse of them on both sides is greatly adding to the toxic political environment we inhabit.

1. ive never even heard of that its such a non issue no one cares
2. yes
3. where were all these people when tebow was blacklisted? the nfl in general is fucking disgusting they practice age and gender discrimination (and then have the nerve to threaten to boycott north carolina over cross gender bathrooms when they themselves are using illegal hiring practices). i absolutely hate the nfl it represents everything wrong with the united states but in the case of kaepernick they arent necessarily doing anything wrong.

3. where were all these people when tebow was blacklisted? the nfl in general is fucking disgusting they practice age and gender discrimination (and then have the nerve to threaten to boycott north carolina over cross gender bathrooms when they themselves are using illegal hiring practices). i absolutely hate the nfl it represents everything wrong with the united states but in the case of kaepernick they arent necessarily doing anything wrong.

Right. So you dislike Tebow being blacklisted because people disagree with his views, which he expressed while in uniform by kneeling, but you are fine when it happens to the guy you disagree with.

Imo boycotts are like lawsuits. Each individual case may be justifiable, but when society becomes overly litigated, social trust is eroded. We all suffer for it. Same with the small intolerances we show for people like Kaepernick. Live and let live. Retaliate against bad ideas with better ideas, not by silencing them.

This is NOT a Free Speech issue.

Government has not abridged his Free Speech. He has every right to say whatever the fuck he wants and the 49ers and the rest of the NFL have the right to say, "fuck off, you are costing us 20% of our business."

Waaaaa I filed a lawsuit against the league and all its owners. Now they won’t hire me! Racism. Whities. Social injustice.

So the Seahawks canceled a meeting with Colin Kaepernick today because he wouldnt guarantee them he wouldnt exercise his right to free speech by kneeling in protest of the anthem next year. Never mind the fact he is by far the best qb available and fits their system.

From what I heard, his numbers were on the decline and started to suck when he started the kneel game. So I don't think he is "by far" the best anything.

NBA live attendance, viewership, and revenues up for the fourth year in a row. They abandoned early promises made during the football season to link arms and do all sorts of protesting. Kept the season mostly a-political. What activism took place took place away from the court (i.e. Lebron's social media).

NFL...viewership down massively two years in a row following over half a century of yearly increases (it literally went up every single year).

I think the Seattle Seahawks finally remembered what they actually are: a business. This is good business.

I still don't see what the fuss is about the players kneeling.

Isn't kneeling more submissive than standing?

Wouldn't kneeling be showing reverence not disdain?

Free speech is more than just a limitation on government censorship. That's really just the bare minimum. It's also a social ethic. I think we all need to show a lot more tolerance for opposing opinions.

I can see why Kaepernick's protest in uniform is something that teams want to avoid. But I also think the right wing needs to get over the fact that many athletes don't respect the US in the same way they do. Economically punishing those with whom you disagree on politics, which is also a favorite tactic of the left, undermines social trust. It's vicious and intolerant to try and drive someone out of business because you disagree with his politics.

There's much more to freedom of expression than avoiding government censorship. We also need to commit to the notion that we ought to persuade and argue rather than silence our opponents. How free is a man to speak his mind if he loses his livelihood for doing so? I disagree with Colin Kaepernick. I disagree with him enough that I might root against him in a game. But why should I take pleasure in him being blacklisted while complaining about conservative speakers being blacklisted on our campuses?

I hope a team has the guts to give the man a job, because while he's not a great quarterback, at a minimum he could be an experienced backup somewhere. And his political views ought to be irrelevant in the decision. By giving Kaep room to speak his mind, it gives us all more room t o speak ours.
I agree with you. The problem is this is a business and we lose sight of that when we get involved in these situations. The only thing about it I will say is unlike most of the rest of the work force professional sports is not a "right to work" environment. It's really a privilege to get to do this, a sad privilege because you basically beat your body to shit, but for every person that makes it in pro sports there are a 1,000 that didn't for some reason or another.
Sad fact is if Kaepernick had started his protest right after he went to the superbowl the narrative would be very different. He started it after having abysmal seasons. The TS said "Never mind the fact he is by far the best qb available and fits their system". I don't necessarily think he is the best option. First off the guy has lost weight, supposedly switching to a Vegan diet (he could have maintained it had he done it smart), which means he lost muscle mass, he's been figured out by defenses and he's aged meaning lost a step. Finally, the league has a different view of "on field disruptions" vs "off field disruptions", you beat your wife, drive drunk, beat up a hooker, shoot yourself in the leg..........as long as you can still rush 1,000 yards and don't screw up in the locker room or cause on field distractions it's more forgivable. Prime example, Lawrence Phillips, the guy was a nightmare off the field a complete trainwreck, as long as he played well he got chance after chance. One of his last chances, when he played for the Dolphins one of the things that got him cut was during a film review he missed a block and the quarterback got creamed, Phillips burst out laughing pointing at the quarterback mocking him. They said it was his off field antics but that laugh and that missed block along with other on field miscues and lack of yardage were what really did him in.

Kaepernick is still a very talented athlete, but that doesn't mean he's the best option. FIrst off, who's going to bring him on as a first stringer? Who'd want to pay him what he's going to demand as a 2nd or 3rd stringer? He opted out of a contract with the 49ers, it isn't like they cut him. So he opts out thinking he's headed to greener pastures, but in the process hires an attorney threatening to sue the owner's association and NFL, who in their right mind wants to deal with that liability? I know he came down here to Miami and showed up wearing a Fidel Castro shirt, then complained the Dolphins didn't want him, the Cuban community nearly rioted when he showed up (honestly think Kaepernick dodged a bullet on that one, the Dolphins are just a mess). The guy is his own worst enemy and his timing sucks. I feel the same way you do, I wouldn't cheer for the guy, but I don't feel he doesn't deserve a chance, I also feel the league weighs the risk vs reward and right now they all see the risk as too great.

I agree with you. The problem is this is a business and we lose sight of that when we get involved in these situations. The only thing about it I will say is unlike most of the rest of the work force professional sports is not a "right to work" environment. It's really a privilege to get to do this, a sad privilege because you basically beat your body to shit, but for every person that makes it in pro sports there are a 1,000 that didn't for some reason or another.

Yep. Which is why I'm not taking the Seahawks themselves to task so much as right wing fans who are attempting to financially punish Kaepernick by boycotting either the NFL as a whole or any team that hires him.

It is their right to not watch. But it is intolerant to intentionally try to silence speech with which we disagree.

Please dont derail the thread or I will report your posts.

I find it amazing that people are so bothered by Kaep trying to exercise his rights. Even most servicepeople agree he should be allowed

LoL. So want to restrict my free speech? Is this not the right venue for speech you don't agree with? Oh the irony.

Yep. Which is why I'm not taking the Seahawks themselves to task so much as right wing fans who are attempting to financially punish Kaepernick by boycotting either the NFL as a whole or any team that hires him.

It is their right to not watch. But it is intolerant to intentionally try to silence speech with which we disagree.
We agree on it, but also we have to remember viewership and financial support or lack there of is more damaging than the voiced objection to his position. If everyone said to any team that brought him on "we respect his right to his position, but we won't attend or watch your games if he's on your team nor will we buy your merchandise" that would have just as much of an impact if not more than people that actually show up to the games and Boo him or buy one of his jerseys so they can vandalize it. It reminds me of the old adage about Howard Stern, the people that hated him listened longer than the people that loved him. His controversy was ratings gold, Kaepernick's isn't or at least the league and owners don't think it is.

Meanwhile a shitty bills team made the playoffs with Haushka. Kickers in reality are super underrated. They win and lose games.

Very underrated. They don't usually get paid what they are worth either

The NFL isnt what this protest is against, the NFL never pulled anyone over, the NFL never shot a suspect unjustly. So for this protest to be so focused on the NFL is more evidence of its irrationality and lack of purpose.

Let this sink in, Kap can't get a job cause he's not that good, just like you're not a good troll. Sorry you spent 150 or more on a jersey, hang it on your wall since he's a folk hero to you.
These owners have franchises worth anywhere from 500 mil to 3 billion and you think that a bunch of business ignorant players should run the team ? Then you think that the old white dudes are out of touch?
Dude, you're racist. You may not know it yet but you are. Don't let your pride cloud your judgement like your idol Kap.

There is no white agenda to kill/supress blacks. Any people you meet that are being racist are just that, individual people. You're eating this MSM narriative up like KFC.

Any given owner can blackball all they want, all day long. They just can't collude. Does anyone actually think that 1 single owner had to be convinced by others to dislike Kaep? Nevermind that he will endanger their bottom line.

Back